PDA

View Full Version : Australia's worst /notoriuous concrete ramps. Got a pic/video ?

deckie
29-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Been asked about the notorious Long Reef ramp and thought i'd ask about everyone's local or bad ramps they've used...or bad experiences. This one cant be anywhere near the worst in the country so i'd love to see some pics if you have any.

Like many its got a bad rep for good reason, this little bay started life as a place for shipping cattle late in the 1700's, and unfortunately things havent progressed much since i reckon ;D.
Its a spot where u can expect 100 eyes on you on a Sunday, and definitely a spot to watch and learn many times before attempting. Every fisho in Sydney would love a great ramp built here (complete with a small breakwall 8-)), coz its direct access to some of the best offshore fishing and diving in Sydney, but reality is there's little chance of it happening for various reasons...the golf club (foooooouurrrrrrrrr !!! DUCK !), clubhouse, lack of parking, headland is protected national park, land prices aint cheap as u can imagine, v popular with walkers, local residents dont want it, everything is in the too hard basket. Besides...the second there was a good easy ramp the place would become like Pitt St in peak hour.

Not unusual as far as beach launch/retrieves go, but its got a concrete ramp that kind of lulls the unsuspecting/inexperienced into having a crack the way u would any other. The surge can be wicked bad and looks like nothing to the eye. Contrary to what many say its not just for tinnies, saw a 565f go in no probs not long ago and its the home of maybe my favorite all round trailerboat..a 5m Sea Devil. The ramp really isnt too bad if you know what you';re doing and have the right setup, but u can still come off bad even then, and hardly a season goes by without at least one photo in the local rag of a rooftop submerged here...you'd be just a statistic. MUST do your research and i can give the heads up on this little beauty if anyone wants it.

There must be far worse concrete ramps with worse reputations tho...got a pic ?

Found this vid of a typical trip back to the ramp (No its not me). Plus a pic or two i took of the ramp and area at daybreak, looking all sweet and innocent.

mnUl6lwiGzM

GBC
29-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Dept of trans is going to want us to have bloody seat belts and air bags now!!:P

Cool Vid, where's all the 'glass boats are weak' comments?

I was going to say the south ramp at River Heads (Hervey Bay) simply for the number of geese who've lost cars and trailers off it. It was upgraded in the early 80's but before then only tourists used it.

Yellowjack
29-01-2012, 09:11 PM
The video looks like a scene from a James bond film!

NAGG
29-01-2012, 09:21 PM
launched there once in South easterly .......... sweet as
Came back in the afternoon in a screaming north easterly ......... a 5.35 M boat with 1M of swell is not easy to get back on a trailer - I had waves breaking on the back of the car ( thankfully a company one).
did the same at so called Terrigal Haven !

Regardless it's a &u@K up .........:-[

Then again .... I've seen 2 cars end up in the water with their boats trying to launch at low tide at Rose Bay (Sydney) ......... slippery as ( just slime) - both were utes ........ one a very flash one playing doof doof as it happened

Chris

deckie
29-01-2012, 10:01 PM
lol chris, i can imagine the scene trying to hold onto it in the break. Your brakes couldnt have been much chop 6 mths later either. Longy is a ramp many only ever go to once. Gelcoat is just something other people have over their glass. That noreaster comes up like clockwork in summer and no shock a lot of guys make sure they're in by about 10ish. All innocent when the sun comes up but the crowd gathers on Sat/Sun about 10...50 guys in pink ralph lauren polo's with their botox princesses in tow, all eager to see someone screw up i reckon ;D. Then if there's a wedding on, add another 100 more in the clubhouse all watching with a beer in hand. No way u can launch after 9 coz nowhere to park anyway..

Havent launched at Terrigal or Rose bay..heard Terrigal has its moments and Rose bay must be a wrestle on a weekend.

NAGG
29-01-2012, 10:43 PM
lol chris, i can imagine the scene trying to hold onto it in the break. Your brakes couldnt have been much chop 6 mths later either. Longy is a ramp many only ever go to once. Gelcoat is just something other people have over their glass. That noreaster comes up like clockwork in summer and no shock a lot of guys make sure they're in by about 10ish. All innocent when the sun comes up but the crowd gathers on Sat/Sun about 10...50 guys in pink ralph lauren polo's with their botox princesses in tow, all eager to see someone screw up i reckon ;D. Then if there's a wedding on, add another 100 more in the clubhouse all watching with a beer in hand. No way u can launch after 9 coz nowhere to park anyway..

Havent launched at Terrigal or Rose bay..heard Terrigal has its moments and Rose bay must be a wrestle on a weekend.

I can tell you now ...... It was a one only - forget winching ........ picked the wave - drove it on - run up the front & put the safety catch on and pulled it out ...................... far out - never again ..... a once only
same went for Terrible !

2 ramps that I only used once over about a 7 year period - but it is a shame about long reef as it does access some awesome ground well within the hour run from sydney or pittwater - ------ a ramp with breakwater would be the ducks nuts - a bit like Bellambi would be sweet

Rose bay was a shock ...... busy as ( Sydney Harbour ) ,,,,,, very affluent area - but at low tide a monster in the waiting

Chris

PS - love long Reef golf club -

MackerelMan
30-01-2012, 03:09 AM
I have not used it but the ramp at Palm Cove, next to the jetty is scary. The ramp is probably ok but it is so exposed. Seen a couple of boats get into all sorts of grief trying to retrieve. I do not have a pic but somebody else on here might.

wirlybird
30-01-2012, 05:07 AM
i second that mackerel man its a shite design facing ssw into the open ocean

TREVELLY
30-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Terrigal is a doddle compared to Norah Head boat ramp - hard not to damage a boat there. Both do face NNE though.

Terrigal does look like a good ramp and does attract a lot more inexperinced offshore fisherfolk so is better value for watching on a weekend.

I have spent decades using both ramps and even did a scuba course at Terrigal - real popular these days that place.

Sorry no camera but lots of vivid memories of spectacular car and boat launches along with boat falling off the trailer as it was being reversed at speed - that rig was a 22' Haines glass boat with a little chap onboard dressed up like the captain of the titanic and a mo mackerelman would be proud of along with beer in left hand he disappeared rapidly when the boat came to a sudden stop when it hit the ramp - wished I'd had a camera.

Funny ones too are getting to the bottom of the ramp into the slime hitting the brakes after reversing at speed then continuing on with the whole set up into the drink - sometimes a result of not diconnecting the boat.

Others waiting to use the ramp aren't so easy on the fools.

Both ramps are tricky as they are not only subject to wind chop but also swell surge. A lot of 2WD cars don't get the boats out either from slime or at Norah Head once the trailer sinks into the sand washing across the bottom of the ramp.

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2012, 08:29 AM
The ramp at St. Helens on the East Coast of Tassie was sometimes fun...

deckie
30-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Terrigal is a doddle compared to Norah Head boat ramp - hard not to damage a boat there. Both do face NNE though.

Looked it up on the net and found this ;D.
The worst ramps are so often in the best fishing areas.
Vp0kah4_m6w

deckie
30-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Great pic that one GM. Looks skinny, busy and must have some serious surge. Fishing/Tourism is the lifeblood of that town..do u know if they've improved that one ?

Giveitacrack
30-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I remember going past Peterborough boat ramp on the Great Ocean Rd in Victoria and thought that looks like fun.Anyone else have any pics.Google earth link attached..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=port%20fairy%20boat%20ramp&gs_sm=si&gs_upl=1188l7296l0l9421l20l20l0l6l6l0l234l1875l0.2 .7l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1225&bih=575&wrapid=tlif132788014405811&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=port%20fairy%20boat%20ramp&gs_sm=si&gs_upl=1188l7296l0l9421l20l20l0l6l6l0l234l1875l0.2 .7l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1225&bih=575&wrapid=tlif132788014405811&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Pazz01
30-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Mackerman

You'd have to be mad to use that ramp at Palm cove. Biggest waste of money and time. It is dangerous in anything over 0-5knots from any direction.

It's bloody steep and bloody shallow too on a low tide.

Pazz

Jarrah Jack
30-01-2012, 11:32 AM
The Long Reef ramp reminds me of the new ramp at Channel Point near the mouth of the Daly. Very exposed and no where to hide when the wind gets up, then you look around and there's a big croc watching just so you don't #@@# up. Funny how my mate always gets me to drive his boat on, reckons the truck hasn't got a hand brake.

Spaniard_King
30-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I used that longreef ramp back in 1984-5 wish I have seen the video tip on how to use it... gave me my fair share of greif too.

MackerelMan
30-01-2012, 01:59 PM
You'd have to be mad to use that ramp at Palm cove. Biggest waste of money and time. It is dangerous in anything over 0-5knots from any direction.

It's bloody steep and bloody shallow too on a low tide.

Pazz[/QUOTE]

I agree Pazz, its a shocker. Its amazing that people use it. Seen some scary things on that ramp.

Greg P
30-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I think I know the one you mean

I remember going past Peterborough boat ramp on the Great Ocean Rd in Victoria and thought that looks like fun.Anyone else have any pics.Google earth link attached..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=port%20fairy%20boat%20ramp&gs_sm=si&gs_upl=1188l7296l0l9421l20l20l0l6l6l0l234l1875l0.2 .7l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1225&bih=575&wrapid=tlif132788014405811&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=port%20fairy%20boat%20ramp&gs_sm=si&gs_upl=1188l7296l0l9421l20l20l0l6l6l0l234l1875l0.2 .7l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1225&bih=575&wrapid=tlif132788014405811&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Great pic that one GM. Looks skinny, busy and must have some serious surge. Fishing/Tourism is the lifeblood of that town..do u know if they've improved that one ?

Yes it was done a number of years ago and it is now heaps better to use.
There was a rock wall built out further, an additional 2 lane ramp installed and a small walkway / boarding platform built ... the original ramp is still there as well.

I saw a boat get washed straight over the trailer and over the top of a bloke there one day ... no damage and no injuries though!

This is where a good trailer was a must (we preferred teflon slides and guide bars)
Most days were good but when you had any swell and a NE wind it was hairy.

Giveitacrack
30-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I think I know the one you mean

76537 yep that's it Greg.

centrefire
31-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm considering wetting a line along the False Cape ( Second Beach) on Saturday. Leaving from the Barron mouth in the morning, just short of high tide. Question is... I noticed half a dozen rocks portruding in the vicinity of the Second Beach boat ramp when parked there last week.
Is there anything else a novice tinny owner should be aware of along that coast?!
Cheers.

mal555
31-01-2012, 07:28 PM

that's an old photo GM.......looks like a 20' Carribean Commodore about to come onto the trailer?

The St. Helen's ramp/s have improved a lot these days, but still effected by that big easterly roll.

That barway in the background is quite notorious....feared by most cruising yachties, and claimed many boats!