PDA

View Full Version : Musgrave 7th Feb 2012 Red Things....

marvin
08-02-2012, 03:32 PM
767827678176780Hi all, After posting the vacancy for one crewy on Ausfish, with no takers, I managed to find a bloke who had never caught a Red Emperor before and when I asked him if he wanted to catch one in the morning, he said is a fishes but water tight.... so off we went. Departed Bundy at 0700hrs, heading out past the Round Hill headland at 0900hrs after bacon and egg burgers from the servo for breakfast.
We set the GPS for a little patch that a trawler mate gave me for a carton of Millers Chill, he said the mark was worth a carton, so I paid up with the beer in advance....:-?
A good hour run out at 25 knots in a beautifully calm sea had us excited like little kids in a candy shop. We decided on a drift first up to see what mother nature would provide for us, and a nice steady straight drift line to the southeast was began. This way we could cover the surrounding area with a bait on the bottom rather than sounding around for an hour. The bait jigs went over and all we could catch were 35cm hussar, mmmmm have to slab them I guess as a livie over a foot long mite be a bit too big for a Red thing....:P
We were using 50lb main line, a number 10 ball sinker above a swivel on a 45cm 100lb trace to two 7/0 snell rigged Dynatec chemically sharped hooks.
One crewy out of the 4 of us was using a double dropper paternoster style rig, as he likes eating parrot fish, so that was his job was to catch some mixed reef fish for his lovely wife that has a sweet tooth for the venus fishies.
On the first drift we got 4 hussar, 3 parrot, 3 grinners and a 7kg Red Emperor on a butterflied Hussar. :D;D
That worked well we thought, so back a mile we went and moved over about 50 feet to restart another drift. So this we did for the next couple of hours marking good shows and big bites on the GPS as we covered the new ground. We found that the patch was about 60 meters wide and very patchy, with a sandy bottom in between outcrops of 1-2 meter high bottom growth with the fish only right ontop of the growth patches. We tried to anchor but they were that small that being 5 meter off the mark would get us grinners and nothing else.
Forth drift over the now marked track with a better choice of baits, half a grinner head end, with the knife ran up to the gills making for a lovely butterflied grinner about 7 inches in size and the tail ends were slabbed and used for the parrot fisher....;)
The rod buckled over and Peter the first timer, was grunting some sort of noise that should probably only be found in a toilet cubicle, he nearly slipped over trying to keep it up, pump and wind steadily mate, the sharks won't worry you....::)
I got the video cam out to film what ever this stressing thing was, as it came into few, I called it for a "Red Thing",,,, as it came up in the clear deep blue water, Pete could not believe his eyes, into the net slipped a Red Emperor just under 12kgs.:o
Happy days and high fives all around. Over the next couple hours we only got one more red there and a few more parrot and half a dozen hussar for baits later on.
We then headed to the Stuart Shoals area east of Musgrave to the spot where a mate caught a pair of 15kg reds a few weeks back, they were his fish, and no others lived in that area, after 4 drift passes not a show.:'(
We anchored up on a ledge just on sunset to have a beer and cook some fish and chips watching the sun set past the island on a glassy calm afternoon is truely a special thing to enjoy with a few mates.
After a quick fish and chip fold over, ( grilled parrot fish in butter, with thinly sliced potatoes lightly fried put down one side of a piece of fresh bread with the vacant side of the bread folded over to make the top of the sandwich, thus the "fish n chip fold overs"...lol.
The Red Throat Emperors began to take a liking to some whole small cuttelfish and we put on half a dozen in a short while just before the run stopped. We had a couple more shifts in this area and another drift, but to no avail.
We decided to head back to the first spot, as we were confident that the Red Things should be there buy the shows we found that morning.
We drifted agin along the same lines and managed to tally up 7 legal reds in the next 2 hours. By midnight the fish gods turned off the switch, we did another 5 drifts in and around the area with nothing interested in taking a bait, not even a hussar...
The guys took this chance to catch some zzzzzz's while one kept fishing and on look out as a trawler was working in the distance. As the sun came up, we tried the Mussy ledges for a trout but had no luck on the orange things either, we headed south to the Red Fern area for a cople more parrot and 2 grass sweetlip in the next 2 hours. It was decided at 0800hrs we were tickled pink with our catch, so the outside bar mark was entered and a trip home at 30 knots in a glassy calm sea topped off the two days on the water for us.
What I learnt from this trip, looking for new ground is a must ever time I go out, grinners are great Red Thing biats when the head end is butterflied and jiggled in the right areas that a Red should be, (near hussars and Trigger Fish)...;) And that the fish will often bite for only few hours a day, so if you can work out when this is, be on the best spot for this time, inbetween is when you should be sounding around or having a beverage and a nap, because when the Red Things are hungry, you will want to be ready for that couple hours of great memory making fishing. :):)

jtpython
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Lucky Buggar MArvin Nice work . Did any of those storms make it that way yesterday afternoon
JT

fishfeeder
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Mate top read and I could taste the fish and chip fold over..... (yummo)
Some great pictures to make us all drool ... well done and does that mark still cost a carton to get it ???

Cheers
Brett

tropicrows
08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Great read and report Marvin. I'm still to catch one of those red things.

marvin
08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
We were back in Bundy by lunch time Tuesday and the storms that did pass over later that arvo were to the north of us, so whilst fishing, perfect weather when at home after the clean up, it rained for about an hour, so we timed it just right... Kev.

marvin
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Should be three pics up the top of the post? Sunrise from the ledges, 12kg Red, Group picture holding 6 of the Red Things...

Mate top read and I could taste the fish and chip fold over !! yummo
I am waiting like a kid in a lolly shop, for part 2.....

Cheers
Brett
PS. need some pics !!

clevelandv8
08-02-2012, 04:25 PM
how many reds did you end up with?
damn..... that looked like an awesome couple of days indeed!
wish i was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redhunter
08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Great read there marvin and some nice reds those grinners are top bait every time i get one thay are sent right back to the bottom.
steve

fishfeeder
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Mate when I posted that my screen never showed the last few paragraphs or photos... I then noticed the pictures and edited my post !!

Still a great read and top fish mate well done to you an the crew..

Boat Hog
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
A great trip out on the water and an enjoyable tale to read. Thanks

marvin
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
how many reds did you end up with?
damn..... that looked like an awesome couple of days indeed!
wish i was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We ended up with 7 reds in total, I got 4 of them, 3 crewies got one each, between 6 and 12kg. The boys all put in some dollars to cover the trip so we just divided it up and got about 8kgs of fillets in total each from the whole catch. When I am averaging only a trip a month, that gives my family a feed a couple times a week of nice fish after the inlaws, pay back mate favours, rellies out west etc all get given a feed too.

FisHard
08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Love your work! Great read and thanks for sharing.
If I wasn't pumped about heading up there on Friday before...

trymyluck
08-02-2012, 05:59 PM
You know how to rub it in don't you, I'll give you 2 cartons..........;D

Te Whiti
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Great read Kev...Thanks for posting.

Bull
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the report and pics Kev another fantastic trip well done.

Cheers Bull

Horse
08-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Top effort on the fishing front Kev and a very enjoyable read as well. I think those marks might be worth more than a carton or two now. Its probably best that you PM them to me so that I can keep them safe for you if your GPS dies

outwide1
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Good report Kev.
Beautiful out there and nothing better then kicking back having a feed and a beer as the sun goes down.
We are blessed to live in the lucky country.
Cheers Mick

Muddy Toes
08-02-2012, 07:07 PM
When the call went out for a deckie I was spewing I had to work........not next time Kev......next time I'm Quitting!!!!
Great work mate.

RAGINGBULL
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Maaaate a carton only
I can taste those Fish fillet fold overs mmmmmmmm on a hungry tummy at sunset.
done it many many times on hussars etc, hussars are awesome fresh on the barby with Garlic and onion

Ooooh the humanity

Mark

FisHard
08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=RAGINGBULL;1352138 hussars are awesome fresh on the barby with Garlic and onion
Mark[/QUOTE]
No risk of the decky wanting a pash after that ;)

BillyT2382
08-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Awesome report kev thank you, They look like some really nice fish, if ever your looking for another deckie, well i'll pay for the next carton can't promise it will be full tho..lol burp!!!
Nice work mate..

Cheers
Billy

marvin
08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
The thing is Guys and Girls, I was given about 10 marks off 1770 by this bloke and this is the first one I have checked out, so fingers crossed I mite have won the fish lottery. And yes I intend on dropping another carton off to the guy who no longer fishes or works the trawler up there who gave me the marks. With 7 months until the Meet and Greet up there, I should be able to knock most of them over, and if not the week in September will likely be spent finishing them off with a visit to the most impressive spots on the way. Should I start the beer bidding for a mark or two... LOL, All good guys, once I have done the scout over them, I will flick up one or two to the highest bidders at the M&G. Thanks again for the kind feedback on the post, I was just glad to make another dream a memory... Kev. :-)

buggerit
09-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Nice work Kev . Next time you go you might have half of Ausfish hot on your duckboards to check out them marks . Oh I meant to say we would all tag along to offer companionship and support .:D;D;)8-)

Kev

trymyluck
09-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Nice work Kev . Next time you go you might have half of Ausfish hot on your duckboards to check out them marks . Oh I meant to say we would all tag along to offer companionship and support .:D;D;)8-)

Kev

Safety in numbers you know.........

TREVELLY
09-02-2012, 05:54 AM
A good read Kev - thanks for the report.

You will be followed at the M&G - failing that a tracking device attached to the boat.

Have to admit by the sounds of it you have made one of the best one carton investments I have heard of too - well done!

No Fear
09-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Great report mate, I'm heading out there tomorrow afternoon for the weekend. Hopefully there is still some red buggers around Musgrave!!

Good work!

XtremeBoony
10-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Great report Kev, great fish and an awesome effort, well done

Cheers from boony

Spot82
10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the report and pics Kev!

Cheers for sharing, but I wouldn't be sharing red marks mate, they are easily over fished and once you give it to one person you have really given it to 10 the time it gets passed around. There is heaps of country out there and we spend a minimum of 3 hours searching every trip and always find new ground, this is without running different tracks between marks which also often results in new pieces of country be found, that way you have a lot of marks in an area and can move around till you find the fish that are biting. Just because you fish it and don't catch a red doesn't mean they aren't there either, if it looks the goods on the sounder they will be there, when they decide to chew is another thing ;)

Sounds like the area had some coffee rock and/or fern by what you described on the sounder, maybe try and find the best looking patch anchor, burley up and wait for the fish to come to you, if you are catching fish the activity of the peckers will bring in the predators :)

Looks like an awesome trip! What time did they bite? We found the afternoon bite till about 3pm and then from 6pm until 9-10pm, got a few nice fish as well but we were a long way north of Musgrave.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3097/dsc6922u.jpg

Anthony

Bull
10-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Looks like you had a crackin trip as well Anthony. How long were you out for and how many did you get?

Cheers Bull

fishfeeder
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Anthony, How about you write a report its been awhile,
I for one always enjoyed reading and viewing your reports on red beasts..

Cheers