PDA

View Full Version : Cover holes in dash

Angryant
29-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I am going to remove some electronics which have been flush fitted in the helm. Obviously, I will be left with some holes after removing them. What material do you suggest I put over the holes to cover them?
The helm is fibreglass.

The-easyrider
29-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I had to do the same thing last year when I added a new sounder into the dash and had to rearange some gauges to make it all fit, My mate made me up a black and blue carbon fibre panel that went over the dash and I was able to redo the lay out and it looks very trick.

tunaticer
29-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Is it feasible to glass them over and gelcoat it again?

I have seen several stainless and alloy cover plates made up, but they always look like a patch up job. Maybe look at a larger full dash cover in alloy and mount it and all your gear, then remove it and get it polished and double anodised a suitable colour? Saw white guages mounted on a black dash recently, was very smart indeed.

oldie
29-01-2012, 06:03 PM
i second the carbon fibre style it fits in with new style boats dash set up, save re fibre glassing and gel coast but is an option if you want it but time in sanding it nice and clean at the end

Angryant
29-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I had to do the same thing last year when I added a new sounder into the dash and had to rearange some gauges to make it all fit, My mate made me up a black and blue carbon fibre panel that went over the dash and I was able to redo the lay out and it looks very trick.

Was it a carbon fibre plate or a carbon fibre sticker on ply or something similar? Have you got a pic - very interested to see your setup.
Angry

deckie
29-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Another alternative can be some acrylic from the local plastics guy. Make sure its opaque though and seal well then bolt. Also check its UV tolerant but pretty sure acrylic/perspex is anyway. The stuff is easy to work with average joe's tool box. Can get in any colour, test in sun to make sure the holes dont show thru. Most i;ve seen are dark colours but u could leave a backing on to make sure. Could prob use screws with the sealant, coz dashes are usually thick anyway but wouldnt overtighten. Just spend the time getting nice edges and exact shape.
Without knowing the layout some rigs have a piece on hinges so u can open and get at wiring easy, but once again need a good seal coz u dont want moisture getting in behind there. Not too thin coz u need to support and have bite to fasten the gauges/elctronics.
Steve

outta line
30-01-2012, 06:50 AM
7652876527here is the acrylic option that i did in my boat. 6mm in white for $13 but as said can get it in any colour and thickness and could put the carbon fibre sticker over the acrylic if you wanted that look (dont think that C F sticker is that cheep but ) the simrad is the new dash layout with new bep switches beside the steering wheel......

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Here are two methods I use.
1st is the carbon fibre coating. This coating can be applied over any material. Note that it is the proper coating, not the stickers ... the stickers are a waste of time on the dash of a boat as they usually fade and peel very quickly.
The carbon fibre coated panel will cost $400 - $600 depending on size.

2nd is the aerated / foamed pvc panel. This will cost around $30 - $50, is excellent for UV, easy to work with and very strong.
There is also a material called King Starboard - very similar material but a lot more expensive.

With putting the panel down, rough up the back and use just Sikaflex to hold it ... no need for bolts or screws. I think it looks a lot neater without them.

You can re-glass the dash but it is very labour intensive and it is going to cost a lot more $$$

The stainless and alloy dash plates look good in commercial applications, but I personally don't like them for recreational boats.

Cheers

Pete

The-easyrider
30-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Was it a carbon fibre plate or a carbon fibre sticker on ply or something similar? Have you got a pic - very interested to see your setup.
Angry

Hi Angry, can I call you angry lol it is a full piece of carbon that was layed up and it cost me nothing as it was a bit left over from some work on a V8 super car or something like that, I will post a pic tonight.

Angryant
30-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi Angry, can I call you angry lol it is a full piece of carbon that was layed up and it cost me nothing as it was a bit left over from some work on a V8 super car or something like that, I will post a pic tonight.

Mate, you have a PM.

Angryant
30-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Here are two methods I use.
1st is the carbon fibre coating. This coating can be applied over any material. Note that it is the proper coating, not the stickers ... the stickers are a waste of time on the dash of a boat as they usually fade and peel very quickly.
The carbon fibre coated panel will cost $400 - $600 depending on size.

2nd is the aerated / foamed pvc panel. This will cost around $30 - $50, is excellent for UV, easy to work with and very strong.
There is also a material called King Starboard - very similar material but a lot more expensive.

With putting the panel down, rough up the back and use just Sikaflex to hold it ... no need for bolts or screws. I think it looks a lot neater without them.

You can re-glass the dash but it is very labour intensive and it is going to cost a lot more $$$

The stainless and alloy dash plates look good in commercial applications, but I personally don't like them for recreational boats.

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your informative response (as usual). I assume thie foamed PVC is avalable locally and it comes in various thicknesses?
Cheers
Andrew

The-easyrider
31-01-2012, 06:01 AM
76547Here is a couple of pics of the carbon plate before and after, the finish to the edge could have had a bit more love spent on it but who am I to complain when I got it for nothing. 76546

Grand_Marlin
31-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Yes Andrew,
Most plastics shops will have it.
I use 6 or 10mm depending on the job, but usually 6mm

Cheers

Pete

Angryant
31-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the responses; much appreciated. I'll have a good look at these products and see what my creative juices can come up with.
Andrew