PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new motor.

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 10:41 AM
After purchasing a new motor not too long ago today I've put it in for it's 20 Hr service but alas I forgot to take my log book.Mainly because I've never had a log book of an outboard before.
Anyway I've just been doing some light reading of the owner's manual and came across the bit about breaking in a new engine.
Not word for word it reads along these lines.......
-Engine requires a 10 hour break in period
-First hour use the boat at varying speed up to 2000rpm
-Second hour increase speed up to planing speed but avoid full throttle
-For the remaining 8 hours operate the engine at any speed but avoid operating at WOT for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Now this is where confusion sets in.....when the motor was fitted it had to be prop tested and for the correct prop to be chosen I had to load the boat up in a way I would normally use it. A bit of gear, three guys, full of fuel and water on the boat and then the dealer started to do prop comparisons in hole shot performance, top end speed, WOT rpm and the likes.So what actually happen was that the engine was used at WOT for the first 5 hours or so to prop test it.

Ummmmmm....is this the end of the world? Have they reduced the life of my engine? Am I being paranoid?:-?

lucee81
13-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Would it matter if the world is ending this year anyway:P:P

Triple
13-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Some say it's better to run em in hard.. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
They run them full throttle at the factory to test them don't they?
2 stroke or 4 banger?
If a 4 then I would of done my own oil/filter changes (with the correct running in oil if thats what manufacturer uses) during break in before 20hrs but..

Captain Seaweed
13-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I wouldnt worry mate, It was never mentioned to me when I picked mine up except for dont sit on the one rev for ages try and vary it for the first tank???? When mine was prop tested it was done empty??? I am running a 17 pitch, what are you running Anthony?

Agrav8_and_Lulu
13-02-2012, 11:24 AM
My book also stated, use mix 25:1 for the first 5 hours and then after that, go on and use a
100:1 mix. My engine is a suzuki 30 2011.

Captain Seaweed
13-02-2012, 11:27 AM
agrav8 these are 300hp 4 strokes in question. But my new yammi 2 stroke 15HP was as you said.

robtarr
13-02-2012, 11:40 AM
nah....you've definitely buggered it Anthony....better go and buy another new one and be more careful next time ....happy to take the stuffed one off your hands though
cheers Rob

Spaniard_King
13-02-2012, 11:43 AM
The run in perios is a "nice thing to do"

I cant say it helps or doesn't. I have seen big V6's going flat straight out of the box with no detriment to the engine (%29 at WOT)

Axl
13-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I've always gone by the book and used the break in period. My engines have been alot smaller than yours though Muddy Toes all 2 strokes a 25h/p, 50h/p & now a 60 h/p.

I recon if Spaniard_King says you will be ok than that would be good enough for me however, I am surprised with what you have just spent on your new donk you didnt read the manual before using it.

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the insight guys....Marty I'm running a 17 at the moment but I still can't get past 5300 rpm....the same as what I got with the 19.I'm going to get in touch with Solas soon and see if they can recommend something.

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 12:11 PM
I've always gone by the book and used the break in period. My engines have been alot smaller than yours though Muddy Toes all 2 strokes a 25h/p, 50h/p & now a 60 h/p.

I recon if Spaniard_King says you will be ok than that would be good enough for me however, I am surprised with what you have just spent on your new donk you didnt read the manual before using it.

To be honest Axl it was pretty stupid of me wasn't it but the thing is it was the dealer doing all the driving during the prop testing.

Axl
13-02-2012, 12:44 PM
To be honest Axl it was pretty stupid of me wasn't it but the thing is it was the dealer doing all the driving during the prop testing.

I recon I would have panicked a bit (s#&t myself) if I were in the same position as you but, you'd like to think that these guys that are doing these set up's ie: the dealers know what they are doing.

BTW my missues lunched a new washing machine once cause she didnt read the manual but hey that aint no 300h/p 4 banger.

thelump
13-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I went for the water test with mine Anthony and they gave it a squirt of WOT to see what RPM it would get. It was recommended to me just not to go full noise for long periods of time and to vary speed/rpm for the first 10hrs or so. Where are you going to get your 20hr service done as I am up to 15 already. Did you shop around?

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 01:08 PM
It's at Wynnum Marine as we speak mate....I didn't really shop around because of a heap of good wraps I've heard about them and location wise they're about the most convenient.

Apollo
13-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Are you paranoid about motors breaking down out in the middle of the big blue? Why?

Captain Seaweed
13-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Anthony I take mine there too. I also sit on 5300 rpm. Solas have heard of this and aparently have a 4 blade that will suit. I am happy for you to spend the money and try out first though :)

fishfeeder
13-02-2012, 01:39 PM
That's what you get for reading the manual !!! :-X
I always thought the manual was there for when it wouldn't go.... NOT for when its running fine....

If the dealer did the prop testing, you know who to knee cap if something happens down the track !!

Cheers

Boat Hog
13-02-2012, 04:30 PM
MT, you should be glad you're not running in a Verado;

For the first 2 hours, up to 4500 RPM and run at WOT for 1 minute every 10 minutes. Apparently the Verado motors need this time at WOT to help seat the rings, otherwise they may leak fuel into the oil.:o

I tried running in the motor offshore and it's a bit hard in a 2 meter swell with seas of 1+ meter. After nearly turning my good lady into a jibbering mess, I called it a day after running for only an hour.::)

Did the rest of the running in up the Clarence river .... getting 45+ knots @ 5800 RPM!

Cheers,

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Hey Macca just a bit of FYI the 20 hour on my v6 was about the $480 mark.

And maybe you should buy the Solas prop Marty but when it comes time to sell the boat give it to me and then you can fit both of our 17's to it to give the new buyer a one of a kind 6 blader........

Captain Seaweed
13-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Ha funny thing is Anthony the next boat may need both props :-X so ..ok I will take you up on that!!!

rosco1974
13-02-2012, 05:48 PM
my new suzukis where the same for the 1st 10hrs,have had my 140hp suzukis for 6 weeks and have done 43hrs on them..cost me 280 for the 20hr service
cheers rosco

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Ha funny thing is Anthony the next boat may need both props :-X so ..ok I will take you up on that!!!

You may want to check but I'm not sure the Yammie props will fit onto the 557 Seven Marine engine.....just putting it out there.

rocklobster
13-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Do you have a Suzuki or a new Offshore Yammy?

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 09:15 PM
New F300 Yammie mate

trymyluck
14-02-2012, 04:58 AM
Mate, just on the off chance how about fitting an extra high volume fuel pump. Worse case scenario is you can become a fuel bowser out at Fitzroy for a couple of hours............:-X:-X:-X

Catweb
14-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Get yourself an Etec, no break in, flat knacker straight out of the box.

Tin hat on.............

Axl
14-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Get yourself an Etec, no break in, flat knacker straight out of the box.

Tin hat on.............

Some good advice here Muddy Toes lol. Get rid of that yammy and get an ebomb.

PinHead
14-02-2012, 08:32 PM
MT..I reckon the problems started when you changed the colour to grey. Black is far better.

Muddy Toes
14-02-2012, 10:58 PM
But when you mix black with white doesn't it make grey?

It's like the best of both worlds.......

ShaneC
14-02-2012, 11:09 PM
They run them flat stick at the factory before they put them in the crate anyway. I'm sure it will be fine mate.