PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning aluminium hull - or pay someone else?

ortho85
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I've got a 4.89m Stacer runabout that's been moored in the canal at Noosa. It's growing some interesting things, so I reckon it's time to clean the hull.
Is this something I can do with my Gerni, if I haul it out on the trailer, or should I bite the bullet and pay someone to do it on their slipway?
Any tips, either way?
Thanks!

The Woo
07-02-2012, 03:17 PM
A little 1500psi Gerni will take an age, but if you own a good one, 3000psi plus, it's much easier. Once blasted, treat with acid, and it'll come up ok.

Obviously easier if you can get the boat off the trailer and up onto it's side, completing each side of the hull alternately.

Whether you do it yourself or pay someone else depends how loose you are with money.

Me, I'd buy a six pack and do it on a Saturday afternoon when it's too windy to be fishing :)

Then I'd use some of the money I'd saved and buy a floating dock to slide the boat onto.

ortho85
07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks - I'll check the psi.

Must be a cheap floating dock you're talking about? Or they charge a lot for cleaning! :)

Cheers!

Stuart
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
It would easier to leave it in the water and then swim under neath with a scrubbing brush than to take it off the trailer. At least if its done on the water then you wont have any stinking rotting growth to deal with.

ortho85
07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Does it come off that easily (with a brush?).

rayken1938
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Good chance that you will find barnacles starting to grow there. Can you just put it up on a bank at high tide and blast it when the tide goes out.
Cheers
Ray

Aussie123
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
They are a pain to clean on a trailer because of the rollers and lack of access under the boat.
If you have the time let her lay over on a sand bar on a run out tide and give one side a good clean.
On another tide do the other side.
A paint scraper,good brush,elbow grease and a few beers is all you need to clean her up.

wirlybird
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
a petrol blaster and some sunchem will do the job a treat

The Woo
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks - I'll check the psi.

Must be a cheap floating dock you're talking about? Or they charge a lot for cleaning! :)

Cheers!

Haha, no, if only they were cheap! I mis-worded it, my bad :)

I got a reasonable deal on mine and I still reckon what they get away with charging for a bit of blow moulded plastic is highway robbery! Better than cleaning barnicles though :P

ortho85
08-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I have a bad habit of running on to sandbars - would make a change to do it on purpose. Automatic sandblasting!

Cheers!

pipifin
08-02-2012, 07:04 AM
It would easier to leave it in the water and then swim under neath with a scrubbing brush than to take it off the trailer. At least if its done on the water then you wont have any stinking rotting growth to deal with.

Just the occasional bull shark lovin the burley LOL

The Woo
08-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I have a bad habit of running on to sandbars - would make a change to do it on purpose. Automatic sandblasting!

Cheers!

Funny you say, I dragged my unpainted tinnie behind a mate's 4WD over at Moreton Island recently to give her a bit of a polish. Although kept on a slip, my tinnie is in the water probably 4/5 days a week and does get a little stained.