PDA

View Full Version : Dredging of Moreton Bay marine Park.

Lucky_Phill
25-01-2012, 08:59 AM
The Chief Executive of the Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) has commissioned the QGCPO to establish a Standing Offer Arrangement for the allocation of quarry material in tidal water at the Spitfire Channel resource area in Moreton Bay, under the Coastal Protection and Management Act 1995.
This Invitation to Offer (ITO) invites Offerors to submit Offers for a chosen quantity of quarry material (sand) per year for a period of six years from the Spitfire Channel Resource Area of Moreton Bay. Upon assessment of these Offers a Standing Offer Arrangement will be established with Successful Offeror/s for an agreed quantity of sand and an Allocation Notice will be issued. The Arrangement with the Successful Offeror/s (and Allocation Notice issued) will be for a period of six years commencing 1 July 2012

Enquiries
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/image009.png@01CCDB38.50BEE100
Paul Thomasson
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/image010.png@01CCDB38.50BEE100
Paul.Thomasson@qgcpo.qld.gov.au (Paul.Thomasson@qgcpo.qld.gov.au)

Greg P
25-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Jesus wept - Is that for real??

Lucky_Phill
25-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Yes Greg, it's been on the cards for a while now...

50 million cubic mtrs of sand being dredged from a Marine Park >??? WTF ? and 10 % of the substrate is covered by Sea Grass.... you know the stuff that Dugongs need to survive on... just to fill up the landfill area for the new airport extention.

NOW............ for those that want to know a FACT.

This landfill could have been brought from the mainland via trucks, but........ wait for it............. it would have caused contraversy as residents along the route would complain of dust and noise. So, in essense......... &%$K the Marine Park, &%#K the Dugongs.

Further......... seems we are digging a few tunnels about the place, and where is that fill going ?

LP

Maybe this one should be up for grabs in consideration of the State Election just being called. ??????????????????

The Woo
25-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Too right it should be!

Black_Rat
25-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd imagine if this sand extraction took place on North Straddie there would be an outcry ::)

But I guess it's out of sight out of mind if it's dredged out of a Marine Park >:(

lampuki
25-01-2012, 12:58 PM
haha, that made me laugh black rat....its a valid point.

Chris Ryan
25-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I remember debating Simon Baltis on the MBMP issue on Nova Breakfast show a few years ago. If I recall correctly when Michelle Lawrie asked Baltis outright based upon my statement that this was happening and seagrass in this area was to be damaged, he said that statement was incorrect.

Interesting not to hear any noise on this issue still!

tunaticer
25-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Further......... seems we are digging a few tunnels about the place, and where is that fill going ?

Phill, most of the material from the Airport Link tunnel went to that lake beside the Bruce Highway near the Pine River to fill in the old sand dredging area. Other tunnels supplied some of the Fishermans Island reclaimation as well I think I read.

Some of the tunnelling spoor is not much good as landfill as well with veins of coal and odd substrates at different locations along the route.

PADDLES
25-01-2012, 07:57 PM
i hate the government's double standards with the conservation management of the bay, one year their DERM department are telling us that most of the bay has significant conservation value and they show us all the areas of interest and then make some of them marine national park (green) zones, the following year another department (auditor general) tells us that an estuary flowing straight into to a green zone has no significant value and can be dredged and now here we are two years later and they reckon it's going to be cosher to dredge 50 million cubes from an area adjacent to well known sand bank areas that also originally had significant conservation value. it's hypocracy gone mad, the sooner they remove all green zones, make it all a yellow zone, and lock out the entire bay to any commercial extraction activities (including commercial fishing and commercial bait collection) the better.

theoldlegend
26-01-2012, 05:52 AM
This really needs to be put out there in the public arena to expose these hypocrites for what they are!

It's an absolute joke. Why is there no outcry from the greenies on this? Have they been paid off?

Mark Robinson, can you raise this in parliament?

TOL

Axl
26-01-2012, 11:52 AM
This truely is ridiculous these morons running the place have no idea what they are doing. As TOL has said were are the greenies now?

Although they could dredge out the mouths of Lota and Tinny creek for us they wont get there 50 million cubes but it would be start and a win for the people who use these water ways.

PinHead
26-01-2012, 01:03 PM
this was talked about back when the green zones were applied..it is nothing new.

tunaticer
26-01-2012, 02:14 PM
The way I read this, it is a licence to sand mine in the middle of the bay. The spoil is saleable as a sand so they are looking for someone to maintain the channel for the costs of thier mining operation and no cost to the government. There is no way a venture like this would want to be dredging out some shitty muddy river/creek/harbour when all they will get is the mud instead of saleable mineral sands.

Chris Ryan
27-01-2012, 09:15 AM
This truely is ridiculous these morons running the place have no idea what they are doing. As TOL has said were are the greenies now?

Although they could dredge out the mouths of Lota and Tinny creek for us they wont get there 50 million cubes but it would be start and a win for the people who use these water ways.

There are some areas on the Gold Coast which could do with a dredge running through it. Maybe with some thought they could do good Axl..........oh that's right, I said with some thought!! Sorry.

split-shot
30-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Bloody discraceful, would the LNP change this, I doubt it.

Black_Rat
30-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Don't know how old this extract is - > http://bne.com.au/files/pdf/New%20Parallel%20Runway/VOL%20C/C9.pdf

The PDF file takes a while to load up.

Raddish
30-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes Greg, it's been on the cards for a while now...

50 million cubic mtrs of sand being dredged from a Marine Park >??? WTF ? and 10 % of the substrate is covered by Sea Grass.... you know the stuff that Dugongs need to survive on... just to fill up the landfill area for the new airport extention.

NOW............ for those that want to know a FACT.

This landfill could have been brought from the mainland via trucks, but........ wait for it............. it would have caused contraversy as residents along the route would complain of dust and noise. So, in essense......... &%$K the Marine Park, &%#K the Dugongs.

LP

Maybe this one should be up for grabs in consideration of the State Election just being called. ??????????????????

According to my maths, it would take 1,851,852 trips of 45 tonne truck and dog, (approximate 27 m3 capacity) to move 50 million cubic metres. If 100 trips per day were made that would equate to 18,518 days or 50 years!!!!! Am I right?