PDA

View Full Version : BCF raises $100,000 for Australian Volunteer Coast Guard

wirlybird
07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
This significant achievement was marked with the presentation of a $100,000 cheque to the AVCG at the Redcliffe Flotilla on Saturday 4th February. Read more...

As part of BCF’s community sponsorship program for the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard (AVCG), the team has raised over $100,000 through its in-store “round-up” initiative.
This is a significant achievement for BCF and is indicative of the excellent work by the BCF team in supporting the Coast Guard with funding and raising awareness of the role the Coast Guard plays in marine safety and protecting the wellbeing of Australians, many of whom may be valued BCF customers.
The cheque for $100,000 was presented to Australian Volunteer Coast Guard National Commodore Ray Campbell on Saturday 4th February at the Redcliffe Flotilla by Steve Doyle, Managing Director - Leisure Retail.
“The team at BCF has done an absolutely outstanding job to encourage customers to contribute to the ‘round-up’ initiative,” Steve said.
“Our teams across the country have led the way by encouraging customers to contribute significantly to the overall donations, highlighting their strong community commitment and proving that every donation helps.”
“We look forward to continuing this initiative and aim to further strengthen our support for the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard to continue their education and rescue service to the boating community,” he said
Australian Volunteer Coast Guard National Commodore Ray Campbell congratulated BCF on supporting the Coast Guard and assisting in delivering their vital rescue service to people in the marine environment.
“The funds raised will be distributed between the flotillas and will assist AVCG in search and rescue, purchasing vital rescue equipment and public boating education. The BCF partnership provides a vital platform to promote marine safety to the wider community,” he said.
This is a great opportunity to really work as a team and help an organisation that reaches out to so many Australians each year.
Over the coming months, we will continue to keep you updated on BCF’s progress in raising funds for the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard as well as other ways in which you can become involved in this successful partnership arrangement.

kind_cir
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
In there the other day and was asked if i'd like to round it up to help the Coast Guard, and i'm like F yer, what an awesome idea.

$100, 000 That's prety dam good to hear.

wirlybird
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
every little bit helps. Even 5c a transaction over 100 stores makes it a great incentive Hats off to a place that regularly gets marred as a big faceless multinational business. i don't see any one else doing this in this financial climate

Crunchy
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I always say "yes" to the rounding up request and the other day I was wondering if the money gets to where it's supposed to go, good to hear that is does.

TREVELLY
07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Yep do the same - would be great if more companies took this initiative

Angryant
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Great initiative - only problem I have is where is the thanks to the customers who donated? BCF was only the conduit to collecting the money. Apart from that negative it is an excellent outcome!

Carry
07-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Good to see these thieves doing something for the community rather than just robbing everyone.

wirlybird
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Great initiative - only problem I have is where is the thanks to the customers who donated? BCF was only the conduit to collecting the money. Apart from that negative it is an excellent outcome!

That should come from the coast guard shouldn't it? BCF run this at a loss to administer?

Angryant
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong as I don't work at BCF; I would have thought that the donations are calculated electronically through the register, totalled daily (again electronically), and talled electronically in head office. Therefore the actual human resources to administer this would have been minimal. Having said that, as I indicated above, it is an excellent outcome.

Muddy Toes
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
The only thanks I need is the voice at the other end of the radio when I need it and to see the yellow boats heading out over the horizon when someone needs them.
They don't need to thank me because the AVCG was established for me.....and you......and for anyone out on the water.
We should be thanking them for their time.

wirlybird
08-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong as I don't work at BCF; I would have thought that the donations are calculated electronically through the register, totalled daily (again electronically), and talled electronically in head office. Therefore the actual human resources to administer this would have been minimal. Having said that, as I indicated above, it is an excellent outcome.

As you have said most of it is electronic but the modification to a system usually costs around 50k to do this, not to mention some one at the register asking you and taking the time to alter the sale. Then your financials have to be separated as its a publicly traded company that's another person. Multiply this by a million transactions and your bound to have a few bad ones that need to be manually fixed and so on and so forth. it turns out to be quite a big cost but well worth it

Lucky_Phill
08-02-2012, 06:35 AM
AVCG have 55 squadrons through-out Australia. None in WA.

The AVCG ( Australian Volunteer Coast Guard ) is a seperate organisation to the VMR ( Volunteer Marine Rescue, 25 Squadrons in Qld )

Having said that, the $100,000 equates to $1,818.00 per squadron. That doesn't seem like a lot, but every little bit helps.

The funding for the AVCG and VMR comes from some State Govt... limited to about $20,000 per year ( unchanged for 10 years or more ) and the rest is through donations, chook raffles, Waterside assist program etc.

Well done to those that " rounded - up " and also to BCF for putting something back into the community.

Hopefully the 2 organisations will merge in the not too distant future, here in Queensland ( together that will be 47 squadrons ) and the Govt will recognise the importance of these entities and provide PROPER funding.

To all that use the water, a $50 Waterside Assist / membership is a good insurance investment with your local VMR / Coast Guard.

LP

Shawn 66
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
AVCG have 55 squadrons through-out Australia. None in WA.

The AVCG ( Australian Volunteer Coast Guard ) is a seperate organisation to the VMR ( Volunteer Marine Rescue, 25 Squadrons in Qld )

Having said that, the $100,000 equates to $1,818.00 per squadron. That doesn't seem like a lot, but every little bit helps.

The funding for the AVCG and VMR comes from some State Govt... limited to about $20,000 per year ( unchanged for 10 years or more ) and the rest is through donations, chook raffles, Waterside assist program etc.

Well done to those that " rounded - up " and also to BCF for putting something back into the community.

Hopefully the 2 organisations will merge in the not too distant future, here in Queensland ( together that will be 47 squadrons ) and the Govt will recognise the importance of these entities and provide PROPER funding.

To all that use the water, a $50 Waterside Assist / membership is a good insurance investment with your local VMR / Coast Guard.

LP

It may be me , however I simply cannot see the justification for having both organisations . Would it not be simpler to have the one entity .
Shawn

fisho8
08-02-2012, 01:18 PM
That is great new they really could do with that money atm well done.

pipifin
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah tis great news...... I wonder if BCF can claim the donation back on tax lol :P

propdinger
08-02-2012, 01:54 PM
so did BCF donate the money or is it from its customers or did they match dollar for dollar sorry im confused (easily done lol). not a dig at them a honest question

Angryant
08-02-2012, 06:02 PM
so did BCF donate the money or is it from its customers or did they match dollar for dollar sorry im confused (easily done lol). not a dig at them a honest question

When you purchase at a store the staff ask you if you would like to round up the total and donate the difference to the volunteer coast guard. Example: you buy some items and the total comes to $39.46 - you round up to $39.50 and the .04c difference goes towards the donation made to the coast guard. So, the customers make the donation however BCF is the mechanism used to collect, total and donate. I hope that sense.

Marlin_Mike
08-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah tis great news...... I wonder if BCF can claim the donation back on tax lol :P

No, because it wasnt their money that was donated.

Mike

BigE
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Well done BCF ........ Not so well done to the tall poppy cutters. best wishes to the VMR & AVCG thanks for your time and effort.

BigE

Angryant
08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Well done BCF ........ Not so well done to the tall poppy cutters. best wishes to the VMR & AVCG thanks for your time and effort.

BigE

I take it that is a direct shot at my comments - I am not bagging BCF for the initiative at all; to the contrary they have done well. My point is to highlight that BCF has not made the contributions. The contributions came from people purchase from BCF and "chip in" to the cause and there was no mention of those contributions in the first post; so please do not take my comments out of context.

wirlybird
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah sorry the first post wasn't really that conclusive as i get the information because im a shareholder. it isn't always the full story and i think its ok to question the process if your unsure.

Chas & Clarry
09-02-2012, 06:31 AM
When you purchase at a store the staff ask you if you would like to round up the total and donate the difference to the volunteer coast guard. Example: you buy some items and the total comes to $39.46 - you round up to $39.50 and the .04c difference goes towards the donation made to the coast guard. So, the customers make the donation however BCF is the mechanism used to collect, total and donate. I hope that sense.

Shop there heaps...never been asked. Still a great outcome!

BM
09-02-2012, 07:00 AM
I take it that is a direct shot at my comments - I am not bagging BCF for the initiative at all; to the contrary they have done well. My point is to highlight that BCF has not made the contributions. The contributions came from people purchase from BCF and "chip in" to the cause and there was no mention of those contributions in the first post; so please do not take my comments out of context.

I agree with your position Ant. Bravo to BCF for taking the initiative and developing such a system but accolades for the donation should be centred on those who actually supplied the money. The general public.

wirlybird
09-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I don’t think they have made it a secret where the money came from, and they can’t get every donator up there to hand over the money so I’m not sure how you would satisfy your mind block here. I donated several times and I don’t expect a thanks. My expectation is just that the money goes to the right place and is used in an emergency if I’m ever in a situation to need their help. Beyond that this wasn’t main stream news so they were happy to hand over the money and get a warm fuzzy feeling for helping out a service in need.

Stuart
09-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Couldnt give a stuff about what BCF do. They stole and used my name Precision Rods for a range of rods called Precision Boss Rods. I could have gone them and won but as it is always the case it would cost me around 7-10 K to put through. So If BCF say they donated 100K then you cares less, it was never there money to begine with.

Stuart
Precision Rods

BigE
09-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Didnt mean to get up anyones nose ..... just thought it was nice to see a business suppport the services i use and cherrish ......... beat the support going to the enlightened tree huggers association. ............. I quite sure BCF are not as pure as the driven snow ..... come to think of it neither am I maybe that why people of good ilk feel the need to save me from myself.

If it helps angryant you weren't in my mind when i posted so rest easy old mate.

Cheers BigE

Angryant
09-02-2012, 08:28 PM
My final say on this - FACT: BCF created an initiative to ask customers to round up the total of their purchase and the "round up" figure would be donated to AVCG; FACT: Customers donated the "round ups" which came to a total of $100K; FACT: The total of customers' donations is passed from BCF to AVCG........Summary - well done to all concerned!