PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Buying a new boat

wadewhitwell
02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi,

I am going to purchase a used boat (half cabin around 14-16ft) and i REALLY REALLY need alot of help!!! :-?

As i have never owned a boat before and i do not know anyone that has owned a boat before.

If anyone can please help me with information it would be much appreciated. I would like to know when i am inspecting a boat what i should be looking for (positive and negative things on the boat) etc etc.

Just any help would be great. Anything like outboard compared to inboard, fibreglass compared to aluminium, size motors.

Thanks so much and i look forward to hearing from you.

Wade

Triple
02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
A few more details will help, What will be it's intended use and where will it be mainly used?

johncar
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi Wade, I imagine it would be a bit daunting getting into it with little or no background in boating. We are here to help. I was fortunate or maybe not, not sure, but anyway I have always been around boats from when I could walk and pushin 60 now so seen a lot and spent many hours around these things.
Too many things to discuss here without more specific questions from you but I would suggest that you seek someone in the area you live who may be prepared to give you some insight and tuition on the things you need to know.
I am near Bribie Island and am happy to help you and at least discuss what you want to do with your boat. Just PM me if that suits and I can give you a call.
Joining a local VMR or Coastguard would also be a great move for you. Plenty of old boaties in there to talk to and you can also consider being a trainee on boat crew, where you can gain plenty of experience and build confidence. You will also learn some valuable things about safety at sea.

gruntahunta
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Where are you from Wade?

fisho8
02-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Mate the possibilties are endless when it come to finding a second hand boat and there are a heap of brands out there to choose from. I have a whittley clearwater they do a 1600 clearwater version click on the link.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11797178

Depending on where you live I know the guys down at Northside Marine well at Boondall they have a good range of second hand boats down there at the moment. but just the same pick a brand you like and then start shopping around for it and you will be sure to get a bargin somewhere. Good luck mate.

Mrs Ronnie H
02-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi
research very carefully and think about what you are going to do. Are you going to take the family, are you going overnight, where are you going.
We went through the whole thing ourselves and bought a 21' Cruisecraft with inboard. Now we have a runabout, only the 2 of us and if we want to stay overnight it is easy with the airbed on the floor and a full canopy cover. Now we have the outboard it is a whole lot better as well. Can be alot of cost associated with an inboard compared to an Outboard cost. An inboard may also take up fishing room- something you need to consider as well.
It can be a nightmare when buying a boat.It took us twelve months to decide on our boat and what we wanted and needed on it. take your time in deciding.

Cheers
Ronnie

Axl
03-02-2012, 04:46 AM
I'll give you some "HELP buying a new boat" buy mine its in the classifieds.;)

But seriously you need to give some more info like what you plan to do with it, where you plan to store it etc. There are so many different rigs out there these days and they all have there pros and cons depending on your needs.

BTW dont forget to have a look at the classifieds.;D

djfish71
03-02-2012, 06:02 AM
A mate of mine has his Haines Traveler Tf155 for sale, 60 Suzuki 4 stroke, gps, sounder, radio, canopy, multi roller trailer all about 5 years old for $20,000, it is immaculate condition

Angryant
03-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I think you need to provide more information such as what you have as a budget, your intended use, family outings or purely for fishing etc.
Then it will be easier to steer you in the direction you need to be moving with this.

wadewhitwell
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks heaps for your responses. I probably should of listed a few extra things as to what i want the boat for.

I am needing a boat that will go from the redcliffe, brisbane area across to moreton and north stradbroke island. It would be me n the misses and our 14 month old son. Mainly just for cruising and putting a line in the water as we go along. The main thing i do know is that i want a half cabin and with some shelter and shade to protect the little one.

Any further help is much appreciated.

Thanks again, Wade

fisho8
04-02-2012, 07:54 AM
I had one of these before I bought my 21ftr good bay boat got me over to Mud and Moreton no worries at all I put a 115 Merc Opti on the back and it flew along has good cabin space come with full clears and launchers depending on your budget mate I would look at something this size if you want to travel some distance around the bay.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11967294

Also have a look at these not a bad boat for the money either.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11033128

If you like aluminium have a look at these Stacer & Quintex build a nice boat to.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8757617

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7729683

These might be something you may want to have a look at to.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8275381

Haines make a good boat aswell.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10704332

Good luck mate choosing the right boat to suit your needs can do your head in It took me a couple of goes to find what I wanted just set your budget find a brand you like and go from there.:)

PADDLES
04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Wade, we like family boating and lesson number one is to not get anything unreliable as your family will not want to go out with you if it breaks down and they feel unsafe. We run out of Beachmere and try to get across to Moreton when we can so pretty much do what you wish to do, i can safely say that you will need to be looking at fibreglass half cabins in the 5.5 - 6m size. this size range will usually have motors anywhere from 115hp to 200hp. for anything reasonable you will really need a budget of $25-40k to start off with. maybe look out for older hulls with a newer technology outboard that's only a few years old or even keep an eye open for a suitable hull that is cheap with a motor you can replace.

Make sure the trailer is good or if it is a bit dodgy at least make sure it can be easily repaired. Most running gear on a trailer can be easily replaced by someone who is a bit handy but major structural work is do-able but not always worth the cost in time or cash.

Any of the late 80's onwards Aussie half cabin hulls will be worth a look, so keep an eye out for the bigger names such as the Signature and Haines Hunter ranges as well as maybe Cruisecraft.

Do you have somewhere to store it and do you have something to tow it with? Always keep these things in mind too. Good luck with your search, being out on the water with your family is one of the best activities ever.

wadewhitwell
04-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know if there is the RACQ equivilant for getting a boat checked for seaworthyness and motor before purchasing the boat?

Thanks again.

Wade

Angryant
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if there is the RACQ equivilant for getting a boat checked for seaworthyness and motor before purchasing the boat?

Thanks again.

Wade

No, you can contact Garry (Spaniard_King) - he can can check it for you. PM me for his contact details if you need to.
Angry

Prowl n Wolf
04-02-2012, 05:40 PM
g'day wade, for me i would consider a platey for your first boat. i did and reckon for starting out they are great to get the hours under your belt. having had both ally and glass, the barcrusher was great to get my head around all the aspects of boating without the worry. by this i mean offshore ancoring with a float, banking, launch & retrieval (single handled) and towing. im in no way saying ally is tougher than glass or do not want to debate this but i found the platey to be more forgiving as a beginner. i reckon spend some time looking at both and see what feels right for you and your family. regards, tony.