PDA

View Full Version : Deep v 31 single stern drive any good

rustymarlin
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi Gents I have had a look at deepv 31 express it has a single volvo stern drive duoprop i think it may have been a charter boat on the gold coast a couple of years ago. I am wondering how they go with this engine configuration it also has a bow thruster, i have been looking at a fly bridge 31 also as in the earlier post. Any relevat info would be great.

smithy might know this boat being from his neck of the woods it may have been the boat that gold coast charters ran about 4 years ago.

Thanks

chop duster
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Think I have a blue water mag at home with a review on this boat. Bloke runs one in our marina although am yet to pick his brains..
I remember the cruise figures they stated were pretty good and he had stepped down from a 34 fly bridge. Wounder if he has gone back to the bridged boat?

GBC
11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I drive a 32ft single volvo duoprop a bit (Mate's Monterey with no thruster).
To park the thing I drive it like a trawler - finesse is wasted in anything but perfect conditions - she needs positive and strong inputs from the helm or it'll just drift off.
I wouldn't think I'd like to do much backing down in one.
Not the worst I've driven, but you need to be thinking about what you're about to do.

OPTI
11-02-2012, 06:45 PM
volvo duo prop [moored]=big dollar maintenance.personally id stay away from it .if your leaving it in the water stay with shaft drive

Fed
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
A mate of mine had a 28' Riv with a single volvo deisel sterndrive and it was the worst boat I've ever driven. The rotten thing would wander all over the place and it was a full time job keeping it going in a sort of straight line.

Smithy
11-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeh I think it was called the Fat Hooker or something. As above, single sterndrives I would only have if you have an air dock or some sort of dry berth storage racks with a fork lift. Legs are maintance nightmares if they live in the water. Is Envee the 310S with the flybridge still for sale. I know the old owners from Townsville. It would have been looked after but would still have the leg issues. What about getting something in from the US?