PDA

View Full Version : What to do about this? (ally boat)

Linedropper
11-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Finally got my boat registered in QLD after using it here for 8 weeks or so (dont tell MSQ :o ). I removed the old rego numbers and now I am left with this ....

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/WETSS/Boat.jpg

The boat is around 11 years old with a nice coat of corrosion and some scratches etc and I have been wanting to clean it up for a while but not sure on the best way. Acid wash it or hit the hull with a flapper wheel all over? Anyone done something similar?

Dan5
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
An acid wash should take care of it...........At worst a hit with a scotch pad......don't run a flap disc over it thats way too harsh.....you'll end up with a worse finish than you started with.

Dan

Stuart
11-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Its actaully the alloy around the sticker that has dulled or oxidized. The glue on the back of the stickers sealed the alloy from the environment so I would first hit it with aceton to get the old glue out of the poors in the alloy then if needed a scotchbrite pad in fine which is the green one.

wirlybird
12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
remove the glue and 600 wet and dry sand it

Marlin_Mike
12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Be lazy like me, and get Blackened to tart the hull up with a good detail :):):)

Thats what I would do...............if I had a boat ....LMAO

Mike

Linedropper
12-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks all, sorry maybe I should have explained it better. I have the stickers off and have removed all the glue with some metho and a scotch brite pad. What I have now is a shiny bit of the boat where the numbers were.

The rest of the boat needs a real cleanup to get rid of corrosion and some scratches so that's why I was thinking acid wash or something abrasive to make it all kind of match a bit better. Realize I'm not going to get anywhere near perfect.

What do they finish new ally boats with? You know how they get that look that they have just been gone over with some power tool.

netmaker
12-02-2012, 03:11 PM
after all the effort you'll exert cleaning it up you could just paint it and not worry about oxidization any more.

Stuart
12-02-2012, 03:12 PM
I use a 9 inch fine scotchbrite pad using a sander on low to medium revs, Also use wax as it will come even better.