PDA

View Full Version : Any Cat Owners in Cairns

Snapperscott
31-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm sick of reading all the mono v cat rubbish. Any cat owners in Cairns prepared to take a willing participant into the realm of twin hulls?

Scott.

Master4Med2
31-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Snapperscott,

That's the only way your going to find out which will handle our slop the best !!

As for me, I'll keep my 233.
The only problem I have, is that I get a sore neck having to look back to see if the cat needs assistance.

Snapperscott
31-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Snapperscott,

That's the only way your going to find out which will handle our slop the best !!

The only problem I have, is that I get a sore neck having to look back to see if the cat needs assistance.

If you need another crew member to split costs let me know very keen to see how 233 goes at rest (and at speed). I have the stability at rest but struggle at speed beyond 3-5 foot inside.

scott.

Jarrah Jack
01-02-2012, 09:25 AM

Any chance of some pics, love those machines.

Drew70
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
You wont beat a cat in big sloppy chop, the faster you go the smoother you get, individual motor trim allows you to balance the boat when travelling at angle to the chop
cheers
Andrew

Flex
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Been in all sorts of boats from Brisbane to cape york

By far and best is a well driven cat in any conditions all over Aus. The key with cats is you do need a smidge of experience on how they perform. But nothing is faster than a cat across chop or swell. Anyone who says otherwise has never been in a cat with an experienced driver.

julian1
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
yep a well driven cat is hard to beat, ive had 680, 233 and now a couple of cats and the only mono close to the cat is a 233 in a head sea, every other direction the cat is as good and sometimes alot faster, plus you get the stability. get a ride up there with someone who knows what theyre doing as with any boat including a 233 a badly driven or badly setup boats can be $hithouse

The Woo
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
yep a well driven cat is hard to beat, ive had 680, 233 and now a couple of cats and the only mono close to the cat is a 233 in a head sea, every other direction the cat is as good and sometimes alot faster, plus you get the stability. get a ride up there with someone who knows what theyre doing as with any boat including a 233 a badly driven or badly setup boats can be $hithouse

I can't agree more.
We ran a 23 Sharkcat while our great mate ran an original 233. Both had similar twin 2 stroke power. Both were driven by blokes who knew how to get them working properly.
To his disappointment, the 233 owner couldn't beat the cat anywhere except dead into a 1m plus sea. But even then, bear away 10 degrees in the cat and, even tacking, you'd still beat him to the destination. It was close, and a damn fine boat, but not quite a capable as a well balanced Sharkcat.
Downhill,beam on, good cats are wicked. I say good, because I've had a couple of heart-in-the-mouth moments in two different cats in some sea states. (maybe those boats were badly set up or something, who knows)

However, major downer for me and cats is the tunnel slap while trolling or anchored. It drove me nuts, especially trying to work back upwind to a bait ball while trolling live baits. Bloody thing slapped its guts out.

EDIT: I should have added, how much I LOVE the 233 and several other mono hulls. And a nice mono is a thing of beauty.

Master4Med2
02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Drew70, Flex, Julian1, The woo,

I've seen how this debate has ended up in other threads.

My intention was to have a little humor injected into this thread, not to start any arguments.

All your comments regarding cats are 100% correct. I my self have owned numerous cats, mainly shark cats and marlin broadbills for commercial purposes in the early 1980's.

However since then, all my experience has been with much larger vessels 28m plus cats. It has only been recent that I have purchased a coulpe of 233's, for personel use.

The Woo
02-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I think it's safe to say say we're all just "shootin the shit" :)
I also reckon we all appreciate a good boat, whether it be a mono or cat :)
Cheers mate,
Ben

Horse
02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Wheres Kerry???

Jarrah Jack
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Poor Kerry....

Snapperscott
04-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks all. There are plenty of cat v mono threads and im sure we dont need another.

So my original question was has anyone in Cairns got a cat?

Grand_Marlin
04-02-2012, 07:09 AM
My brother has a 5m Sharkcat Sportsman in Cairns with twin 60 4 stroke Yammies on it

FisHard
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Hey Scott,
Here's a thought- how about spending a day out on Scott Hilliers 2400 Kevlacat out of Lucinda? I'm sure you could get him to run a trip in the same sort of itinary that you normally would (trolling, bottom bashing etc) to get a feel for how the cat would go.

spelchek
04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Here's a thought- how about spending a day out on Scott Hilliers 2400 Kevlacat out of Lucinda?yeah, but then he'd have to put up with Scott Hillier for a whole day - and no remote control to get rid of him.

STUIE63
04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
be near on cheaper to buy a boat and try he charges like a wounded bull

FisHard
04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
yeah, but then he'd have to put up with Scott Hillier for a whole day - and no remote control to get rid of him.
Harsh, but fair.
"Ah look at the big Kevlacat go! Who woooo, big Scottys driving it niiiice! Go the big maaaan!"
Something like that?

spelchek
04-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Painful just imagining it, FH :)

The Woo
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Aint it grand how even the mere mention of the great superstar himself, Scotty Hillier, "look at him go!", sent everyone underground.

So, OP, been on a good cat yet?

Seahorse
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I thought the title of ANY CAT OWNERS IN CAIRNS was going to be a story about mud crabbing.
Sorry to all cat owners. Really only joking lol

Cheers greg

The Woo
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
They are superb bait though.......

Flex
08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I thought the title of ANY CAT OWNERS IN CAIRNS was going to be a story about mud crabbing.
Sorry to all cat owners. Really only joking lol

Cheers greg

Maybe we should change the topic to " Mother-in-Law in cairns"..... :)

Seahorse
08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Now that's a good one lol

Snapperscott
08-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Hey Scott,
Here's a thought- how about spending a day out on Scott Hilliers 2400 Kevlacat out of Lucinda? I'm sure you could get him to run a trip in the same sort of itinary that you normally would (trolling, bottom bashing etc) to get a feel for how the cat would go.

Funny the same thing crossed my mind. I quite like the 2400 KC.