PDA

View Full Version : any tips for spaniards from the ski?

pipifin
28-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure if all this wet has gone to my head, but a mate has been saying for a while that we should target some mackeral from his jetski. Over a few beers last night, action plans were starting to be put into place. I thought I'd put a shout out for some hints and tips. Just as much a "what not to do" as a "what to do".
What are the best trolling speeds? lures?
His ski is a new Yammy with some set up like cruise control which sounds the goods.
He'll be skippering and I'll be sitting on the back waiting for big bertha to hit.
He was heading in today to try and get a rack/rodholder combo.
If we do manage to land one (big if), what is the best way to handle it at the ski? as in gaf? net? bleeding? and storage? (it will be destined for the table). We figure if we get a decent one then it will be a quick trip back to shore.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
The more we can learn while it's wet, the more prepared we will be.

Cheers

Seahorse
28-01-2012, 07:16 PM
I am in same vote. Got a mate wanting to do the same. We both got yammys with fish racks.
We both got on of those soft fish bags that will lay under ur feet. They are 1200 long, fill with ice.
Once hooked I don't know. Prob gaff, then belt the shit out of it. Then bleed it and throw in bag.
First one will be very interesting.
Where will u be leaving from.
I am waiting for a good day to heed out around sand hills or 4 beacons.

Cheers
Greg

clevelandv8
28-01-2012, 10:32 PM
id carefully gaff, then have a brain spike

Seahorse
29-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Good thinking

pipifin
30-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Thought of the iki/brain spike, but mac's do tend to not like being caught, and historically (on a boat) I have taken SH's "belt the shit out of it" approach as the brain is close to the teeth LOL. Oh well.... one way to find out I guess.
Thanks guys, and will report back if/when mission is accomplished.

pipifin
30-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Oh and Seahorse, will be leaving from either Maroochy, Mooloolaba, or Caloundra, depending on conditions. I like the idea of Caloundra (home) and following the close reefs up to Old Woman Island.

Coodgee
30-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Then bleed it and throw in bag.

I imagine you'd want to move spots pretty quick after bleeding it eh?

Seahorse
30-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Coodgee
That could be a good idea. Lol

pipifin
31-01-2012, 09:14 AM
HAHA... yeah that was one of my first concerns too.
I dont think I'm ready to catch Jaws from the ski.

Runlikehell
31-01-2012, 02:21 PM
what I'm doing is getting one of those long eskies and targetting wahoo and mahi mahi. When I catch one of the blighters I'll have the lid open and dump it in there and slam the lid quick til it settles. Hoping it'll be easy thereafter to sort the rest out??@#%#@??

keith c
31-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Guys,
Haven't caught any this season yet but off Goldie last season i was getting them on xraps 30+.
As soon as i hook up i turn the ski off [ you don't want anything sucked in ],
When it's close enough i gaff it and smack it on the head then put it head first into the eski,half in half out.
I've got a fishing rack on the back with an eski,
CHEERS
KEITH

Seahorse
31-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I got one of those soft fish bags. 120 long and sits in foot wells of ski. Fill with ice.