PDA

View Full Version : Catch a tiger by the tail

tenzing
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Had a day out with a couple of mates, trolling for the most part , north east of Moreton Is.
Things were pretty quiet , except for this one little fishy.
We were just discussing swapping out the old trembler that we were running at shotgun when it went off like a frog in a sock!

I had the go pro running at the time and while the footage is not spectacular I was able to check the duration of this first incredible run. just short of 2 minutes at full bikkie. I had upped the drag on the TLD 25 to near sunset to stop him from reaching Bribie!
We all thought that we were on to something spectacular, and while this wahoo was a respectable 12 kg and 135cm it was also well hooked by my trusty old singles in the hind quarters !

It certainly made for some excitement for a little while, and Timmy capped it off with an A grade gaff shot.
Thanks to Tim and Steve for generously letting me take the first fish of our season ( in Feb??).
( caught on 15 kg in 50m)

Looks like Hoo on the Barbie at a few places tonight.
Cheers
Brendan

Tim Hutchison
12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the trip had a good day
Cheers Tim

TimD
12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Nice Hoo, he must of been a skinny bugger if he only went 12kg's :thumbsup:

Maybe timddo and i should of trolled off moreton yesterday instead of the goldie. We spent about 5 hours trolling and didn't turn a reel :(

Me thinks i better add a trembler to my x-rap collection as i have heard the Hoo can't resist them

cheers tim :)

rosco1974
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
nice fish mate well done.

looks like the tim d curse is still alive... tim did u drink the pink shine while u ate the nuc chicken sambo's again last nite...lol

3rd degree
12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Nice Hoo Tenzing, he'll make a few nice meals...

We fished NE of the Pin for one small Blue.

Cheers
Jim

tenzing
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Nice Hoo, he must of been a skinny bugger if he only went 12kg's :thumbsup:

Maybe timddo and i should of trolled off moreton yesterday instead of the goldie. We spent about 5 hours trolling and didn't turn a reel :(

Me thinks i better add a trembler to my x-rap collection as i have heard the Hoo can't resist them

Yeah Tim the length was easy, but the weight was 2 1/2 times round the 5kg scales at the tackle shop.
It certainly felt heavy , but my weak arms were a bit sore!
Cheers
Brendan

PS I dont know if its the trembler or the shottie posision but it certainly seems to get regular attention.
Today was 3-1-1.
2 of 3 hits were on trembler at shotgun

ffejsmada
12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Nice Hoo.

A 2 minute run at full noise for a 12 kg fish???????
You must be fishin' girlie drag settings mate, up your drag!
A 20kg model would spool you.

Nice fish again mate, well done.

Lancair
12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Nice fish there mate. Sounds like a great first run, like I've often heard is typical of Hoo's. Unlike those Ive caught or been on board whilst caught, all have been over quick, no great runs or fight at all.
At least you got one on the board and had a good day at sea.

TimD
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
nice fish mate well done.

looks like the tim d curse is still alive... tim did u drink the pink shine while u ate the nuc chicken sambo's again last nite...lol

Didn't fish plastics at all yesterday :o

We trolled most of the day looking for "big" fish but after 5 hours trolling i suggested fishing some bait. We tried squid and pilchards but the fish didn't want to eat our offerings. We dropped down two live yakkas, tim got smoked big time and i failed to hook the beast that grabbed my yakka.

So there you go rosco, i don't just fish SP's ::)

tenzing
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Nice Hoo.

A 2 minute run at full noise for a 12 kg fish???????
You must be fishin' girlie drag settings mate, up your drag!
A 20kg model would spool you.

Nice fish again mate, well done.

"good on ya"

MyWay
13-02-2012, 12:20 AM
very nice :2thumbsup: