PDA

View Full Version : Boat ID?

dugggy
13-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Hi all,
Been lurking here a while,looks like a very knowledgeable crowd!!
I am wondering if anyone can help ID the boat in the attached pics.Approx 27ft, Cummins diesel.Have been told possibly a Haines but I am not convinced.
Thanks in advance.
Doug

Blackened
13-02-2012, 11:46 AM
G'day

I haven't seen a haines like that.... ever, bit those lines running up to the bow are very distinguishable, I bet BM has an answer to this question.

Dave

dugggy
13-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Agreed!! Also I would think the "bumps" on the sides near the transom would give a clue as to its identity. I have trolled the net using any titbits of info I do have (engine type,alleged former name ect) but to no avail.
Regards Doug

randell
13-02-2012, 06:30 PM
My friend suggested you try www.boatpoint.com.au , stern drive.....

randell

The Woo
13-02-2012, 06:38 PM
It's certainly no Haines, despite the forward cabin windows vaugely resembling those on a Haines 850.

It's not triggering any sort of memories for me...... if I'd seen one I'd surely remember it trust me! lol

Is this in FNQ somewhere or ?

dugggy
13-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I've spent countless hours on all the sales sites searching keywords and looking at picture galleries but have come up empty handed so far.everytime I think something is a close match it turns out to be a 3m beam or similar.Being all solid glass other than the cockpit storage I figured there must be more than one made off the same mould. The drive set up is pretty well sorted with a jackshaft between the engine and leg to better distribute the weight (1000kg engine!) which has the good fortune of leaving the transom clear of an engine box. Hopefully someone will recognize its lines .
Doug

The Woo
13-02-2012, 08:03 PM
The forward sections below the chines really do look a LOT like Haines, but the rest of it doesn't. The hull is 'glass, but the superstructure timber?

I'm wondering if it's not a home-finished boat from a more common hull mould? I'm thinking out loud here....

The extended lifting strakes in the bow, are they part of the mould or look added afterwards?

The extruded moulding toward the transom, is the mould replicated inside or has the extrusion been added?

1000kg engine? Is it a V8 Cummins, and it's a Vovlo leg correct?

dugggy
13-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I have it currently stored at Port Douglas.The Cummins has only 400 odd hours on it, has always been trailered AFAIK.One theory is that it was owned by a government mob...Customs/police ect...but thst is probably as likely as it being a Haines lol.
Doug

dugggy
13-02-2012, 08:39 PM
The superstructure is all glass as well.Its a V8 Cummins and the leg is I believe a 280SP, if ever a duoprop was needed .....The cabin has in the past had rear doors,PO has removed those and also added a poxy hatch at the front of the cabin which I will return to original (cant see the point with the walk around cabin) as well as adding the cabin doors back .I just looked through some of the emails from th PO,his idea was it was a Haines formula based hull with a custom flopped deck and cabin for a QLD Government mob. The cabin is almost identical to the ones on Halvorson Police launches of similar size but of corse they are fully timber.
Doug

BM
13-02-2012, 10:17 PM
That looks to be a unique 'home baked' boat. No disrespect intended. The strakes extending beyond the chines are quite odd and serve no function. The second pair don't actually line up either.

The overall shape has a Sonair 23/Mariner 25 appearance on the topsides although it is deeper vee than either of those rigs.

I would be pretty confident in saying its not a production boat and is a one off. Putting a value on it would be quite difficult and finding a buyer for such a unique boat may prove challenging.

Cheers

dugggy
14-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.I am not fussed on resale as I picked it up cheap and it will suit my purposes nicely. I intend to replace the dodgy looking glazing and gal railings with some fabbed stainless . It does indeed look like the strakes have been extended for purely visual reasons ,cant imagine why you would bother though.The V is indeed quite deep.The hull is around 20mm thick,foam cored i believe ,no wood in the stringers to rot either.Beauty of the deep hull is the Cummins sits only 300mm abovre the self draining cockpit so it leaves a lot of room even with the sterndrive.Cabin is full height too so no crouching.I really do need to get it down here but transporting it is prohibitively expensive so looking like ill take the new trailer I have for it up there and bring it back myself.Only 5400km round trip......

chop duster
14-02-2012, 09:22 AM
looks alot like a 233 running surface and hull sides to me? additional strakes up front are either a poor attempt to desguise the the flop of another hull, and/or attemptiing to correct some following sea issues due to imbalance in the setup.. (can't see them doing much though).
Got any more photo's?

The Woo
14-02-2012, 10:20 AM
^^^ I had similar thoughts but the OP said 27' long.

I wasn't going to say it out load but given it's in FNQ I was wondering if it might not be something that someone commissioned Peter O'Brien to do a long time ago?

chop duster
14-02-2012, 11:29 AM
^^^ I had similar thoughts but the OP said 27' long.

I wasn't going to say it out load but given it's in FNQ I was wondering if it might not be something that someone commissioned Peter O'Brien to do a long time ago?

approx 27. Bowsprit and leg and you'd be close. my money is still on a 233 flop. :-) doesn't really tell us who, how and why it was built though... wait on, 3m beam?

dugggy
14-02-2012, 05:03 PM
beam is 2.4-2.5m.I have had thoughts it was a flopped 233/773 with the deck and cabin grafted on using the wide gunwale.The engine/jackshaft/drive combo is not very common in a trailer boat either id expect,would have cost a fortune when fitted.The external trim rams on the leg have me beat too,my previous boat had a 270T leg and the tilt was mounted up on the transon shield though 280/290 may differ?PO stated the previous name of the vessel was "Phoenix 2".Ill upload some more pics tonight,have plenty.
Doug

albey
14-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Its like nothing weve seen before.Being fitted with a cummins opens the possibility of originally having been sourced from the states-is that a possibilty????
With the number of boats being purchased directly these days,makes me wonder!!!
Have an aquaintance who recently did a trip to the states for the purpose of purchasing boats for Aust resale-he came back with four boats of which only one was a known brand in this country,didnt exactly make a fortune either,though he did ok-just.Hes not doing it again

dugggy
16-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Attached are pics of the diesel installation plus a couple of others.The Peter Obrien idea is an interesting one.
Doug

dugggy
07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Nothing I have got from the PO indicates it was from the states, afaik it has spent its entire life in N QLD, though at this point I cant confirm anything about its build.I have been reading the thread on here about the Vassard which has a jackshaft set up as well..... has me thinking lol.
Doug

gruntahunta
07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm voting a De Havilland of some sort...hey have made some very strange looking boats