PDA

View Full Version : What am i doing wrong...cast net

gruntahunta
31-01-2012, 06:16 PM

I seem to be getting this result.... the right hand throw is fine but the left hand release which obviously is closer to me is not quite doing what it is supposed to.

1/ Am i not throwing it far enough away from me.
2/ throwing too far/close
3/ releasing left hand part of net too soon/late
4/throwing too low/high

Net is 10 footer and from where I am throwing it is about 5 metres to the fartherest edge of net. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have watched all the net throw2ing videos and used to throw a little 6 footer with no probs but need a bit of help with this. I have only thrown a few times with this size net so imagine I will get the hang of it but the quicker the better.

Cheers Pete

tunaticer
31-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Your left hand is not helping with the rotation as you throw, the right hand is working well but the left hand is a tad lazy.

You could also try gathering a little less net in your left hand, presuming you are not throwing from the shoulder or elbow.

Is it a chain net or a lead sinker line?

wayno60
31-01-2012, 06:30 PM
just have to get that swirl action happening more and one thing ive noticed that if i try to hard, say from on the bank to get some distance it wont open as well .

gruntahunta
31-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Your left hand is not helping with the rotation as you throw, the right hand is working well but the left hand is a tad lazy.

You could also try gathering a little less net in your left hand, presuming you are not throwing from the shoulder or elbow.

Is it a chain net or a lead sinker line?

Tunaticer, its just a lead sinker line mate

netmaker
31-01-2012, 07:43 PM
pete, i dont know which method you use. i use hands only and have a third weight in each hand and a third in the skirt. it is the job of the right hand to spin out the net and drag along the skirt and a goodly amount of whats in the left. if you are casting forehand i would suggest that your right hand needs a little more oomph employed to tighten up your lead line. also suggest segmenting your net with different coloured markers (insulation tape on the lead line) so you can see what ends up where a little easier.
cheers
davo

rando
01-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Rotation....... everything should be moving in an arc

chaspion01
01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
I agree with Wayno, the more you "try" the less effective the opening. Relax and develop an effortless swing with a good arc, it will come.

Lucky_Phill
01-02-2012, 08:30 AM
45 degrees. throwing at that angle on the larger nets made all the difference to me.

I use " hands only " method.

I know you've stated you've watched all, but have you watched the Ausfish video available under " Hints & Tips " at the top of all forum pages

cheers phill

timddo
01-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't release the lead line till 98% of the net hits the water.

Coodgee
01-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about that effort. You'll catch plenty of bait in that spread.

timddo
01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about that effort. You'll catch plenty of bait in that spread.

Thats a good throw compared to what i have seen. Some people's nets only open as big as a normal household fridge and wonder why they aren't catching any???

I usually make great throws when i pull up donuts and shit throws when i'm on a school of prawns.

fat-buoy
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Probs just need that little bit more height and have a touch more swing length in the leads.. Looks to me like the spread is good but the net is rotating not quite enough to pull the inner leads out thus leaving the blob behind.. It is trial and error as everyone throws that little different. when you get your throwing process down pat you will be able to dictate the amount of spread and also the distance you want to throw etc.. the further it goes generally the less spread you will end up with as you are sacraficing the rotation of the net for the outward thrust.

Best of luck with it.

Scalem
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Pete, any time you are around my neck of the woods bring your net. I don't throw of the shoulder, I have a couple of ideas that might be the problem, but can't tell until I watch you throw it.
Could be how you are gathering up the net and how much of the net you are choking up in one hand. It could be where you are standing in relation to your targeted landing area. I almost have my back totally turned away from the intended area, winding up like a discuss thrower. I started with little 6ft nets too, and as you get bigger and heavier nets, all these things become more important.

Any time mate, just call.

Scalem

MudRiverDan
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Looks ok to me, got a decent spread not 100% but yeah.

I have seen guys do the over the shoulder cast with 100% with little effort.

Though just for bait, keep it out of snaggs and it will do the trick.

Ausfish
05-02-2012, 06:12 AM
This might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11N4hMaQmQ

MudRiverDan
05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
After watching the video you are probably not gathering up enough net to take up the loose slack, if you leave too much hanging, that part will not open fully.
It a good video this one.

sunnycoastfisho
09-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I rotate the net more in close and less for a long throw