PDA

View Full Version : Paper in fuel tank

black runner
11-02-2012, 07:37 AM
The other day, a folded piece of paper kitchen towel (the heavy duty stuff) around 1" square went down the side deck fuel filler into the under floor tank in the boat.::)

While the kitchen paper won't break down in petrol (confirmed in practice), the risk in leaving it there is it being sucked onto the end of the fuel pickup. So I think my only option is to remove and flush the tank. Others have said just leave it beacause it is porous and if it does get sucked around the pickup fuel will simply pass through.

The tank is 75 litre aluminium and rivited in place. I also run a water separating filter. What would you do?

Cheers

Axl
11-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Bummer how did you manage to do that? I think leaving it there is too risky if it were me id be going after it. I also think that the fact that you know it is there will play on your mind when you are trying to relax whilst out on the water.

Removing a few rivots is alot easier than paddling home.

myusernam
11-02-2012, 07:45 AM
not drop it in there in the first place YOU MUPPET :)!!

yeah, definatley need to get out however you can

Jarrah Jack
11-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Strange things have been known to happen in Tassie...:)

wiz
11-02-2012, 08:44 AM
I would definitely be getting it out it will cause a problem one way or another at some point in time. You will also get a chance to check out if any thing else is in there (water or crud), something you probably would not do in normal routine maintenance.;)

black runner
11-02-2012, 08:47 AM
The deck filler is close to the side curtains/frame and unbeknowns to me there was a bit of paper towel caught on one of the bimini screws probably from the prevoius trip. One of those freak moments when the cap comes of, puff of breeze and down it went. It actually got sucked in as it passed over the filler, probably from the drawing action created by the breathers. It wen right into the tank and didn't enven get stuck to the sides. I am always really careful (clear not enough on this occassion) to make sure the filler area is clean and clear before removing the cap.

It all took a fraction of a second but was one of those slow motion moments when you see everything in detail but aren't quick enough to do anything about it.

Cheers - MUPPET

PS Jarrah Jack - that's a novel way of removing the prop in your Avatar

Kdog
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
It all took a fraction of a second but was one of those slow motion moments when you see everything in detail but aren't quick enough to do anything about it.

Cheers - MUPPET

Ha Ha, the above reminded me of the time I droped my last can of beer one day, missed it by thaaaatttt much.:'(

But seriously mate, I`m with all of the above, fishing /boating is all about relaxing. The fish will taste so much sweeter knowing you did the right thing and took the tank out and cleaned it out.
Good luck mate!
Cheers
Kerrod

kind_cir
11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I would leave it in the tank and let the fuel filter take care of it. :o Well look at it this way, if you wet a bit of paper towel it becomes very weak and with the sloshing action of the fuel in the tank, I would think it has a good chance of breaking down at least a little in the tank. Even a full 1 inch piece of paper towel would easily be sucked up the fuel line and that action alone would help it break down smaller and able to be handled by the filter.

GBC
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
^^^^ as above. That's what filters are for. I've got a jiggler siphon head in my fuel tank - certainly not going fishing for it.

kind_cir
11-02-2012, 03:25 PM
^^^^ as above. That's what filters are for. I've got a jiggler siphon head in my fuel tank - certainly not going fishing for it.

LOL... I've done the same,.. Dam jiggler siphon heads.

black runner
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Siphoned fuel, tank out, paper out plus plastic bimini stud and 2 x 4" pieces ally welding wire.

The way the filler baffles are constructed wouldn't allow me to slosh the tank back out through the filler, So it was a messy attempt through the sender hole with torch and flexible claws to pick up the crap.

The paper was stuck in the baffle and took ages to appear. Doesn't break down in petrol like it does in water.

Cheers and thanks for the replies

googarra
11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Never going to be a problem, if it does get sucked into the system the filter will claim it. Removing a rivited in tank for a small peice of paper would be something you do if you are realy bored and want to see what lives under the tank.

black runner
11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Never going to be a problem, if it does get sucked into the system the filter will claim it. Removing a rivited in tank for a small peice of paper would be something you do if you are realy bored and want to see what lives under the tank.

Probably right googara, but at least I now know there isn't anything in there or under the tank. Wasn't too fussed about doing it as about a month ago I found a $2 coin in the bilge just ahead of the tank when I lifted the floor (I was bored then). Had to use a length of dowel and blue tack to get to it.

Cheers

Dicktracey
11-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Guys the paper towel if caught in pick up will starve fuel system like a plastic bag on water inlet causing engine to stall, dropping fuel suction pressure,then paper will drop off!
wont be an issue in a small sea ;)
Alternate to removal is a high flow scavenge pump will suck out paper as well! Or a coat hanger !

finally paper will burn quicker than the tank just be careful dropping match in :)