PDA

View Full Version : A few speedsters

thelump
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Left Reddy bay at 4am and after a failed (see chicken) attempt to cross at amity I decided as I was heading north anyway to go the northern channel. Got to our spot shortly after and deployed the secret weapons. About 1 min later the deckies rod screams off and after struggling to get it out of the rod holder winds a heap of times but loses it. Re rig and continue. Another lap and hes on again this time staying connected and the first spaniard is in the boat. Not long after that and my rod takes off so I jump on the throttle to make sure he is hooked and my rod holder gives way and the rod and reel go sailing out the back. Luckily I had a lanyard on and pulled it back in and wound in the unluckiest and quite possibly the smallest Spanish I have seen. He went 80 though so in the bin he goes. Lost another 2 good fish afterwards so decided to head for a snapper fish. Saw the Bull mobile out there at the northern 29s but only jagged one small squire (45) on the Dayoo 1oz egg glow sinker floatlined with a pilly. Give horse a call and he is catching livies and getting snipped off so I went in to see what was doing. Caught 2 schoolies on livies and a lone spottie on a pilly.
Great day on the water

TREVELLY
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Mate - sounds like you made the most of the day.

And you did good.

Lanyards - great invention!

Lancair
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Sounds like an awesome day out. Well done, esp on having the lanyard, but send the spaniards south for us will ya, would've liked more than one spanish hook up today.

thelump
12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Sounds like an awesome day out. Well done, esp on having the lanyard, but send the spaniards south for us will ya, would've liked more than one spanish hook up today.

Mate I would have taken that one of yours over our 2 anyday. And yes the lanyard was good. Now to pull the reel apart to clean it up.

Giffo65
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Good stuff Macca,I did 60 to 70 ks out of Bundy yesterday to drop a lone 1m Cobe at the boat.Takeaway for dinner :(.

TimD
12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Some good fish there mate :thumbsup:

There was no speedsters off the Goldie yesterday :(

cheers tim :)

rosco1974
12-02-2012, 08:45 PM
well done macca a good feed,
cheers rosco

Horse
12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Great Trifecta on the Macks Jason. I need to put my L plates back on. I had the secret weapon onboard but failed to deploy it. There were a few out there. I saw a monster slice through a school of Mack tuna. It was significantly bigger than the normal school fish that frequent that area

How was your fuel economy for the day

thelump
13-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Did around 130kms for 72 litres on the fuel flow meter. But when I filled up it took 83 lites??? Just another variable into the equation. Maybe air pocket in the tank?

Bull
13-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Well done on the Macks Jason I kept an eye out for you yesterday. I was keen to see your secrete weapon in action.
I really like the way you and the guys looked out for each other on the bar crossings. We covered a fair bit of ground yesterday by my trip meter and fuel flow we did 174kms & 146L= 1.19 kms per L. I will be very surprised when I fill up if my economy was that good usually its pretty close to 1km to 1L
Cheers Bull

thelump
13-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah I went passed you on the 29s Bull just before I went in to see what Horse was up to again. I'll pull up next time and say Gday. Theres no missing that boat out there.

Bull
13-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Jason I guess the old girl stands out a bit I'm not to sure if that's a good thing or not though ::) Muddy tows spotted us at square patch from about a mile away lol

Apollo
13-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Top recovery Jas. We will have to do some notes swapping on the macs over a few ales at the 1770 M&G, given we crashed in the same house. Top little place to. Walking distance to pub, staggering distance back (and downhill), easy stumble to the shops.

Steve

thelump
13-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Top recovery Jas. We will have to do some notes swapping on the macs over a few ales at the 1770 M&G, given we crashed in the same house. Top little place to. Walking distance to pub, staggering distance back (and downhill), easy stumble to the shops.

Steve

Yeah have stayed in that house before Steve. We had 11 guys and 4 boats there. It was a mad dash to get to the 1 toilet first in the mornings! Looking forward to a few beers and more than a few stories. Or should that be the other way around?

tropicrows
13-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I spent yesterday in the bay, and had the radio on chan 21. There was a lot of chit chat, some boats doing well others not so good. good the here you caught a few Jason. I dont use lanyards currently but from now on I will.

adamleah
13-02-2012, 06:41 PM
we went through southern channel about 345 yesterday morn and had a couple of big fellas come over windscreen in the dark after thinking the swell was gone but forgot bout outgoing tide.... lessons learned..... bilge worked great ... phew....

went in search of the spanish and got zero of them, but snaffled a 20kgish hoo and prob 4kg yellowfin.....

thelump
13-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice work on the Hoo and Fin mate. I crossed the Amity at very low light once. First and last time. It sure puts the wind up ya. Glad everything worked out mate.