PDA

View Full Version : Are 2 batteries needed when running a sounder?

Runlikehell
05-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,

apart from the starting backup wired in twin batteries would provide, is there any real need to have a 2nd battery fitted? Has anyone ever not been able to start the engine on a trip because their sounder flattened the battery? If so how long was it running for?

Wouldn't a better way to go be to just turn off the sounder when at anchor? When trolling, the battery should be getting charged as the engine's running.
tks,

Chimo
05-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi Skip

Some yrs ago my12 month old Lowrance sounder /GPS lost pixcels and Lowrance advised me they would honour warranty and replace the unit but unless I powered my electronics from an isolated (from the engine) house battery there would be no more warranty.

I had a house battery setup installed with an ABC that isolates the motor battery from the house when starting or when battery volts were too low. No more issues and no more need for warranty.

Maybe electronics are now smarter and are no longer affected by spikes etc from starting motors but thats a question I cannot answer.

Re staring a motor when the battery is flat , my set up allows both motor batteries to be linked if one goes flat.

I.E. you start the flat battery motor with the other motor battery then isolate the good battery from the flat one and start the second motor. The first motor with obviously run even if its battery is flat unless you have one of the new fangled motors that need their battery to be in tip top shape or you reach for the oars or phone for a tow.

Cheers
Chimo

marto78
05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
I have been running a sounder, gps, vhf, stereo and running lights for 3 years now off the starting battery and it is just starting to give me troubles now. I am lucky with my motor as I am still able to pull start it if the battery is flat but after pull starting the 90hp a half dozen times yesterday I think I am going to buy 2 new batteries and wire them in.

Seahorse
05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Skipak.
I got a pwc with a sounder.
Bit hard to pull start a pwc.
Mate, I bought a smaller battery. A fuller enclosed one, just bit smaller than the pwc battery.
I put this in from storage unit and I run my sounder of that. I never had any worries with sounder running of other battery but was always bit worried as I do fish of it a bit.
I just clipp the wires onto it when I go out. They say that u will get at least 10 hrs of it but I reacon a lot more.
I just got it strapped in with a thick rubber strap.
Been ok so far.

Cheers
Greg

Runlikehell
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
thanks Seahorse. I came across this site in the U.S which has heaps of info from guys who've been doing it over there. Looks like PWC fishing is bigger in the U.S than in Oz - or maybe just because there's more of them.

http://www.jetskisportfishing.com

You've got to throw up 6 posts before you can look in their Saltwater Garage, but it's worth it. I'm definitely going twin batteries.

cheers,
Paul

vegasfund
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Skip i just fitted my ski with a RAYMARINE A57D and put a second battery in the front storage compartment (yammy vx 09) . Everyone i spoke to said it should be fine with one but who wants to risk it when your fishing out wide by yourself. It also eliminates the power surge problem when starting.

I gotta get me one of those pull start skis.

Seahorse
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I want one as well.