PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Journal - Crab thieves

pipifin
27-01-2012, 08:55 AM
In this morning's journal:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/sunshine-coast/the-crime-going-unreported/story-fn8m0yxo-1226254254063

thoughts? I know there are many...

Three of us hi the passage last Saturday armed with 11 pots. We worked them for about 4 hours for 15 crabs... only one legal buck.... Plenty of mig mumma's were put back in the water, had a nice, yet unproductive day.

Pretty sure our pots weren't touched as we were checking every hour or so.... but It's sad that every boat we saw checking pots, you are naturally wary of (they probably were wary of us too). You hear of it happening so much, that now it is natural to be distrusting of other peeps.

BillyT2382
27-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Yea thats pretty bad mate, what can you do when ya catch one of these guys?, So i suppose ya have to sit there and watch your pots and fish around that spot...
I know when i do get some pots and go crabbing in the near future hopefully soon i will probably go through the same as everyone which sucks....
BUT!!! if i catch the #$%&#rs they sure wont be going to any police station, but to the emergency room!!!

Luc
27-01-2012, 12:41 PM
The reason most people don't report it is because it's pointless.

FQ never seems to have officers in the area and how are the coppers going to nab the offenders if they can't get on the water.

astro66
27-01-2012, 02:49 PM
yep two young guy who go down to the bradman av ramp and put there black tinny in a 1:30am...no lights...you have been seen lifting and stealing pots and it has been reported...
I doubt there rego number on the boat is a real one...havnt heard back yet from the police but i will be having a nice chat next time i see them out..
Its a sad day when you have to put your pots in sight and have to baby sit them ....

PinHead
27-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Yea thats pretty bad mate, what can you do when ya catch one of these guys?, So i suppose ya have to sit there and watch your pots and fish around that spot...
I know when i do get some pots and go crabbing in the near future hopefully soon i will probably go through the same as everyone which sucks....
BUT!!! if i catch the #$%&#rs they sure wont be going to any police station, but to the emergency room!!!

then you end up on an assault charge..or they are a better fighter than you. Definitely notthe best option to take.

BillyT2382
27-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I know what your saying pin...So do we just let them take our pots or our catch? If we see them...cut the bouyes of other fisho's pots do we to turn a blind eye?

Trust me its sad to see such ppl out there that just don't care about the average fisho...truly sad

PinHead
27-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I agree Billy..but until the authorities take it seriously , then not much we can do unfortunately.

Beating the hell out of someone that deserves it and getting yourself in the courts is not the best option.