PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Aqarium

fishinwahbee
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Hi all.

I will investing in a fish tank in the next month or two and am after some advice. I would like to do it cheap.... $62 1000l per hour canister filter. With included media. It has a 1 year warranty so im happy. I will be running a 4 foot 200l fish tank and will be trying to get one for free (help would be great-carton of beer...) from the local dump shop which i have seen them there before. 200watt heater. Drift wood. live sand. It will be salt. Hydrometer for water salinity tests. 5 in one test strips to test the following: Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite, General Hardness, Carbonate hardness and a separate ammonia test kit. The fish tank will have a background. Also a 50 watt fluro light from bunnings with homemade housing.

The water, first question?

If i was to Get water from the sea i would be restricted to land based. I live on the sunshine coast and would be after a spot where i can find the clearest of salt water. Plankton would not be a problem as i have heard if you are to leave it in a container for 5 weeks it will die and not be a problem.

Another question? where is a really good fish store with really cheap salt (if i chose to do it that way), driftwood and chemicals. Basically General products. Mainly The driftwood and salt though.

If you find anything wrong with my setup please note.

Fishinwahbee

jimbosplumbing
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Gday mate, im not sure about in salt but in fresh tanks, driftwood will discolour the water to a slighly yellow tan colour

waterbouy
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
G'day,
I recently started a simillar topic in the spearfishing section, some great advice has been posted. Maybe have a ganda at that!

fishyweare
07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
there is a lot to consider regarding the setting up of a saltwater tank you need to work out what you want to keep, fish only or soft corals as soft corals require more then just a canister filter and a light from bunnings you will need a chiller and so much more it's important to get it right for the sake of your wallet and for the marine life you are going to put in it .
there is some really good forums out there for info but i would suggest to call in to a couple of your local aquarium shops who deal in marines and to gather your info from the experts ( and remember to cycle your tank before adding marine life as you will loose them to ammonia and nitrate spikes ) but if you have kept aquariums before you will already know this.
Cheers
Paul.

fishinwahbee
07-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes mate I have read many forums and know that you have to cycle the tank until your tank is steady. I am not at the level where I feel confident to run a coral nor planted fishtank. Fish only. I am a fisherman so I know a fishes local habitat which I will try to create. Many of these local habitats do not consist of plants on coral. I will catching my own fish from the sunshine coast. I have recently watched at least 10 YouTube tutorials, read many
Forums and websites and have
Made a 5 page booklet of dotpoints which I have read over
Many times. I have also made a shopping list. Thankyou for posts!

fishinwahbee
08-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Just a quick question. Where do i find Live Rock on the sunshine Coast.

mk1
08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
look up coral plantations

fishinwahbee
09-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Cheers Mate Great website and i think not bad prices. What does everyone think about getting natural sand from the Maroochy River next to Chambers Island