PDA

View Full Version : Yatala boats

stevel3
06-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi all,
I have decided to sell my boat and get a smaller one.
I have it on trading post site but had a phone call from Yatala
boats wanting me to put in on consignment. I have only
just listed it and asked her to call back in about 3 weeks time.
My question is has anyone else dealt with them like this
and what are the pitfalls,
thanks Steve.

johncar
06-02-2012, 08:40 PM
My advice is to do everything possible to sell it yourself first. If it's a good rig and priced OK you should sell no worries.
Consignment can have pitfalls so def get good advice before doing it if you do go that way down the track. I am sure you will get some advice here.

I will raise a couple of issues and firstly that is to not presign transfer papers. They will probably want you too for their convenience but I would say no and tell them that if the boat sells you will meet them at a prearranged time where you will only sign the papers on receipt of the bank cheque. i would also keep my drivers licence number to myself so that papers can't get doctored up as easily.

If you are going to do consignment, go with a long standing dealer and no doubt some will be listed here.

Make sure your Insurer is notified of the change of storage address and that it is still covered while under consignment, presuming it's insured..

Check on your boat regularly, as much as practical while at the dealers yard, make sure it is being looked after.

Make sure that the dealer discloses and additional costs/charges to you, in particular for engine condition reports or any servicing and or supposed repairs.

and the list goes on...

Steeler
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Back yourself, nobody knows it better than you.Be patient and remember you don't need to be skilled in the art of selling if your selling something you really rate.

Without knowing your asking price remember at present it is a buyers market but if you are going to purchase another then same applies, its all relevant.

stevel3
06-02-2012, 09:25 PM
thanks for the replies, this is the link to the online ad and I have already had a couple of enquiries

https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP005031075

fandtm666
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
there was a post a while back of a fella here being done like a dinner when selling the
boat on consignment and the place went bust.

If you decide to sell on consignment hold onto all paper work and if it sells you go
in and sign paper work over and get cheque then and there

Marlin_Mike
07-02-2012, 08:38 AM
When I was selling my boat last year, I also had phone calls from dealers looking for stock on consignment. I declined, and sold it myself. Consignment is fraught with danger IMHO, as someone else said, back yourself and be patient.

P.S: Any nibbles from the scammers yet? You know, the guys on oil rigs, etc etc LMAO

stevel3
07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
yeah had my first scam call today, also had a call from a bloke who seemed very interested, just have to wait and see.

Si
07-02-2012, 09:09 PM
what did the scammer caller have to say for himself out of curiosity?

johncar
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks like a nice rig, you shouldn't have any worries selling it

stevel3
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
thanks John yeah it is a nice boat and i'm not really that bothered if it sells or not I just need to use it more if it doesnt sell. The scammers are usually easy to tell as they wont ring you and they only want to deal thru emails. I sent him/her a txt and said if genuine ring me, guess what no phone call. I have sold a few things in the last couple of years and they are like the response from Mike above, they want to buy it for their brother/whoever who cant ring because they are away working, yeah right. If ever in doubt ask them to call you and give you their details, thats soon sorts them out.

I have actually sold a couple of motorbikes on consignment and not had any trouble, that was thru Springwood Suzuki, might just have to be carefull who the dealer is, anyway from the replies I think I will keep it at home, I can still use that way as well :)

Axl
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
thanks John yeah it is a nice boat and i'm not really that bothered if it sells or not I just need to use it more if it doesnt sell. The scammers are usually easy to tell as they wont ring you and they only want to deal thru emails. I sent him/her a txt and said if genuine ring me, guess what no phone call. I have sold a few things in the last couple of years and they are like the response from Mike above, they want to buy it for their brother/whoever who cant ring because they are away working, yeah right. If ever in doubt ask them to call you and give you their details, thats soon sorts them out.

I have actually sold a couple of motorbikes on consignment and not had any trouble, that was thru Springwood Suzuki, might just have to be carefull who the dealer is, anyway from the replies I think I will keep it at home, I can still use that way as well :)

Thats my thought as well stevel3 I have had mine up for sale for several months now (upgrading to a bigger rig) and I considered consignment but you cant use them when they are sitting in a boat yard.

Market appears to be a bit slow at the moment being that it is just before and after xmas but it will sell in time and I can still get out for a fish;) .

As for scammers I recon ive had about twenty in the last several months bloody idiots>:(.