PDA

View Full Version : Negoation with a Dealer

troy
01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I have been given a price on a boat motor and trailer and was quoted $39990.
How much can you get them down too without being unreasonable.
Have no trade and will pay cash.
The boat is a 5.1 noble - 90hp Honda - trailer- with no sounder or vhf or gps.
This the price on the water.
Troy

krazyfisher
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Try ringing a few dealers get some prices than offer your preferred dealer that deal at your best quote

outta line
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
$$$$$ talk so when i bought my boat from a dealer i offered 5k less than asking ....with the reply i will sell it to you for $$$$$ nothing less i was happy with the price so i went ahead with the deal so i ended getting $2750 off asking .... so i guess try 4k to start they will soon let u know how low they are prepared to go........ money in your pocket is better than theres and in this market the buyer has the power.....

johncar
01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Is it new or used?? If new that seems like a reasonable price but depends what it comes with and the quality of the trailer etc.

I tend not to try and beat them around the head with undervalue offers, it can be annoying. I just think about what I want and then shop around and if I decide on a boat ask for their best price and tell them you are comparing it with a couple of other options which is often true anyway and if they want the sale they should look after you.
I think that is a fair way and if the dealer doesn't feel like they have been fleeced they may be more inclined to look after you with any other things you may want included along the way. The opposite may see you getting less that you thought.

I work in sales (not boats) but I can tell you we don't like silly stuff from customers, our prices are what they are, margins are set to provide for wages and overheads and good long term customer service. There may be a few % leeway at times but not a lot. If a customer treats us right we do the same back.
No worries making an offer but just approach it politely and be prepared if it is knocked back and don't let that put you off buying if that is the one you want.
Good luck with it.

nigelr
02-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Johncar makes some very good points IMHO; make sure the trailer is up to spec and of good quality, and good after-sale service can be priceless.
Make sure the dealer can provide this service, and can continue to provide it for at least the length of the relevent warranties.
If they have a good reputation and provide excellent, courteous service, this is something that IMHO is well worth paying a little extra for.
Cheers and good luck, sounds like a nice rig.

troy
02-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Should have mentioned it is all brand new.
That is why i wanted to know how much if any they are willing to negotiate.
I know they have to keep there margins to stay in business.
Troy

Mossy247
02-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Pay what your happy paying mate, make an offer if they aren't happy they won't accept. I have never paid asking price on any of my dirtbikes, they have mark up's if you want to give your money to them then do so, but it is a buyer's market and if you were selling used vehicles or new you would be pretty naive to believe they would pay your ticket price. It is only worth what you will pay for it and the end of the day. If you want to make the dealer feel warm and fuzzy give the guy a carton of beer. A reasonable offer is one they will accept, your happy paying that then deal done.

outta line
02-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Pay what your happy paying mate, make an offer if they aren't happy they won't accept. I have never paid asking price on any of my dirtbikes, they have mark up's if you want to give your money to them then do so, but it is a buyer's market and if you were selling used vehicles or new you would be pretty naive to believe they would pay your ticket price. It is only worth what you will pay for it and the end of the day. If you want to make the dealer feel warm and fuzzy give the guy a carton of beer. A reasonable offer is one they will accept, your happy paying that then deal done.

To rite mossy.....ido agree with some of the other points in johncars post as well......if the dealer wants this deal to happen he will go out of his way to do so....the dealer knows his bottom $$$ and isnt going to give it to you without making money.....and if they can turn over a boat to get a new one in the yard they will.......like anything its only worth what someone is willing to pay .....

Dicktracey
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
I recently purchased a boat spending a week back and forward bouncing prices off different dealers.
End story $6k better price in trade and a shitload of extras for same purchase price, dealer felt raped so I felt like I won, 2 dealers point blank refused to move either way and their boats are still for sale so I guess they are happy as well ;)

Coodgee
02-02-2012, 08:12 AM
You might find iteasier to get him to throw in the extras like sounder and gps for free. It only costs him his cost price for those items while you will value them at retail price. So $4000 worth of electronics might only cost him $2500.

Micadogs
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
If it was me buying the boat, I would feel a lot more comfortable having a few quotes and establishing a fair market price that way. talk to a few other dealers and see what their pricing is like. It may turn out the price already given is sharp and that is the best buy, it may also turn out that a few $$$$ can be negotiated away.

fat-buoy
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Agree with all points so far.. what you will find is that the dealer is likely to fit out the boat and trailer with the "cheapest" fittings etc to keep the bottom line down so that they do not scare customers away.. you may end up being able to upgrade the trailer or something else and get it at the same price or very close to it rather than trying to get the price to come down.. a couple of thousand $$ over the long term is nothing but it may end up being the difference between a mediocre set up and the one that suits you better.

TheSaint
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I would tell them straight your a cash buyer & what is Their best price then cut abit off that.. if your not happy walk.. if they want the sale they work with you to you come to fair agreement..

gr hilly
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
i would ring 4or5 dealers even if they are to far away from you, you are the purchaser and you say yes or no i know a fella just recently who on a 60;000 boat in brissy got a quote in cairns4,000 less he told the dealer here he had been offered this boat for 5,500 less in cairns and said its a cheep holliday and i can tow it home,he ended up getting the boat in brisy for55,600 he was shopping for 1 week good saving there as he was quoted 63000and 64000 at some others dealers, so if you look you may save a heap of coin mate good luck.
Hilly

Gon Fishun
02-02-2012, 04:45 PM
$37000 cash with GOOD quality sounder and GPS fitted.
Tell em to make you a cuppa with a lamington while your waiting for the paper work.;D
PS. And a VHF.:P

gruntahunta
02-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I have been given a price on a boat motor and trailer and was quoted $39990.
How much can you get them down too without being unreasonable.
Have no trade and will pay cash.
The boat is a 5.1 noble - 90hp Honda - trailer- with no sounder or vhf or gps.
This the price on the water.
Troy

Troy...best advise I can give is go to a broker...they have arrangements with all the dealers and get the best prices because the dealer knows that 99% of the time they will get the business, a sure sale.

i saved about $5000 when I bought my new WRX through a broker. The broker gets paid by the dealer (and it is not much) but will get you a way better price than you can.
Regards Pete

fisho8
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
$39990 is a bit rich for BMT with no sounder or VHF. I got my Whittley Clearwater 1750 BMT with a 90hp Merc with a vhf radio, sounder GPS combo, Bimini with rocket launchers, esky, tackle storage boxes, rod holders,baitboard,carpet, and Epirb for $39000.00. Things like these items can swweten the deal so I would be hitting them up for as much as possible.

Apollo
02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Agree with Coodgees approach. Much easier to get them to option up than to price down. I have just completed this same process and ended up with a small reduction in price, but a much bigger increase in options I wanted.

All the best
Steve

PinHead
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM
$39990 is a bit rich for BMT with no sounder or VHF. I got my Whittley Clearwater 1750 BMT with a 90hp Merc with a vhf radio, sounder GPS combo, Bimini with rocket launchers, esky, tackle storage boxes, rod holders,baitboard,carpet, and Epirb for $39000.00. Things like these items can swweten the deal so I would be hitting them up for as much as possible.

is that a 17.5' boat ?

fisho8
02-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah Pinhead 17.5 ft.

b_hoffy
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree with most of the guys here, ring around and get more prices. At the end of the day its your money, so make the most of it.
I recently bought a new boat, went to the main dealer/manufacturer and asked for a price $85000 with a mercury motor. Told him i didnt want a merc and only wanted a yammie or a suzuki, he wasnt too keen on that so I went and researched who else sold his boats. Another dealer a few hundred kms away, same boat, same extras, suzuki motor 25hp bigger, for $9000 less.....work that one out!!!
Even got a price from interstate that was cheaper but the dealer wasnt keen to sell it to me as I was in the same state as the manufacturer.
Good luck with what ever you choose, you will enjoy it either way

troy
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
This dealer up here does not seem to interested in selling me a boat.
Gave me the price and that was it.
No competition up here so he knows if i want a noble there is no where to go.
Troy

Cheech
03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Troy

You have all the east coast + to go to. My last car I bought from down south as it was about 5K cheaper than here in Bris. They even through in the transport to deliver it to me in Brisbane. Look further afield would be my advice.

STUIE63
03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Troy I think J&B marine in Ingham are agents for noble boats might be worth a bell

propdinger
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
CENTRAL & NORTH, QUEENSLAND

Dealer: J & B Marine
Address: 75 – 95 Herbert Street | Ingham QLD 4850
Phone: +61 7 4776 1188
Fax: +61 7 4776 1288
Email: jbmarine@bigpond.com (jbmarine@bigpond.com)

Dealer: Ocean Marine
Address: 27 Connors Road, Paget | Mackay QLD 4740
Phone: +61 7 4952 2436
Fax: +61 7 4952 1702

Dealer: Honda Marine and Watercraft
Address: 35 Bowen Road, Townsville QLD 4812
Phone: +61 7 4759 3200
Fax: +61 7 4775 1673
Email: sales@hondamarineandwatercraft.com.au (sales@hondamarineandwatercraft.com.au)

off nobles website

troy
03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Troy I think J&B marine in Ingham are agents for noble boats might be worth a bell

Stuie tried them but they wanted $45000 but it had a 115 suzike 4 stroke.
Down south is a lot cheaper then even the $39990 but will have find out freight cost.
SK told me a client of his just bought a 2010 model with a 100 4 stroke with 30 hours for $32000 and had the extras.
Troy

PinHead
03-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Troy

perhaps he could not move on price based on his margins.

troy
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
CENTRAL & NORTH, QUEENSLAND

Dealer: J & B Marine
Address: 75 – 95 Herbert Street | Ingham QLD 4850
Phone: +61 7 4776 1188
Fax: +61 7 4776 1288
Email: jbmarine@bigpond.com (jbmarine@bigpond.com)

Dealer: Ocean Marine
Address: 27 Connors Road, Paget | Mackay QLD 4740
Phone: +61 7 4952 2436
Fax: +61 7 4952 1702

Dealer: Honda Marine and Watercraft
Address: 35 Bowen Road, Townsville QLD 4812
Phone: +61 7 4759 3200
Fax: +61 7 4775 1673
Email: sales@hondamarineandwatercraft.com.au (sales@hondamarineandwatercraft.com.au)

off nobles website
Tried all but one off them and that is Ocean Marine.
All dearer then Brisbane.
Troy

troy
03-02-2012, 02:13 PM
perhaps he could not move on price based on his margins.
Most likely you are right that is why i started this thread.
They have to make their margins.
Just wanted to find out what is a reasonable offer.
Troy

deckie
03-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Tell him you baulked at another one coz it was made in China...then tell him you really wanted a good aussie Noble.
See what he says.
Then start negotiating.

troy
04-02-2012, 05:51 AM
This being made in China has caused me concerns as i really wanted a noble but for some reasons the Dealers i have contacted do not seem to eager in pushing them and it is not because i have even tried to bargin with them.
So i am at a bit of a loss of what the reason is.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
04-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Troy, I can supply the Noble for you if you like.
After the fitout we did on Captain Seaweed's boat that went in Australia's Greatest Boat competition, Noble asked if we could come on board as their special vessels dealer.
The build quality is spot on.
The paint issues have been adressed.
Also, as the special vessels dealer, I have the option of getting the bare hull and painting it in Australia.

Cheers

Pete

troy
04-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Troy, I can supply the Noble for you if you like.
After the fitout we did on Captain Seaweed's boat that went in Australia's Greatest Boat competition, Noble asked if we could come on board as their special vessels dealer.
The build quality is spot on.
The paint issues have been adressed.
Also, as the special vessels dealer, I have the option of getting the bare hull and painting it in Australia.

Cheers

Pete
Thanks Pete,
I will contact you later.
Troy