PDA

View Full Version : Carby

dadstinny
27-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi there, the linkages between my two carbies on an older model suzuki DT60 have died a horrible death and need replacing.

Is it possible to replace the linkages or does the carby need to go?

Looking in the parts book there is nothing listed for the linkages at all just the nuts that do them together. :-?

softplasticsdude79
27-01-2012, 05:17 PM
if it linkages only ring yatala outboard wreckers or e bay,is there any way you could make new linkages,hard to imagine them wearing out though !

dadstinny
27-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Last person to adjust them did them so tight that they just snapped.

Its only the one on the right....

Not sure how to get it out though? Its not a circlip it looks pressed onto the back of the linkage.

cgibbo308
27-01-2012, 11:39 PM
i think they are the same as some in my car. it either just pushes into a plastic insert that is in the arm, and the plastic closes around the arm. you should be able to get some aloy or standard steel and bend to shape and run the right thread down it.

dadstinny
28-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Yer its like a car, looks like a circlip but its a round washer so it seems like its pressed on. Doesn't seem to be a way to pop them of or similar though.

Its for the choke actuator, do the flaps on the carby close at idle / running or do they only close when choking?

Fed
28-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Only closed when you're choking it.
What's wrong with the linkage?

dadstinny
28-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey Fed, I can't win with this thing.... :D

They where not closing when choking all the way and it was starting hard when cold after the last issue.

As soon as I went to adjust them the rod snapped top and bottom.

I have the nut that connected the two rods but it has a piece of the rod in either end of it.

Was going to go fishing today but put it off until I can sort this, was hoping to zip tie them wide open until I can find the parts as its not going to be easy to find them but was hesitant in doing so. This would leave the carby open to breath and I can get back out there.

I also tried to remove the two rods (top and bottom) from the carby but the back piece that holds it on which is like a circlip but it seems pressed on so I am thinking the only way I can get them of is by using a dremel to cut the piece holding it on.

Fed
28-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I think what you've got is those little spring loaded grippy washer things and I'm sure someone here will know what they're called.
You see domed ones on kids toys like little ride on cars etc, the yanks even use them on trailer roller axles.
They are sort of a one use thing but if you pries carefully you can usually get a few uses out of them. I guess you'd probably be able to buy them from an engineering supply type place.

I'd think part#14 on your picture should be permanently fixed to the rod below it and adjustment carried out by removing the top rod from the linkage, loosening the locknut then turning the top rod.

None of this helps you one bit as both rods are broken.
If you can't find replacement parts I'd grab a bit of straight rod, put a bit of an S in it like your part #20 looks then put some right angle bends on the end and make adjustments by bending the S.
Probably be better off drilling tiny holes in the ends to fit little split pins as well.

All very fiddly I know but there you have it.

Another option may be to try both outboard & car wreckers with all the little bits in your hand and find something you can adapt to do the job.

Swanie1975
28-01-2012, 10:04 AM
like Fed suggested you can adapt something to suit. any wrecker should be able to give you a length of rod from an old door lock assembly as they will be about the right diameter, can be bent to almost any shape and are still strong enough yet you will still be able to drill a small hole and split pin each end. prob easier to do it yourself than spend time trying to hunt out the correct parts from an outboard wrecker

good luck with it

cheers ryan:)

dadstinny
28-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Cheers guys, I have a complete camry out the front I can strip for parts...

The door lock rod sounds like a good idea I am going to go out and cut the old rod out and strip the car for parts. :)

dadstinny
28-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Bit of MacGyver action today, was really hanging out to get out fishing this morning at 4am but with these issues postponed the trip.

At about 1 pm got really annoyed as I didn't get to go for a fish so got of my but and ended up fixing the linkage with a dam coat hanger by making a new rod.

Works like a charm and even seems better than stock as it can not go out of adjustment. Will get a rod out of the camry and do it properly but for now I can fish and later I can tinker. Have a spare coat hanger in the boat just in case :).

Made it to Botany bay by 2pm and fished all afternoon just got home, brought home a nice flathead for fish curry and will be back out tomorrow at 4 am coathanger and weather permitting :)!!!

tassjo
28-01-2012, 07:34 PM
if u go to a place like roket industries or a robbos store( harp st belmore) they sell linkages of differant lenght, ball end each end with rod in middle fully adjustable.u will have to re drill so u can bolt the ball end into the buttfly linkage

Swanie1975
28-01-2012, 08:19 PM
loving it!!! i always knew the trusty coathanger was good for so much more than just keeping my clothes off the floor!!! ive used one as a car aerial but thats great you got a flattie for tea.

cheers ryan