PDA

View Full Version : Buying Private or from dealer????

wadewhitwell
09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I was just wondering.....does anyone think it would be a “safer” option to purchase a second hand boat from a boat shop?

As a first time boat buyer i do not know anything about it but i would assume that the boats they sell there would not have any “major” damage to them as i assume they would of checked for any problems before taking the boat off the original seller. Would this be right?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Wade

PADDLES
09-02-2012, 08:48 AM
wade, if it's your first boat and you know nothing about boats then yep, it's a very good idea to buy from a reputable dealer. note that i said reputable, so look at dealers that have been in operation in the same locality for many years (decades) and you shouldn't go wrong. be prepared to maybe pay a little more for the peace of mind. i won't publicly list the ones that i personally think are ok but pm me if you want me to drop you a few business names.

Jarrah Jack
09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Along the lines of what Paddles said but being the first boat you should pay to have someone look at the boat for you. With a dealer there should be some sort of warranty but that doesn't go for long. You could happily buy private but with the proviso that you get expert advise.

pipifin
09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
I agree. If you can afford to pay a few hundred more, than a "reputable" dealer is the way to go for a first boat. Someone may be able to enlighten as far as fair trading and warranty goes, and whether you could negotiate a longer warranty (on the motor especially). Things can sound like they are running well, but when you get them under load in the water, things can be different. At least with a dealer, you can chase it up.

gruntahunta
09-02-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree with all comments above......My input is.....insist on going for a run in the water to see how it goes under load and whether it handles to your liking....many questions asked on here why motor runs fine at home with earmuffs on then wont run properly in the water....motor needs rebuilding.

If you cant get the person to let you have a run in it (or dealer)...dont buy it.

Axl
09-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I agree with all comments above......My input is.....insist on going for a run in the water to see how it goes under load and whether it handles to your liking....many questions asked on here why motor runs fine at home with earmuffs on then wont run properly in the water....motor needs rebuilding.

If you cant get the person to let you have a run in it (or dealer)...dont buy it.

I am not to sure if that is good advice. I am on my third boat now the first two came from a reputable dealer both brand new and I didnt go for a run in them. The third was also from a reputable dealer it had to be ordered and built to suit and I didnt go for a run in it.

They may let you water test a second hand boat however i dont know that this happens very often.

Wade as the guys are saying use a reputable dealer or find someone how Knows a bit about boats to help you out.

It all depends on what you want, what you are going to do with the boat and how much you are spending. Going for something thats only a couple of years old with low hours will save you a few dollars rather than buying new.

BTW my current rig is for sale (as I am upgrading) have a look in the classifieds.

choppa
09-02-2012, 11:46 AM
also be a bit wary if the "second hand boat" is not their on a consignment basis. If so,,, there will not be any warranty,,,

when i purchased the little tinny from a Caloundra dealership,,, it was a consignment boat,,, they allowed a water tank test,,, and showed me enough paperwork receipts etc on services that made me believe the story that the boat was indeed an item taking up more space in the owners garage that he could spare,,,

BUT,,, i did make a couple of calls to the Service Centres where the services where carried out to put my mind at ease that they were actually done,,

choppa