tae4551
10-02-2012, 07:48 AM
http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/02/10/4000-fine-over-boat-row-/

TheRealAndy
10-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Good, they deserve it.

swabio
10-02-2012, 08:07 AM
personally I think they got off a bit lightly!

Axl
10-02-2012, 08:12 AM
44 snapper that has a bag limit of 5 I recon they got of lightly as well.

BillyT2382
10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
There obviously not fishermen but thieves..to take that many out of the water, why couldn't they just take a feed then go back the next day to catch another feed...ridiculous how some ppl think that it is there right to do this...
I don't know what the government is thinking let them off this lightly...

PADDLES
10-02-2012, 09:03 AM
that's a smidgin over $100/fish fine and just a slap on the wrist, these idiots should have had the book thrown at them and all gear confiscated and made the property of the crown. the fact that they resisted inspection and then injured an officer should add to their penalty.

TREVELLY
10-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Either extremely greedy or shamateurs selling their catch.

To exceed to limit by that much a fine double or triple what they got would have been more appropriate IMO.

Good to see the inspector standing his ground - they were lucky not to be charged with assault as well as obstruction etc.

They do genuine fisherman no favours at all and just cast a bad light.

pipifin
10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Seize the boat.... as well as fine per fish.

tae4551
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
There is more to it they actually drove off and where caught trying to discard the fish in the bush.

netmaker
10-02-2012, 10:24 AM
not that i'm an accountant or anything but where's the other grand. heading says $4000 and text says $3000. must have been for his mate or perhaps new government levy?

PADDLES
10-02-2012, 10:32 AM
it's a new gillard government initiative called fine tax ..................... :P

TREVELLY
10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Nothing FINE about these new taxes Paddles - they are all GROSS

fishfeeder
10-02-2012, 11:00 AM
What a pi$$y fine... No wonder fisheries has no money !!
He should have lost his vehicle, boat, fishing gear etc.... Then charged with assault, if they did that to a cop they would be behind bars.
If Fisheries are going to do there job properly the laws need to be changed to deter the scum, at the moment the scum are laughing there ass's off.
44 fish is a large catch, makes you wonder how many fish these idiots take over a year.

Homer_Jay
10-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Just out of curiosity, for comparison, what would the fine be for flares that are out of date? Or something thay anyone could be caught for something that was "easily overlooked" honest mistake.

I am guessing there was 2 prople involved? $3000 for the main person (boat owner) and $1000 for his mate???

I agree, this does seem very light. This is someone intending to break the law.
Probably only deduct his centerlink payments by $20/wk to pay it off anyway......
LOL

TREVELLY
10-02-2012, 11:21 AM
With out a doubt - the best deterrent when so blatant is to take away the means by which they committed the offence.

Sets a good example to others considering or already doing the same.

timddo
10-02-2012, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Homer_Jay;1352573]Just out of curiosity, for comparison, what would the fine be for flares that are out of date? Or something thay anyone could be caught for something that was "easily overlooked" honest mistake.

I LOL[/QUOTE

Out of date flares are $150, no life jacket $150, Fishing in a green zone $500. - Excuses only work if your cute and cuddly. ( no offence but females tend to get away with quite a few things).

I agree 44 fish is alot - they should have impounded his boat for 6 months.

Taking 44 fish is just like taking 44 mudcrabs - Why are there different rules as the previous guy lost his boat ( crushed). It's all up to the judge and what he ate for breakfast.;D.

Maybe they thought the snapper were just squire and had no size or bag limt::)

Louis
10-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I have often thought that Boating and Fisheries patrol officers should possibly be allowed to carry revolvers or at least tasers.

Wasn't their some incident some years ago where two Fisheries officers allegedly drowned in some part of north Queensland but which many people suspect was actually a case of them being murdered?

If they had had firearms these two may still be alive today.

I can't remember the exact details but if someone else does please feel free to elaborate on it.

Louis

Horse
10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Poaching that many fish is one thing but their behaviour is another. Loss of boat and gear and significant fine would send a message to others. Sell the boat and employ another fisheries officer with the proceeds

Peter4
10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I also wonder how many of the 44 snapper were undersize...

Jarrah Jack
10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Assault of an officer should be taken very seriously and the courts need to protect them. The offenders got off very lightly and its hard to believe that they weren't charged with assault. In Vic they would've had their rods confiscated with the court deciding if they could get them back. Probably would've been banned from the water for twelve months as well.

BigE
10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
I dont believe it 44 snappa .......... it must be a lie ...... I mean with the stocks in such a poor way it surely couldn't be possible to catch that many snappa in one trip...................... the lies we have all been sold. make u think.

BigE

wags on the water
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
A snapper doesn't necessarily have to be 6 kilo model..

Marlin_Mike
11-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Snapper 35 min - Bag Limit 4 with no more than 1 over 70 cm, it does not say 4 at 35 min PLUS 1 at 70 max. So the bag limit is 4, NOT 5 - clearly stated in the link below to DPI page

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Rec-fishing-tidal-waters-A4.pdf

Mike

Jarrah Jack
11-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Bag limit here is 3 over 400mm and 10 between 280 and 400. Overly generous I think.

Axl
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Snapper 35 min - Bag Limit 4 with no more than 1 over 70 cm, it does not say 4 at 35 min PLUS 1 at 70 max. So the bag limit is 4, NOT 5 - clearly stated in the link below to DPI page

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Rec-fishing-tidal-waters-A4.pdf

Mike

Well picked up Marlin_Mike.

Black_Rat
11-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Bag limit is 4 this from the DPI website:

Changes to the recreational fishing rules for snapper

From 1 September 2011, the recreational bag limit for snapper has been reduced from five to four. A maximum of only one fish with a total length over 70 cm is allowed. The minimum size limit for snapper remains at 35 cm. This applies to all recreational anglers, including fishing from charter boats.

tunaticer
12-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Why did the article not name and shame the second occupant of the boat? Surely he will cop a fine as well being party to the theft of the fish resource?

I think they should also be charged with obstruction and assault if the officer is injured.

Whack up photos of the idiots too.

PADDLES
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
there's a "real tv" type show on telly with the californian fish and game wardens in it, they carry sidearms and have the same rights as a police officer including the right to arrest and hand over offenders to the police

Lucky_Phill
12-02-2012, 04:25 PM
IMO>

For a F & B Patrol officer to carry a sidearm is over the top. The " Option " to carry one has merits in certain regions under certain circumstances.

This incident highlights the need for increased penalities or at least a review.

A " 3 strikes , you're out " type of punishment could be afforded the Magistrate.

That is, 3 charges ( proven guilty ) under the Fisheries Act with the results being..............

1... Any vehicle or vessel ( or both ) used for the purposes of commiting a crime under the Fisheries Act be forfieted to the State

2......A financial burden placed upon the offender that reflects public opinion and expectations.

3.... Imprisonment and or banning from all fishing activities ( time dependant ).

Under this circumstance the charges could have been.

1. Assault of a F & B Officer

2. Intention to commit a crime ( dumping of fish )

3. Exceeding bag limits of species

4. Obstruction of a F & B officer in his duty

5. ... not mentioned... but the safety equipment search could have revealled issues.

6.... Intention to commit a crime under the Act in relation to Selling of a regulated species without a permit / licence.

7... Giving false evidence / statement / information to a F & B Officer.

At the very least , Lance John Bishop, quite clearly and intentionally commited at least 3 of the above mentioned crimes and therefore aquired his 3 Strikes.

Just my opinion.

LP

Kevin Ferguson
13-02-2012, 08:14 PM
What a joke. Should have lost vehicle & boat , and who here believes that this is the first time these b*stards have done this.

Cheers Kevin

Triple
13-02-2012, 09:19 PM
So all you blokes for his boat and car being confiscated, what happens if it was his mates boat he was borrowing and his dad's car? (and they have no knowledge of his offences)
Why should they be implicated in someone elses punishment?
They can just get another boat or car the next day.. Larger fines or maybe marine license disqualification are needed and put the money back into policing the current regs so they actually think they may be caught with more officers on the water doing regular inspections.

tae4551
14-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't know if I can say to much. But the officer involved just boarded my boat. Apparently that was the deckie. The skipper of the boat is due to appear in court and they are looking for a lot bigger fine.

Smithy
23-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I heard the skipper has been to court a couple of weeks ago and we are just waiting for the press release to come out. He got quite a few fines of a couple of thousand each.

Crisp Bee
14-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I am very interested to hear if there is any update to this. The guy obviously knew he was in the wrong and he tried to get away and ditch the evidence.
I totally agree he should receive some very harsh penalties, as a deterrent to all. Does anyone know the final outcome? I would be happy to see more of a patrol officer's presence to stop this guy and others like him. Imagine if he is an unofficial pro fisher, who does this 4 or 5 times a week.