PDA

View Full Version : Get out there

jackiej
03-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Hi guys... Been a free member for a bit and only just became able to post. I have a 3.45m bluefin tinny and i had a few good experiences in it but am wanting to go out to peel is. and reefs as well as the estuary fishing and crabbing. What would you recommend for the most comfortable boat for this type of fishing. Still only recently new to boating.. Frequent to the pine and bribie passage but nothing too outgoing... And also for a cheap price. What are the advantages of fibreglass to ally to plate??? What is plate( sorry if that is a stupid question.) Thanks to any and all advise.. Trying to keep to a minimal budget aswell..
Cheers Jacko

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

wiz
04-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Hi Jackie,
You need to answer a couple of questions so that you can start to narrow it down a bit.

1) what is the budget?
2) just bay fishing or offshore reefs?
3) when you say comfort do you mean ride or comfort as in cab and shade?

Answer these to start with.

jackiej
04-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Sorry ok budget ariund 5000 to just get use to everything.. More just the bay reefs and comfort as in if it gets a bit choppy i wont be feeling like im on a trampoline.

wiz
04-02-2012, 08:21 AM
you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand 4m tinny with 30hp 2st for around that sort of money. That should do most of what you intend to do comfortably. Obviously comfort ie trampoline will depend largely on the conditions you choose to go out in.

wiz
04-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Something like this would be what I would suggest.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11983163

At the moment it is a buyers market so definetly look around.

jackiej
04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.. Do you think i would be able to get to these places with the 3.45 bluefin? It has a 15hp on the back

wiz
04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
you could no worries on the right day. But lack of experience in the bay on the wrong day could be scary. With a slightly larger tinny and a bit more grunt would give you a little more leeway when it comes to unexpected conditions. with the smaller boat you will be limited to 5-10knt days which are a lot rarer than 10-15knt days that you would be able to handle in the larger tinny. Bear in mind that even 15knt winds in a 4m tinny can be testing.

The Woo
04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Stick with the Bluefin brother! Maybe spend a little on it such a shade, sounder, quality seats, all the safety gear etc,.... and get out there. It's always best to pick favourable weather. I fish Peel in a 3.99 metre V nose, it's a cake walk.

jackiej
03-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will just be keeping the bluefin due to circumstance change. Would love to catch up with some and learn a thing or two as this is my first boat and no one to really learn from other than my own mistakes.. Funny sometimes..

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Kero
03-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Where are you located?
I'd be more than happy to go out boating with you. I frequent the Passage, sometimes Pine & on a good day, head out into the bay. I'll give you some tips on boating if you teach me how to catch fish ;D.

jackiej
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Haha im afraid we both may be in need of help in that department. Located northside brissy.

Mossy247
03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Haha im afraid we both may be in need of help in that department. Located northside brissy.

Mud Island is always an option if your Northside, ever want to follow us out I am more than happy to give you a few pointers.

Don't forget there is some good spots in the Brisbane river also if you love fishing. I used to punch out to St Helena in my old 3.75 allycraft, its about picking yours days and keeping an eye on the weather. Like they say mate if she blows up in the bay no matter what size boat you got good chance you'll get a lumpy and wet ride home. I know I wear the spray and lumps in my current 4.3 when she gets blowy around the 15-20 knots. Always go within your limits it is a different world when you can't shut the doors and walk home.

tight lines - Mossy

matt fraser
03-05-2012, 01:21 PM
What are the advantages of fibreglass to ally to plate??? What is plate( sorry if that is a stupid question.) Thanks to any and all advise..

Fibreglass boats are generally heavier than alluminium, and generally better in hull design, therefore the ride is quieter, drier and smoother. More expensive than a tinny, easier to scratch, usually require more Horses to power.

Tinnies are made from 1.6 to 3mm alluminium with pressed ribs for addition strength. Cheap, reasonable tough, mostly production made, lighter, easier to handle solo, don't ride as well as glass or plate.

Plate boats are usually 4mm - 6mm plate alluminium. They are tougher, heavier, and some ride as well as some glass boats. Most are built to order, allowing more custom options. Usually serious boats for serious fishermen. On par with Glass for price.

Welcome to the world of boating,

Matt