PDA

View Full Version : Whats the impact of all this fresh?

Funchy
25-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi Ausfisher's

I wasn't around the traps last year with he floods so I don't know the impact of all this rain we are having on the sunny coast. Can you fellas with experience give me a heads up on what the impact to the pummy passage is with fresh running through? I went down to Bells creek channel to fish at 4 am this morning with low expected to be 5am and it looked like high tide. That must be a lot of fresh!!!! So, should I give up and stay in bed and if so how long after the rain stops till it is worthwhile? Should I give it a go? Any tips on what bodies of water I should try? (i.e. get out of the passage into surf / open water?)

I want to go fishing but want a decent chance of catching one.

Any help greatly appreciated.;)

chop
25-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey Funchy,
I was hoping you would have got some replies on this topic as I am also interested to find out the outcome of this sort of weather on the fishing. I know with some of the places I would go to fish locally around Brisbane I have been told there was a lot of strange debris floating around (from non fishers)which is obviously discouraging due to snags.But how this amount of fresh water dumped into the salt and how this affects the fish I would like to know more about as well. I was even looking at bass fishing before I went to work this morning and I have never been interested in fresh water fishing, but I may give it a go sometime as the bass sound like fun.

Chas & Clarry
25-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Sorry FUnchy I cannot help however I think that you should keep getting up at 3.30am in the interests of science and post your results on this site in the interests of your fellow anglers :D

softplasticsdude79
25-01-2012, 08:25 PM
from results last year,i wont be fishing for 3-4 weeks.

chop
25-01-2012, 09:01 PM
from results last year,i wont be fishing for 3-4 weeks.

More fish for me then :P

Funchy
25-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I was hoping Tunaticer might respond. He seems to be a walking encyclopedia on all things fishing
;D

astro66
26-01-2012, 07:49 AM
hey mate ..http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/01/26/sewage-flows-again-floods-rain/ ....maroochy river was quiet as for a good month after last years floods...even the rain we had 5 weeks or so ago queitened it donwn alot...heard there were a heap of big logs in the maroochy as well and to be really carefull if i went out...

Shawn 66
26-01-2012, 08:37 AM
At least the Pine might cop a rest from the hammering it has received in the last month .
Shawn
PS. Funchy , I agree with Tim . You should get up at three am , and tell us how you went.

Freeeedom
26-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I was out fishing the Pine in the middle of the downpour on Tuesday (believe it or not). I managed to get under the bridges still dry at about 6.00 a.m. but there was no way I was getting home again still dry. There were still some bream around then (plus a small jew, a grunter and a few catfish), and if last year is any guide the bream fishing won't be affected by the fresh much at all. I've often caught bream in the pure fresh water above Young's Crossing when chasing mullet. Some of the other estuarine species (including the prawns) are likely to be pushed down the rivers for a few days but it doesn't take long for the salt to start pushing back up the smaller rivers when the rain stops, although the water will be a bit muddy for a while. I might have a couple of sessions chasing lizards round the creek and river mouths next week and the fresh should also improve the mud crabbing by next week
Cheers Freeeedom

Pero
27-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I was out fishing the Pine in the middle of the downpour on Tuesday (believe it or not). I managed to get under the bridges still dry at about 6.00 a.m. but there was no way I was getting home again still dry. There were still some bream around then (plus a small jew, a grunter and a few catfish), and if last year is any guide the bream fishing won't be affected by the fresh much at all. I've often caught bream in the pure fresh water above Young's Crossing when chasing mullet. Some of the other estuarine species (including the prawns) are likely to be pushed down the rivers for a few days but it doesn't take long for the salt to start pushing back up the smaller rivers when the rain stops, although the water will be a bit muddy for a while. I might have a couple of sessions chasing lizards round the creek and river mouths next week and the fresh should also improve the mud crabbing by next week
Cheers Freeeedom

Got to agree with Freeeedom. Another week or so and the prawnies will be back. And she'll be on for young and old. But not toooo much rain, Aye, Freeeedom?

chop
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Had a flick around the bottom turn of the tide from the land based spot at the mouth of the pine and even the toad fish weren't interested. The usual number of crab pots were out and after a solo bloke dropped his pots he started to fish bait close to the bank for what looked like small bream and whiting maybe. I can't see to well in the distance but definitely no keepers. The Tide running back in started to bring allot of plants and sticks and rubbish with it. I might try the sunken wall at dawn. What is the water like around there in the river?

nigelr
04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
To quote Danny DeVito - "Forget about it".
The upcoming spring tides should help clear things up a little, barring more @#$%ing RAIN!
Did I tell you I hate rain?
And yep, when it clears just right, it should be 'on for young and old'!
Just a little too much mud in the mix atm.