PDA

View Full Version : Who's got their Lifejacket signs on their boat.

bundylundy
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
I was wondering how many boaties out their have there red with a white backround or a white with a red backround lifejacket sign attached to the hatch or storage location on their boat. If the lifejackets are not in plain view, then a sign must be afixed to indicate their storage location. Apparently a $200 fine if not displayed. Do all Skippers have apretrip safety briefing to all persons on board before every trip? It is mandatory. All the details are on the "MSQ" website, but should be sent to all registered boaters if any change to the regs. All boaters should take a few minutes to have a read of the changes for the new year and have a read of the frequently asked questions. Was aware of some of the changes but my fishing club brought the rule about the lifejacket sign to my attention.

Jeff.

Matt76
08-02-2012, 05:01 AM
I never knew about the sticker, where do we get one?

Mossy247
08-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Yep, it is part of being a skipper keeping up to date with rules and regulations.

BGG
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
In NSW the stickers seem to be available from Maritime Offices. http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/lifejackets.html
I can't find the same offer on the MSQ site.

pipifin
08-02-2012, 06:43 AM
I still can't understand why they cant send out law/rule changes by mail to each registered boat address.

Feral
08-02-2012, 07:31 AM
interesting NSW are providing stickers, my understanding of their new laws you would mostly be wearing your jackets, very little scope for having them stowed.

Mine are in plain sight under the bow, so not an issue for me. I see a few of the chandlery's are selling stowage bags with the outsides carrying the relevant signage.

Blusta
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
pipifin
Don't apply common sense to government boating/ fishing organisations has been my experience.
A novel idea...Sending out a newsletter of the changes; thoughtful even.

Agrav8_and_Lulu
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
My life jackets are also in plan view under the bow, and also came with a big fluro orange bag to put it all in. But I also give a safety briefing to all who come on my boat, from where the life jackets are, flares and V sheet. To moving around the boat so the unsuspecting person doesn't get wet when the weight shifts to one side. But I think as a registered boat owner, I to would like information sent to me by mail, with any changes in law.

Mossy247
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Qld Transport would more than likely slug you an extra few bucks on the rego under a "Notification Fee" hehehe. Interesting changes made across the board with the inclusion of more Bars requiring lifejackets to be worn when crossing them. At the end of the day ignorance is not an excuse. I guess that is the bonus of sites like this to create awareness for boaties. I would say that 80% of the boats I have been on wouldn't comply to the new rules.

jameshallam
08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
and no boating shops on the northside have any in stock

Marlin_Mike
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Isn't it supply your own stickers/labels?

Why should the government supply them??? The law says use life jackets. Should they supply them? Or epirbs? Or flares? Surely you can make your own label for it?

Mike

Stewey
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey Jeff. Could you check your pm's mate. Sent you one recently.
Regards

Stewey

Boat Hog
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
So whats next ... a sticker on the side of the boat that say's "This Way Up"?? ::)

Marlin_Mike
08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
So whats next ... a sticker on the side of the boat that say's "This Way Up"?? ::)

True mate, understand what you mean, but while numbnuts make the rules we still
have to follow them..........................

Axl
08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Yep, it is part of being a skipper keeping up to date with rules and regulations.

That may be so Mossy247 but when they change the rules with no notification alot of people may never get the message.

Qld Transport would more than likely slug you an extra few bucks on the rego under a "Notification Fee" hehehe. Interesting changes made across the board with the inclusion of more Bars requiring lifejackets to be worn when crossing them. At the end of the day ignorance is not an excuse. I guess that is the bonus of sites like this to create awareness for boaties. I would say that 80% of the boats I have been on wouldn't comply to the new rules.

For the boaties who use this site it certainly is a bonus I wasnt aware of the change however I am now and ill make some moves to get the sticker. In saying that there are literally tens of thousands of other boaties out there who wouldnt be aware. The people that change the rules should notify all registered users.

Boat Hog I love it mate but I wish you had'nt mentioned it if some moron from the department sees this post it wil be in.

cormorant
08-02-2012, 05:57 PM
sending them out witha rego lable would be too bright . Bloody nongs

If you get a really picky officer having them stored in a bag is not good enough nor is having them in the bow. Must be accessible and handy to use. You would have to upset them but there is no real definitions so their discretion can get stupid. Yeah I know a hatch is not that accessible but you know how teh nongs police these things on a bad day. I just put cheapies in the side pockets in NSW with our dumb laws. Wear good ones when we have to.

Won't be long before we all need a lit exit sign on a open dory.

bundylundy
09-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Labels are available from Whitworths Marine and Liesure for between $9.99 and $13.95 depending if you want luminous ones or not. They under the safety equipment section in their catalogue. I 'm getting mine made up at local engraver in Happyrock for a couple of $'s.

Jeff.