PDA

View Full Version : Off Mooloolaba Sat - 4th Feb

TREVELLY
05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Went out sunrise-ish about 5am (high tide) came back in about 1pm (low-tide) - I will tell about the tide significance soon - I reckon it's important to note if you are going off Mooloolaba soon.

Went around to some shallow reefs looking for bait - no joy then trolled with downrigger around a couple of reefs and it was damn difficult in the wind at the time 15-18 knots SE and choppy and basically crap - going slow was uncontollable.

Trolled a couple reefs for zip then my poor buddy whilst retrieving his cap from the water with the gaff impulsively snatched at it to grab it as it was falling back into the water - my gaff is extremely sharp - a big gash in his hand and lotsa blood - bugger :( Decided to pull up stumps and head back after dressing his wound. I have an accident trauma type first aid kit onboard - useless for headaches and small things but pretty good to patch up his hand - will put some more wound dressing kits into it now.

On the way back, and around 7am we spotted some working birds about 10km off Mooloolaba that we saw on the way out so we returned to them. Taking a bleeding hacked up neighbour home with no fish was not the plan so I was determined we should have one fish each. The wind by now was under 15 knots and the sea pretty good - would have been a shame to miss the opportunity.

With lotsa bait on sounder - the water 27 deg - we got first yellowfin on a trolled jethead.

Decided as buddy was comfortable but not able to do too much to just simply troll two rigs one surface lure and one diver to prevent the mess I got last trip reoccurring.

We trolled a 20 foot diving X-Rap and jethead skirt for a while and got a couple more yellowfins on the X-Rap. Next lure change put out a red and white halco to retire the jethead and got a mackerel.

Satisfied we headed back to the river at lunchtime and saw the river mouth now at low tide with 2m plus green waves crashing across it :o A set of 7 to 9 waves one straight after another greeted us - far out! That explained why the big cat leaving in the morning when we went out stopped at the river mouth - to have a real good look.

We sat off the set and watched for a while and kept an eye off to the side to be sure of no sneaking units behind us, waited for a lull, then did the 100m dash as fast as we could - it was safe enough but still got the heart rate up as we entered the river mouth at 60kph through lots of white water then into the brown murky river water still going out.

Two boats were behind us - one about 9m but not too fast and the second was the police patrol unpainted aluminium cat about 60 foot long - a big unit. The 9m mono boat came through and dropped over one swell breaking about 1m high and did a bit of a flop, but he was smart enough to angle in the river so he could turn into the waves a bit. The police boat having no holeshot at all came in collecting a 1m breaking wave beam-on and stopped the wave - was quite impressive to see how quickly it rocked - bet the guys on upper deck got thrown about.

We all missed the bigger 2m plus stuff but the audience on each rocky outcrop to the river were awaiting the comings and goings of many different boats being entertained at our expense.

All in all a good day out - but I will be much much more intune with the river mouth, and in future will not attempt any after dark entry or exit in similar sea or tide.

The arvo I spent cleaning fish and boat and neighbour spent in hospital getting stitched up - will go and see how he is now.

fishfeeder
05-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Good read and hope the deckie's hand is ok..
Hopefully the seas will drop over the next few weeks so the 18th will be a lot nicer on the bar !!

cheers
Brett

TREVELLY
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
No worries Brett and Bull.

Carl was in good spirits today and just embarrassed he did something so silly, but hey it was more reflex action to get his hat before the water gods got it - oh and yes the water gods did get it, even though he did catch the hat, when the blood flowed he dropped the hat straight away - that hat >:(:-X.

He ended up getting 5 stitches - it was a reasonable size double cut from the diamond shaped tip gaff point.

I am putting a longer soft hose to cover the tip more than the previous cover to prevent another similar accident. Original cover came with gaff - is short and small and simply keeps falling off gaff tip.

He is allowed to go out again and his wife is understanding :)

Neighbour had yellowfin last night and enjoyed it from the barbecue - I will have mackerel barbecued this afternoon - should be nice. :)

Floating Rib
05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Good report Trev, ive been thinking of going through the pin tomorrow with the wind supposed to be down but watching the swell forecasts and reading your post has me thinking maybe not. Mate im always worried with the gaff in my Inflatable, seems not just the tubes we need to worry about putting holes in though, also do you bleed your yellowfin for eating.

BillyT2382
05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice work trev hope your neighbour is all well mate ouch 5 stitches..Atleast you guys got a feed...

Cheers
Billy

TREVELLY
05-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Good report Trev, ive been thinking of going through the pin tomorrow with the wind supposed to be down but watching the swell forecasts and reading your post has me thinking maybe not. Mate im always worried with the gaff in my Inflatable, seems not just the tubes we need to worry about putting holes in though, also do you bleed your yellowfin for eating.

Good observation FR - I did bleed the mackerel but not the yellowfin - but after cleaning them and cutting out the blood I will in future definitely bleed them. In fact I think I will from now on make an effort to bleed all fish - it's such an easy do in my boat with a large floodable kill tank under the floor then straight into the esky in iced seawater.

A good point thanks for raising it.

malby
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Well done Trev in some harsh conditions.

Sad to hear about your neighbour's hand....ouch!:'(

Seeing all of those yellowfin has me pumped for our upcoming Barwon trip.8-)

Graeme and I got out in the Bay today and did alright also. ;)

I'll put a post up soon in the Estuary/Bay section.

Can't hardly wait for my first trip out to the Banks.

All the best,

Mal