PDA

View Full Version : 1770, Just keeps getting better!

Spot82
10-02-2012, 02:37 PM
My old man was dying to get out for a fish after he had had his second full knee replacement on the same leg in October last year and it is now only just starting to come good now. I tried to talk him out of it but after being cooped up at home for 3 months there was nothing I could say that would keep him at home! Anyways the weather looked like it would be near perfect for a couple of days so off we went. I took Scott also who had never caught a red before nor been to 1770. I also hadn't been since the start of December and was hanging out to scratch the red itch!

Headed out Sunday in 15knots of SE'er, mucked around on the way out and got a dozen little Mac tuna for bait and then stopped off at Sykes for a snorkel. If you want an awesome snorkel this is the place, some of the best coral and life I have seen on the bunker group! With 30 secs of hopping in I had seen a big trout, 2 big barramundi cod and heaps of other fish, and that was only the first bommie and only in 3-4m of water! Paddled round for 45mins or so and then it was time to go find some fish.

Headed out to some contours on the map and started looking around, didn't take long to find a nice bit of a show on a bit of a plateau which come up to 50m out of 65m. Wasn't a big show but it looked promising and it wasn't long before 2 school reds about 6kg made it to the esky, Scott getting his first red, and he was hooked! The red itch had bitten him hard and in his words "bottom bashing will never be the same again" He did also manage to catch a massive barracuda about 4-5ft long, 6kg spangle (released as they are too tough at this size) and a big reef toad and small chinaman earlier in the arvo, so the verminator was his new nickname :P

Lost a couple of good fish and they seemed to go off the bite, so was just about to up and move when on the sounder appeared a much better show not far from where we were previously fishing. The fish were hanging on the edge of the drop of and pic of the show is below. Just on sunset we had a near triple hook-up with Scott getting an awesome fish at 13kg and me and dad with 2 school models. I scored a nice 11kg model after a fair few drifts and by this time it was about 8pm and time for dinner so we anchored up on the show. Cooked up some rump sausages from Cav's for dinner with salad and demolished them before having a few more drops, a couple of bust ups later and Scott got a 65cm model to the boat.

By 10pm we were buggered and went to sleep, the wind had been backing out from around 4pm and by the time we went to sleep it was almost glassy besides a bit of small swell. Woke at 4am and had a few drops with no success as we had swung around with the tide, upped the anchor and had a drift but not much was happening to went off to search some more, 10 mins later I found a nice little rock about 5m high with a lot of life on it, not much bigger than a boat but it was what I was looking for. First drift Scott and I both got busted by good reds, and second drift I got a small one around 6kg with Scott getting another the same size next drift, then the spot shut down, typically the case on small structure when u lose a fish or two.

Headed further east and come across and awesome looking rock which was about 6-8m high and probably 50m across, this thing was covered in life (pic below). Had a couple of drifts and got a few tentative bites but no reds, decided to anchor on the best looking area and try create some action. The first 30 mins was every bait getting plagued by hussar, but then all hell broke loose! I'm not sure how many times we got busted up before we got a fish up but in total I would say we got bricked 15-20 times easy between the 3 of us! Scott managed to snare nice 8kg model. I then got busted up big time twice in a row, video below! Next I grabbed the rod off the old man as he was hooked up to an solid fish, low and behold I just got him out of the bottom and turned his head when what happens.... The reel handle snaps clean off!! there wasn't much I could do, but grab the spool and watch as the fish turned and went straight back to his coral home :(

Next drop I jumped on the side the old man was on and well I'll let the video tell the story, not that it does justice to how much hurt I am having to put on the fish and how hard it is fighting!

Dad swapped outfits and he was off again, next drop he was on and the video can tell the story again!

By dark we were buggered and it was time to head in behind Sykes to have a feed as a the arvo breeze had shown up, got in anchored in 10m of water and had some food and put fuel in the boat and then caught a couple of red throats before deciding that we were happy to head in while the ocean was pretty flat rather than risk staying and possibly copping a bumpy ride home on Tuesday, also meant we didn't have to rush to get all the boat and fish cleaned that day either.

Once again PEtackle flys were used for most of the trip, except when we getting busted up left right and centre as it becomes an expensive exercise! Pilchard Glow, Red Zebra and Tailor Glow all worked well in the big flys and the Green Goblin and Red Zebra Shrimps also accounted for a few fish.

Another trip I won't be forgetting anytime soon for the fishing, diving, conditions and the company, good times!

All the videos are on youtube and I haven't posted them directly on here as they contain swearing so if you don't like it turn your sound off, otherwise enjoy! First 4 vids on the link below are from this trip.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PEtackle?feature=mhee

Spot82
10-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Pics here :)

robtarr
10-02-2012, 03:03 PM
another excellent report - take my hat off to you - the vids and pics are unbelievable - seriously well done again
cheers Rob

Te Whiti
10-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Yep, thats the quality we've come to expect from you Anthony, great read, great photos, Keep it up !

fishfeeder
10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Mates top fishing in anyone's eyes !!
The conditions look fantastic, even on the video spotting that red come up through the water gets the heart pumping..

Thanks for the report and videos, another top effort...

Cheers
Brett

TREVELLY
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Guys you set a high standard and keep it there well done and some sensational fish.

Enjoyed the movie too - good to see dad getting out there and amongst them again - good onya - if my dad hooked one of those reds he would be straight over the side ;D

Thanks for posting.

Have to laugh when I look at your report with pics and then think of one of my recent posts and all I could put up was a picture of a tangle :)

cuzzamundi
10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Yet another cracker session, mate.

Those sharks look like sandbars (whaler family).

Was there much current?

Well done.

Cuzza

Spot82
10-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Cuzza - We fished with 10 ball sinkers the whole trip no worries at all, even anchored up during the middle of the tide. The tides were pretty damn big at 1770 though, was certainly pushing it up the creek coming in!

Both my parents are old war horses and they definitely don't make them like that anymore, my mum is more keen than most fishos I know, even more keen than me a lot of the time and I'm half her age and my body is in a much better shape, so I can definitely blame my parents for my addiction to being out on the wide blue yonder! :)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I guess its hard to put into words how much effort goes into catching these fish before you get on the water and then once your out there typically a lot of driving is involved although this trip I got pretty lucky and only had to search for a couple of hours to find some new ground in an area I had never fished before, that made it extra rewarding as well though!! Love the feeling of finding some country that may never have been fished before and dropping down and getting smacked by a big red!! Certainly gets the heart going! ;)

Anthony

Redhunter
10-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Good read and some nice reds anthony,look like ya found some nice ground gota love them reds.
steve

gofishin
10-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Top effort there boys, great fish & great report too! One question...can you fit any more eskies in the back of that cruizy ?? ;D

You guys did very well doing the 'esky-red' dance with multiple hookups.
cheers
Brendon

FISHAWN
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Awesome reds Ant!!! ! how good is cavs!!!!

Silent
10-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Simple word describe to your report & vids EPIC!!!

lightsout76
10-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Awesome report mate, I've been hangin for this report, Sean said yous went up over the weekend a few of us were ment to head up then aswell but certain circumstances killed that for us so i was pretty bummed after hearing about the action.

Top report, pics and video........ gotta love those conditions!!!

Can't wait to get back up there at the end of the month.

Cheers,
Leon.

thelump
11-02-2012, 05:51 AM
What an awesome sessions Anthony. Love the videos mate. The Go pro on the head is unreal.

Bull
11-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks Anthony for the awesome report pics and video. Its great watching your videos I never get sick of seeing reds getting pulled in.
Cheers Bull

stonecold
11-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Great stuff mate..Im a tad envious...Im flat out trying to catch a tennis ball with a garbage bin at the moment..Im not alone though Rabbis not far ahead which makes me feel a little better

vertico
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
good work anthony nice to see the PEtackle producing the goods once again.
great report and i cant wait to smack up some reddies.
sean

frankgrimes
11-02-2012, 02:56 PM
VERY nice....consistent(sensational!) results as always!

Mick

Inlike
11-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Anthony....Inlike here I always enjoy reading your reports.. Iwill be heading to 1770 in may and my Question if you can help me is do you work of certain moon times ... Ihave used PE Tackle mackeral before and had mixed results.. Keen to buy more for my May Trip what would you suggest.. Thanks Paul..

Lucky_Phill
11-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice work....... I see you found the Red Fern.

LP

Muddy Toes
11-02-2012, 11:12 PM
That video "Insane Red Emperor Fishing" is an interesting one. 20 Km North East of Sykes Reef puts you in about 200M of water doesn't it?:o:-[;D

vertico
12-02-2012, 12:21 PM
That video "Insane Red Emperor Fishing" is an interesting one. 20 Km North East of Sykes Reef puts you in about 200M of water doesn't it?:o:-[;D

well if you want the exact spot send anthony a pm :P

OPTI
12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
thanks for the report and videos ,top effort all round

Spot82
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Sorry, NNE :-* Geez next I'll have to be putting GPS marks on my videos! ::)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, greatly appreciated.

Anthony

Fishbait
12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Top photos and report Anthony. Big reds alright!

vertico
13-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Top photos and report Anthony. Big reds alright!
not big on our scale but average :P i cant wait to crack the 15kg mark and we all wanna see a 18kg mother beside the boat :P

lightsout76
13-02-2012, 01:27 AM
You're damn right there Sean i look forward to it in a couple of weeks, ha ha :P

XtremeBoony
13-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Well done Anthony on another successful red mission. Awesome vids and pics.

Cheers from boony

Lucky_Phill
13-02-2012, 08:35 AM
not big on our scale but average :P i cant wait to crack the 15kg mark and we all wanna see a 18kg mother beside the boat :P

OK... so is that a challenge ?

What's Anthonys biggest to date ........... ?

Whatever it is, I think it will be beaten very soon. :-X ;) 8-)

Cheers Phill,.................. with one eye on the weather...;D

MyWay
13-02-2012, 09:53 AM
thanks for sharing
top report and videos :thumbup:

vertico
13-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Anthony's best is about mid 15kg and mine is still in the high 13's but yerh we are both anxious to see that 18kg+ fish we know is down on our spots.

Lucky_Phill
13-02-2012, 12:15 PM
There are fish over 20 east of Lewellyn. Line pro has got them.

How hard would they pull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Phill

vertico
13-02-2012, 01:14 PM
yerh they would snap your mono and make you shake like a schoolgirl phill

outwide1
13-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Do you really believe thats where they were.lol
Believe nothing that comes out of a fishermans mouth when it comes to locations and alot of times marks.
Cheers Mick

vertico
13-02-2012, 03:57 PM
haha outwide1 :P

Muddy Toes
13-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Believe nothing that comes out of a fishermans mouth when it comes to locations and alot of times marks.
Cheers Mick

Hahahahah

Actually no.....not for one second did I think that nor did I even have to check;);D

Spot82
13-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Cheers Mick

Well we took 330L of fuel and used the whole lot in good conditions in two days, so if we weren't well past sykes where were we??? ;) haha

Anyways if you can't find country off 1770 you mustn't have your sounder on! So much ground up there it is not even funny. Maybe as a challenge next trip me and Sean do we will take no GPS marks and see how we go, weather pending, because doing hours of searching in rough seas in a 5m side consol isn't exactly fun!!!

Anthony

Spot82
13-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Anthony....Inlike here I always enjoy reading your reports.. Iwill be heading to 1770 in may and my Question if you can help me is do you work of certain moon times ... Ihave used PE Tackle mackeral before and had mixed results.. Keen to buy more for my May Trip what would you suggest.. Thanks Paul..

Hi Paul,

Different colours have different days or even spots, I always try to mix it up a bit until I find one that is working or working better than others, helps with multiple people using them on board with this also. Any of the big bait glow flys as well as the glow shrimps seem to be the go.

As for moons, typically we go when the weather allows, although the last few trips have been around the new and full moons and the fish did seem to bite better at times, but some spots they were completely shut down while we were there. Your crystal ball is as good as mine when it comes to figuring out when they will bite! We put in 18-20 hour days to get a good bag of fish and lots of hunting around and its never easy, some trips are just a bit easier than others.

Anthony

No Fear
13-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Schweeeet!!! You make it look and sound so easy!!! We went up over the weekend, did about 350kms and only put a few red boys in the esky! Plenty of reefies though for the table. As you say though, there is plenty of ground up there though. We fished around Musgrave and in 1km drifts we'd go over 3 sections of awesome ground. We managed to land 2 big toothy critters as well and got chomped a couple of times but our action is like watching grass grow compared to some of your footage.
Great work and good reward for some hard work. Hopefully everyone who goes up there doesn't think that reds just jump in the boat......or maybe I'm just hopeless at catching them!!!
As for flies, I love the green goblin and the red zebra, only because they last a lot longer and don't get tangled up. I have caught reds on pretty much all of them though and my mate always manages to get one in the boat on one of the flies with the 5/0 size hooks. Blows my mind how!!! Good gear though!!!
Anthony/Seano- my goal is to catch a blue eye on a fly- what do you reckon my chances are??????? I reckon they'd love the glow ones! The way you are catching marlin at the moment Anthony, a fly in one of their mouths may not be beyond you!!!!????

webby nq
14-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Looks like you made the most of the great weather on the east coast with an awesome trip mate, all the hard work pays off when you get results like that,