PDA

View Full Version : to salt the mullet or not salt the mullet that is the question?.....

sambino
13-02-2012, 08:19 AM
just wondering what everyone reckons about salting mullet you intend to use as bait over not salting it. i kept getting told to salt it but cant get a good reason why...ok you can store it out of the fridge/freezer for a while i dunno how long, Do you?
and obviously it makes it tougher however i dont have a problem with it coming off the hook when it is fresh anyway perhaps the meat my be a tad easier for the fish to chew off than when it is salted i dunno.
can i salt fresh mullet that has recently been frozen if i defrost it?

nigelr
13-02-2012, 03:35 PM
For fishing the surf or rocks I salt tailor but not mullet, mullet stays together a bit better I find.
However when using tailor inshore, I don't salt it as I like the way it forms a bit of a burley trail as it thaws.
Yes you can salt thawed fish quite successfully. If I thaw a fish for use as bait and then don't use it, I will generally salt it rather than just re-freeze it again. It does toughen it up nicely IMO.

tropicrows
13-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I salt my mullet and use "lucky Phill's" recipe, it works a treat. Phill did a post on here how to salt mullet some time back. I still vacuum pack and freeze it after salting and it keeps in excess of 12 months. The mullet gets tougher but retains it's colour and smell.

lee8sec
13-02-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?151773-Salting-down-bait...how-to-guide-!!!!&highlight=salting+mullet

i salt most fresh caught bait before freezing it. Definatly makes it tougher but can dry it out too much at times. Leigh

sambino
15-02-2012, 07:48 AM
thanks to all the replies good to know what others do.