PDA

View Full Version : Internal Layout for 4.1m Poly (SC, CC or Open)

Splash
31-01-2012, 06:56 PM
OK.

My application will be for NT river system only and no blue water.

Mostly fishing by myself, with a new BF50 Honda 4T.

I have read about the pros and cons of all choices, and still hard to decide.

Let me know your thoughts....and why...

Cameron

TimD
31-01-2012, 07:11 PM
My vote is for "Open Boat"

The consoles take up to much room in the 4.1 and 4.5 :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

Squidlet
31-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Open tiller steer! This set up you wont waste room as stated prev,also wont have to worry as much about weight distribution(side console) Open plenty of room for yourself and gear,esky so on so forth.
Cheers Chris.

Linedropper
31-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Open.

More room and less stuff to go wrong with tiller steer like steering cables, control cables etc.

krazyfisher
31-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I have had all 3 layouts and my thoughts are these
Open pro. More room better steering in tight gullies. Cons. Not nice to drive for long, can't take your hands off the steering

CC pro better vision, more comfort when standing 1 up, you have a balanced boat. Con. You lose space

SC pro comfortable steering position,easy to dock get pots, when moving around the boat you can walk up the center. Con. Wet if spray is getting thrown around and you need to move skies to even load

For me 4- 5mtr i would suit a side console, 4.5 and above center console and anything under 4 tiller. Of course there are gray areas for me where these would cross over.

Splash
31-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Excellent responses guys!

FOr the tiller - is there a preferred side to park your butt when holding the tiller?

The Honda 50, I believe has throttle and steering lock - so that could help with the steering pain one could feel on long trips whilst underway..

SPLash

krazyfisher
31-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Has anyone who is recommending a open boat had a side console? And if yes why would you not get a side console again

Tailortaker
31-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I've just gone from a tiller steer to a side console and will never go back to tiller again !

Linedropper
31-01-2012, 08:28 PM

FOr the tiller - is there a preferred side to park your butt when holding the tiller?

The Honda 50, I believe has throttle and steering lock - so that could help with the steering pain one could feel on long trips whilst underway..

SPLash

I sit on the stbd side and use tiller with the left. Steering pain isnt usually and issue with the steering friction device. 20 miles each way gets a bit sore but.

Splash
31-01-2012, 08:50 PM
THanks boys.

Tailortaker - why did you change to SC from tiller? What size motor do you have and do you take your boat in any chop?

SPlash

Tailortaker
31-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I was sick of hanging on to the tiller, I wanted to be sitting comfortably with a better view. I have a 50hp 2 st and take it across to Moreton Island. It handles chop great and I stay dry. My boat is not a poly but if I was to look at one it would have to be a sc. One of my mates in NT has had 2 poly CC's and now a SC and says it's far better than his CC's and open tiller steer. I realize yours is a 4.1m so room is a factor but if you could ride in someone else's with a SC you would be able to make a decision easier.
Cheers, TT

Splash
31-01-2012, 09:30 PM
THanks TT -great point!

All - What do you think about the side pockets and ski hooks (on transom) Polycraft has to offer - worth getting?

Splash

Splash
31-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I read elsewhere that a downside to tiller control is that you loose some forward visibility and often need to trim the boat with weight to keep the bow down in wind.

With the polycraft being heavier than others in it's size, would this still be an issue - especially with a 50HP honda?

You 4.1m Open boat owners - do you place your fuel tanks up in the front to combat this potential issue?

Splash

Cm821939
31-01-2012, 11:02 PM
I fished out of a 435 tiller around darwin for years. Its my preference, a lot more control in the tight country, espically trolling. Get a lot more room to if you want do over nighters ect.
But saying all that i have never had a console boat, but my shoulders never get sore so i stick with tiller till that time comes.
A boat that size is really would be suited to tiller up there ..
cheers

Axl
01-02-2012, 04:40 AM
My vote is for "Open Boat"

The consoles take up to much room in the 4.1 and 4.5 :thumbsup:

I agree with Tim D an open boat in that size would be the way to go.;D

I read elsewhere that a downside to tiller control is that you loose some forward visibility and often need to trim the boat with weight to keep the bow down in wind.

With the polycraft being heavier than others in it's size, would this still be an issue - especially with a 50HP honda?

You 4.1m Open boat owners - do you place your fuel tanks up in the front to combat this potential issue?

Splash

Back when I had my 4.2m tinny I used to throw an old boxing bag up the front when I was on my own it kept the nose down just right.;)

As for loosing visabilty in a boat of that size youll still be able to see alright the only time you will have trouble is as you punch it to get it up on the plane.:)

Chas & Clarry
01-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Haven't had a polly and haven't been to NT but have had open tinnys (4.2 and 4.3m) in 3 layouts (tiller, forward control and centre consol) and am in the process of buying a new one (4.2) with side console

of the 3 I have already had my preference was without doubt the Centre Console due to comfort, vision and stability one up. However the down side is the relatively minor disruption to ease of movement / loss of useable space around the boat.

I have decided to go the side console in a very stable new boat as I expect more comfort (seat) and less disruption to movement no loss of visibility or stability.

I really disliked the tiller stear due to poor visibility and poor control during excelleration and especially in rough water or crowded conditions when planing was not an option (visibility on the plane was OK of course). Also in tiller stear the decky tended to be used as ballast and sit way up the front with a very rough ride for her...(not good for the marriage if the "decky" was Trace...or her dad for that matter :) )

Tim

Splash
01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks Axl and TIm.

Axl - The boxing bag is a great idea for ballast, but would take up room - hey?

Tim (CHas and Clarry) - I agree with your statement regarding the rough water effect on the tiller operation, but I will only be in rivers and I do not suspect I will be travelling in any rough waters....

Great input all! Keep it coming..

Splash

Sheik
01-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I've owned tillers and sides and it's horses for courses. I bought my tiller from old mate who had a little extension which fitted on to the throttle so I could stand up. IT was great fun using that. I'm sure WHS would ban it if they knew about it, like everything else because you could get into trouble if you hit something but that's why it was fun. THis often meant those longer trips were less likely to lead to aches and pains etc. No question that tiller is better for small creeks and gutters for me; was able to turn around more easily, get pots more easily, lighter so you oculd push off sandbanks etc when stuck. Disads: you need to be careful with trim and tilt, as you can get stuck and it's a real bugger to try to pull it up into shallow drive wih a 20knotter blowing. Imagine a 50 honda will have ett so no problems there.
Does tend to be drier. Side consoles are shockers for getting wet with a cross wind blowing, especially from starboard. THis is a big negative for sc from my perspective along with the fact that you'll lose heaps of space.
Positives of side also include you'll have some cover for your sounder gps, which can be problematic with tiller.
Would imagine a cc would leave very little room along the sides with a 4.1 esp as polycraft have those sloping sides. Might drive you crazy trying to get up the sides to do the anchors.
Tillers would also lend to cast netting more easily. In a 4.1 with a sc or cc yo u would find yourself hitting the bloody console all the time as you cast, especially thorwoing out to the starb side, not straight ahead or port.
Always put the seating on the starboard and drive with your left. make sure you have room to swing the tiller behind you so you can swing right over to steer hard port (going forward).
no real wisdom there, just lots of little things to consider that might help
regards jim

Sheik
01-02-2012, 08:29 AM
BTW, you can buy those tiller extensions for $20 or so from many tackle shops.

moater
01-02-2012, 11:25 AM
For something different what about using the swing away (forget actual name) steering? Can swing it to the side when not travelling - best of both worlds?

lucee81
01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
THanks TT -great point!

All - What do you think about the side pockets and ski hooks (on transom) Polycraft has to offer - worth getting?

Splash

Side pockets are great for storage without using to much space if confined to under gunnals. Ski hooks in NT not so usefull. im not exactly scared of crocs (bred Territory boy) but im still not silly enough to go skiing in the waterways up there. however if you do convince someone to ski dont forget to at least let them hold onto a hook.. May aswell troll at the same time;D;D

Lucas

Splash
01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
lol - thanks Lucas.

I was thinking the ski hooks could be useful for other things like attaching things to (and not ski rope).

I wonder how long a water skier would last up there... ?

Splash

lucee81
01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Would be okay to ski at Manton dam but dont be fooled they have found crocs in there after the wet. The trick is dont be the first tourist to jump in the water. Its a very muddy place compared to southern states that are more sandy so i would be very hesitant in getting carpeted floors up there. the old man had a carpeted floor in his boat and it was a prick to keep clean. i have carpet in brisbane and find no troubles with it.

Lucas

Splash
01-02-2012, 01:05 PM
THanks Lucas.

What floor material woudl you then recommend in lieu of carpet?

Splash

lucee81
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Good question and 1 probably better answered by someone with more knowledge than me. any info i give you about floors etc is not tried and tested info and i would not want to put you onto the wrong info. however dont the poly's have a plastic floor?

Charlie
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM

SPLash

Ninety percent of the time I use my ice box a seat so you can swap sides, even moving your body weight that few feet forward makes a bit of a difference how quick the nose comes down starting off if you don't have a foil.

TimD
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
You can pull the carpet out in 4.1 poly's in around 30 seconds which makes cleaning it a piece of piss :thumbsup:

I had rubber backed marine carpet which was fitted by Polycraft ;)

lucee81
01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
You can pull the carpet out in 4.1 poly's in around 30 seconds which makes cleaning it a piece of piss :thumbsup:

I had rubber backed marine carpet which was fitted by Polycraft ;)

thanks for that info Tim i have never owned nor been in a poly so i could not give accurate information...i have however lived in the territory and would never own a carpet boat up there no matter how easily removed this being due to the black mud you find around mangroves.
all IMO of course

Lucas

TimD
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
This gear might be a better idea, drop Captain Seaweed a PM i think he has it fitted in the "White Rhino"

http://www.regupol.com.au/au/products/sports-leisure/marine-applications/overview-marine-applications.php