PDA

View Full Version : Mahi Mahi = Fun !

Lancair
05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi all,
Long time member, first time thread in Off Shore reports. (waited for a decent report to give)

Myself and 2 mates crossed the Richmond River bar about 6.40am ( a tad later than planned but . .) We decided to head straight to the FAD, having had minor success (2 dollys and a hoo) just before Xmas out there the last time we got out. About 1/2 mile from the fad out went the lures, 1st pass a mate hooked up to a respectable 80cm Mahi Mahi (dolly), 2nd pass another hook up. (similar size) Trolled around the FAD and 2 nearby floats for another hour, could see the dollys but didnt hook up.
We decided to try drifting around the FAD area and cast some smaller lures to see if we could get them interested. We could see fish following the lures in the clear blue 25C water but they werent biting. Pete decided a prospecting bottom bash was in order and rerigged accordingly for the next drift (he caught a 65cm flathead on that drift in 60m of water). Davo changed to a popper, I rigged a single hook on a whole pilly.
My pilly got smashed within about 5 secs of hitting the water, after a decent fight including lots of aerial action, a 1.2m Mahi Mahi was welcomed aboard. Needless to say the other 2 quickly rerigged and the fun began.
We had a double and triple hookups going on for the next hour and a half, the action was frantic, baits didnt sit in the water for more than 10secs before being smashed. Most fish were of legal size, with an average of around 80-90cm. Then, as though someone flicked a switch, they went off the bite. We could see them all checking out our baits but no enquiries. Then on the next drift, they were gone :o Didnt see a single fish, at the end of that drift we spotted something LARGE and brown a short distance away, a few seconds later, a 7-8 foot hammerhead shark surfaced about 20m from the boat. Coincidence ? ?
At the end we had 18 Mahi Mahi and one flathead in the esky but we released many many more. We didnt keep an accurate count of released fish but we think about 20.

To add to our great day out, we had a flying fish (about 4cm long) land in the boat after hitting Dave in the leg, caught and released a skipjack tuna while trolling on the way back in and had 2 dolphins playing on our bow for 20mins or so, while trolling back in. Ive seen dolphins playing off the bow of much larger boats, but this was a first for me in a 5.65m boat.

To those who think taking 18 Mahi Mahi might be excessive, we each have large extended families/friends and all fish will be consumed fresh in the next few days. We didnt keep killing to the legal 10 each. I dont know about the other guys but when I had 6 in the esky, I squashed the barb on my single hook.
An example of the size fish we caught. (strange how pictures seem to show smooth seas)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/P1010072.jpg

TimD
05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Good session on the Dollies there fellas :thumbsup:

What lures were you's trolling ?

cheers tim :)

Coodgee
05-02-2012, 08:31 PM
That's absolutely awesome mate. You won't forget that day in a hurry.

TREVELLY
05-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I've been out on one day like that and it was memorable - thanks for sharing.

When they are timid throw out a hand full of pillies one with a hook - they can't resist a hand full passing them by.

Lancair
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Tim, we trolled some hex head and bullet style skirts with success and tried some bibbed lures at slower speeds for no joy. We threw silver slice, metal spoon, and popper style lures at them with shows of interest but no hookup.
I doubt I will forget this trip, no doubt the fish will get bigger over time, but hey, thats a fishermans right !

Some more pics. The fogging is in the camera lens ? Long story but . .
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/P1010097.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/P1010091.jpg

trymyluck
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Mate, don't apologize for taking home a great feed of fish, how many times is the esky empty. Been told they are a great table fish, one day I will find out.

Mark

stonecold
06-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Mate thats a great read..thnx. I was out looking for similar action over the xmas break. Had one half hearted hit near the fad but that was it.