PDA

View Full Version : Tinny floor replacement - help

whichway
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I haven't used my tinny for a while and it needs a bit (lot) of TLC.

The carpeted plywood floor is completely shot. I have built these before for other boats and know what is involved, and I don't want to do it again.

Anybody know anyone in Brisbane who might be able to do new plywood and carpet floors?

Its a 4.35 sea jay with pedestal seats.

chris69
04-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I dont understand if you have done it before why not do it again,except this this do it .....right ......and get some kokoda external ply wood and 4.8lt 5-1 epoxy kit,this ply is very light.

simo2601
05-02-2012, 02:43 AM
What is involved? Does it have an aluminum frame? Replacing is way easier than building from scratch... could be done in a weekend with time left over to mow the lawn and have a beer Sunday arvo

tunaticer
05-02-2012, 06:50 AM
The next time i replace the ply in my boat I am going to use 3mm aluminium sheet and glue the carpet to that. The bearers that support the floor will also get carpet strips glued in place to avoid the rattle of alloy to alloy. Price wise I think it will be similar seeing you will not have to seal the alloy like you do ply. Weight wise it will be a huge reduction which will make a difference in my 4.1m tinny with a 25hp on the back.

The Woo
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Give me ply any day. It feels "softer" under fott, and most tinnies benefit from a bit of weight down low, and the ply suppresses hull noise much better too.

To the OP, qustioning who would do such a job, I would suggest any marine trimmer or even furniture maker would make this for you no problem, especially if they can use the old, original flooring as templates.

Mrs Ronnie H
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi
My question is that if you replace the floor with aluminium does it change the boat at all. Like in balance, handling etc. I have looked at our floor and seen the ply starting to become a little uneven. Although this may just be that the carpet is lifting around the edges. need to investigate it further.
What would the cost be in terms of aluminium compared to ply also.
I hate the carpet on our floor. I thought ally got hot but our floor gets just as hot even though it is carpet and the screws that hold it down are rather hot if you stand on one as well.

Ronnie