PDA

View Full Version : FFSAQ support for a general fishing licence

Thepato
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
In reading the latest minutes from the Freshwater Fishstocking Association of Qld's (FFSAQ's) last meeting I am concerned to see their support to introduce a general fishing licence for Qld. The extract from the minutes is as follows:

4. Fishing Licence. In principle, FFSAQ believes in this conceptand endorses a process to proceed with the implementation, but will not adoptthis position until endorsed by stocking group members. FFSAQ has asked stocking groups for commentand feed back including reasons for and against. Comments from stocking groups have indicatedthat the vast majority are in favour of a general fishing licence. FFSAQ provided a reminder circular to stocking groups, but received little furtherresponse. A motion “That FFSAQ is not opposed to the concept ofa state wide general recreational fishing licence, but acceptance is subject toconditions” was carried on the motion of Charlie Ladd and George Miller.

I believe the current SIP scheme has been an outstanding success for QLD's freshwater fishery and I can't see a replacement or additional licence giving as much money back to local fishstocking groups. If you belong to a fishing club or stocking group that is a member of FFSAQ I urge you to ask your group to respond to to FFSAQ's request for comments on this issue as apparantly they have received mostly positive feedback so far. Fishers should be fighting the introduction of a fishing licence but here we have a peak representative body endorsing the idea and doing the hard yards for the politicians who I am sure would love to introduce a fishing licence to raise more revenue.

Gazza
01-02-2012, 05:47 PM
SIP is good :thumbsup: , RFL is BAD :thumbsdown:

Bad_Bazza
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Maybe a reason why a lot of clubs had not responded is that the were on break.
As with our club, we had our first meeting since December last night and we voted on that issue.
The majority of our club wished to retain the SIP which has been working extremely well for freshwater stocking.
Those that did vote in favour of an overall fishing licence would want guarantees that freshwater stocking funding would remain at least at current levels and increase with appropriate indexing over time.

The reasons cited for wanting an overall fishing licence is that with this in place the govt of the day would then be able to value recreational fishing which it is unable to do at the moment.
This in turn would give us much more political clout into the future.

An overwhelming distrust for any government controlling what funding we get was the main influence on so many people wanting to retain the S.I.P. What they promise today is quickly forgotten tomorrow.

It has been known for some time within the stocking groups that the government has been trying to find ways to get their hands on the S.I.P funding (even to the stage of inferring they where the instigators of the S.I.P. scheme!!) but because it was tied up so well when put in place they have not been able to do that.

The danger of us losing or having our funding reduced through a general licence is far to big of a risk and as with Gazza's comments keep the S.I.P.

This also raises the issue what has happened to all of that money that the government has collected through PPV which was to be used for the benifit of recreational fishing and boating?
I understand when questioned they have not been able to give a creditable answer to this question.

I'll leave you with this as something to think about.

Regards
Bad_Bazza

Macks forever
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
If the SIPs is working so well, and I believe it is, then surely that is a reason for extending the principle to all fishers in Qld?

Yes there is the concern about funding being gobbled by bureaucracy. But as Bad_Bazza said
"It has been known for some time within the stocking groups that the government has been trying to find ways to get their hands on the S.I.P funding (even to the stage of inferring they where the instigators of the S.I.P. scheme!!) but because it was tied up so well when put in place they have not been able to do that."
So it can be done if set up right.

I will support a general rec fishing license AFTER the government sets up a Trust with binding rules. AND transfers the PPV into that. AND guarantee at least the same funding to go to the stocking programs. After that, and only after that, look at further ways to raise funds, eg a licence, if and when those fund are needed.

They can do it. They just don't want to.

Gazza
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Mack , the SIP works so well because , at the "Stocked" impoundments they cover , they are "Stocked" , but a general i.e. "everywhere" RFL can't and never will achieve that for Saltwater, it will just create a "check your Lic." mentality.

Freshwater I can choose to fish "stocked & pay" or FW rivers for free.
IF the SIP itself ,needs??? to be increased to say $40 or some PPV monies are also allocated ,fine ,no problem.

IMO.....don't fix something that's not broken , because "they" will override/re-write the monies allocated , once you "give up" the SIP.......IMO

bradley@ippy
02-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I couldn't agree more with the Gazza's comment above. I would like them to leave the SIP alone, as from what I've seen, read and heard freshwater fish have really benefitted from the SIP. If the RFL does come to effect they should divide the 2 water groups.

How would RFL benefit people fishing in Saltwater?? Cleaner esturies and bays? some saltwater dam? More Saltwater fishing stocks??

CAN IT BENEFIT THE AVERAGE JOE???

If we don't belong to a fishing club where can we show/express our opinion to try and influence this matter.

Luc
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
The government doesn't need a RFL to establish the value of recreational fishing.

The government simply does not want to acknowledge how much it's worth cause if they did, the current managing of fisheries could not be maintained.

Current fisheries management is all about commercial fishing.