PDA

View Full Version : USA Boats. Which one and why ?

smclaren
24-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Team

Thinking about an import ... as an upgrade from the Cruisecraft (great boat, need a 4stroke upgrade + another meter in length. May as well buy a new boat).

Keen to understand the options (Pro-line, Seaswirl, Trophy, SeaPro, Grady, Contender, etc etc etc)

Trying to find a web site that will help me through the options ... OR ... keen to hear your views on which model and why. Impossible to test drive every model which is why I'm struggling)

Size: 23-25 foot .. Budget: $35-$45k ... 1/2 cabin or CC (not sure) .. Task: Fishing/Cruising.

Let me know your thoughts on the best model and why .... or a good review site.

Thanks

Steve

The Woo
24-01-2012, 10:49 PM
This is where you need to be mate. http://www.thehulltruth.com/

Lots of good chat and info re the pros and cons of all the US options.

Be aware that timber is still used in many US boats. Also, some of the boats that some Aussies put on a pedestal (Gradys for instance), aren't held with the same regard in the US (ie, not a "top tier" boat).

Muddy Toes
24-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I imported a SeaPro 238WA a year ago and love it.I've got no idea on how it compares to the others you've mentioned to be honest but from stuff I've read on thehulltruth (yank boat forum) it seems to be classed as an honest 'mid-tier' boat. I could only imagine it's not up there with the Grady but on the other end of the scale it's no Sea Fox either.
Ride wise I'm very happy with it.Once again I can't compare it with others in your list but being a big, heavy glass boat it gives a pretty darn good ride in offshore slop.
It's a no timber, 100% composite boat with a good size cabin, good helm position, large cockpit, good solid fittings, two bigass live bait tanks, under seat storage/ice boxes, hard top with electronics box overhead and pretty much everything else you would expect from a boat this size.
As for a good web site you can start with marine connection.
For a good insight in to the process you'll go through and a few answers to you questions and my story have a look at this thread

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?178020-US-Boat-imports&p=1307959#post1307959

and for a video on the actual boat i bought have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4Y_X1otZ0

I've got all new electronics on the boat and recently just re power with a new yamaha. Even after these expenses I reckon I'm miles in front of the local second hand equivalent.

Some other boats that may satisfy your needs may be pro-line, cobia, sailfish, polar, robalo.

Hope this all helps mate.

simonpp82
24-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Just posted this on another thread...
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?181631-Looking-For-A-Glass-Centre-Cabin-Full-Walk-Around
Its a Dusky 233 FAC... stands for fish around cabin. Probably the best layout I've seen for a full on trailerable fishing boat with the option to do overnighters etc.. You could look for months though and might not find one.

Apollo
25-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Yeap, get onto thehulltruth and start reading/asking. Websites to visit there are boatrader and search tempest as starters. I am 99% there to bring one back (just doing the mechanical inspections) and dealing with the yanks is an interesting task. Worth talking to import a boat USA as an agent to bring them back as Ian is very helpful. Alot of the yank dealers are wised up as to the potential to send boats over here and will ship for you. but do your homework first to ensure that all the little hidden costs/tasks are covered. One of the biggest things to consider when you are looking is the trailering width issue as they have wider maximum widths and so you see quiet a few nice boats that are too wide or on trialers that will need to be replaced or rebuilt to comply in AUS. When it come time to do the transfer of funds, consider companies like OzForex instead of your bank to buy US$.

Flex
26-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Biggest thing to watch out for are injection moulded boats.

usually the cheap ones that look to good to be true are injected moulded. Eg Seafox.

Try and stick with the traditional hand laid glass models and you'll be fine.

IcyDuck
26-01-2012, 09:37 AM
What's wrong with injection molded boats BM? Not questioning your experience on this just genuinely interested to know why. I know very little about the process and pitfalls.

Regards Phil

hinchy
26-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi Steve

How about a 2000 model KC2400, [built by Harry Carter] with 140hp suzuki 4 strokes, alumunium trailer for USD$25,000.I was last in contact with the guy 8 to 10 days ago and it was still for sale.Hard top can be disassembled to assist with shipping.

Kind Regards

Hinchy