PDA

View Full Version : Pinched crab pots

ShaneC
24-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

I had a couple of crab pots pinched last night that I stupidly left with floats on down the Pine. Now the pots that were left untouched had jennies and unders in them and had been lifted, so I suspect that the two pots that were nicked may well have had size crabs in them and it was easier to flog them than take the time to empty the crabs and put the pots back.

Now I usually dont leave pots with floats on them (read into that what you will), so the theft of my pots is something a little new to me. So this is what I am going to do. I am in the process of lodging a complaint with both the Fisheries and the local Police station. I am going to make a theft complaint the same as I would if someone nicked something out of my yard. Reason being is that I work for a Queensland Government department, and these days the powers that be are obsessed with statistics and the coppers may well be the same.

I dont know if it would make any difference but if everybody was to report the theft of crab pots when it happens, the fact that it would bugger up some desk jockeys statistics of closed cases may well motivate them to do something about it. I know coppers are busy and I am in no way bagging the blokes on the beat but its only a couple of blokes doing it down there and surely they cant be too hard to catch and be made accountable.

What are your thoughts on this? If everyone reported every theft, do you reckon it would make a difference or has the three rum cans I have had gone to my head? I know where I work they are statistic driven and eventually this would spur someone into action...... For the record, the pots were not in a channel, they did not float away with the king tides (pots were weighted), and they had heaps of rope so the floats did not go underwater.

Shane

MEGA'bite
24-01-2012, 06:34 PM
####### scum, no floats is the answer, but why should we have to.
I bet we would be in more trouble if found sinking our pots, than the ones found pinching them.

gruntahunta
24-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Big Tides this last week has seen many many pots floating along in the channels....Not saying yours floated Shane but I am an experienced crabby and I had one float away on me in the passage on last Sat arvo..... I reckon I counted 15 pots that were floating along over the day and I bet most of these owners reckon they were pinched.

But to catch a crab pot theft would be awesome....One very big hole in the side of their boat would be the start.

fisher28
24-01-2012, 07:01 PM
reporting them as stolen is a good idea,i never thought of that.in reality i guess you are leaving something ungaurded or unsupervised in a public place,i cant see the cops being interested.i dont know if sinking them is the answer either,if i pick up a sunken pot in my trawler i regard it as an illegal fishing device and bin them.the only solution i can think of is a trail cam on a beacon or trees near the side of a creek or river which could take a movie or photos of the thieves,that is until they cotton on and pinch the trail cam as well!

ShaneC
24-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Grunta, they didnt float away mate, was well aware of the king tide and attached a block to each pot on a separate length of rope. I had the pots in a line and the others were still there. I have an idea what I am doing too mate and if I had my time again I would have just attached the block on a longer bit of rope, ditched the float and just picked it up with my hook.

ozscott
24-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I gave up crabbing the Pin for that reason. I used floats and they always got knocked off if not in direct line of sight.

Good idea reporting it - its the loudest squeaky wheel principle.

Cheers

Horse
24-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Thats a great idea. Report every missing pot. The reports will go into the stats and someone may decide to do something about it

ShaneC
24-01-2012, 08:54 PM
That's what I reckon Horse, it is a wide spread problem so eventually one would think that someone would have a gutful of the paperwork and try and do something about it if complaints continually flowed over their desk. I dont think I will be making any more complaints after this one has been lodged in the morning, lesson learnt, they wont be able to find them from now on.....

rando
24-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Top Idea , I hope everyone does the same . It would not take long before the cops had a gut-full with the paperwork.
I feel though the likely outcome is the coppers refusing to lodge the complaint, on the basis that in their view the pots may not have been stolen, but are "lost".

Ausfish
24-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Report it to the water police. Like most gov departments they all need stats. They can not get the funding or support if they don't have the stats. I am sure the guys there would love the extra resources to be able to stop the grubs.

Louis
25-01-2012, 02:58 PM
You can report stolen pots over the phone to the Police on PH: 131444

Louis

Jimbo00
26-01-2012, 02:24 PM
"Now the pots that were left untouched had jennies and unders in them and had been lifted,' I put different coloured zippies on my pots so it is easy to see if the bucks have been opened.

ShaneC
26-01-2012, 07:57 PM
The pots I reckon had bucks in them were goneski mate. How did I know the others were lifted you ask?? You got to get a bit sneaky with a bit of rope work, I tie a loop about 4-6 ft long into the rope, and you feel it pull free when you take up the weight of the pot. If you dont feel it.... it's been lifted. I only do it for my own personal torment, although it is very handy if you are crabbing an area and there are only a few people around. It was not unexpected in the Pine, I knew it would happen.

Hence there are better options than floats down there.....

murf
26-01-2012, 08:53 PM
131444 in NSW to report stolen stuff

I tie a special knot on my traps and can see when they have been emptied, that is if they are still there. I like your slip rope trick ;)

cheers Murf

j_man_84
27-01-2012, 05:26 AM
exactly!! which is such bulls?>t

Louis
27-01-2012, 04:12 PM
131444 in NSW to report stolen stuff

I tie a special knot on my traps and can see when they have been emptied, that is if they are still there. I like your slip rope trick ;)

cheers Murf

G’day Murf,

I know that you can definitely report stolen pots etc., in Queensland on phone 131 444.

I think NSW Police Service has also adopted this same number also but not quite sure.

Louis

blue boat
29-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Crab pot thieves make good crab bait

Mike Delisser
29-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I saw something comming through work last week that I recon might be the go. Don't know exactly what it was, and I hadn't heard of them before but it was made by a mob called Crabteck (I think). They looked like a big swivels and the packet said they were 12 hour release in salt water, + or - 5%. I assume you attach the float to your weighted crab pot with it and in 12hours time your float will pop up to the surface. Sounds ok for setting the pots in the arve and checking them in the morning, don't know if that would be legal but....... Anyone heard of them?

wayno60
29-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I wonder if a different type of float might work. Im thinkin round but flat, so it wont be so obvious if your crusing up the river just looking for white balls.
You would be the only one who knows what area they have been droped and you would have to be nearly on top of them before you see them....
shit i might patend that idea..

BigE
29-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Shane that is excatly how Gov dept are run. they do look for spikes in the number and take them out so the reports would need to trend for a couple of mths ( maybe a qtr)

BigE

Gazza
29-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I wonder if a different type of float might work. Im thinkin round but flat, so it wont be so obvious if your crusing up the river just looking for white balls.
You would be the only one who knows what area they have been droped and you would have to be nearly on top of them before you see them....
shit i might patend that idea..Gotta be 6" min. in all directions mate.
(so people don't run over them ,and get your rope around their prop)

wayno60
29-01-2012, 08:53 PM
bugger!!!!

pescados
30-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Not exactly according to law but if you put pots in the water, tie 2 lines to the pot,
one tied to a hand granade with the line showing, the other line hidden, make sure you pull the hidden line when checking pots lol.
Be worth a million to see that when they pull the pin and get showered.
Don't think they be in a hurry to raid other peoples pots for hopefully a long time or never.

TheHorne
31-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I know the feeling actually caught a guy last week in Salt Water creek during the storms watched him turn back on one of our pots we can see across the lock. Raced down and took the boat across he cut it and told us he was hooked on it which was BS as he turned back 50 metres to get to it. Anyway caught him in the act 3 days later as did a neighbour who went to the ramp and go his car rego as well.

Its fair to say both fisheries and police know about this and we have witnesses. We also found pots that were up around Oyster Cover that the tide and debris had moved down to Jabru Island so thats nearly a couple of kms and around bends its amazing how far they can travel.

As a few have mentioned the best approach is to sink them unfortunately, I wish we didnt have to do that.

Cheers

PinHead
31-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I know the feeling actually caught a guy last week in Salt Water creek during the storms watched him turn back on one of our pots we can see across the lock. Raced down and took the boat across he cut it and told us he was hooked on it which was BS as he turned back 50 metres to get to it. Anyway caught him in the act 3 days later as did a neighbour who went to the ramp and go his car rego as well.

Its fair to say both fisheries and police know about this and we have witnesses. We also found pots that were up around Oyster Cover that the tide and debris had moved down to Jabru Island so thats nearly a couple of kms and around bends its amazing how far they can travel.

As a few have mentioned the best approach is to sink them unfortunately, I wish we didnt have to do that.

Cheers

as a newcomer to Qld..dunno if you are aware that is illegal.

Johnm
31-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I also have had crabpot disappear, however to those who advocate sinking pots and not attaching floats as the law applies don't cry if crabpots are banned and those of us who crab legally are disadvantaged by a few who don't want to.

ShaneC
31-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Ok Pinhead,
Whats your solution?? Short of sitting on them.....

fisher28
31-01-2012, 07:38 PM
i dont think that there is a solution apart from sitting on them or having them under surveillance.it is unfortunate but thats just the way it is at the moment.report them if there stolen and hope that makes the powers take some sort of action,but breaking the law isnt a good fix.

nathank
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Ive figured it out.. i tie mine to my backfence, have offered neighbours on each side crabs and they dont eat seafood. Job done.. i would hate to not have this option now because so many of my pots previously got nicked or pilfered.. in fact i just wouldnt bother if i couldnt do what i do now..

PinHead
01-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Ok Pinhead,
Whats your solution?? Short of sitting on them.....

why would I have a solution..the bloke has said in another thread that he is new to Qld..and as he mentioned sinking pots I thought I would bring it to his attention that is it illegal just in case he did not know. Is there something wrong with trying to help someone??

ShaneC
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Nothing at all wrong with helping someone..... No worries

GraemeW
03-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Had an idea to ID my crab pots to deter people stealing them and to use as their own.

Used a dremel and engraving head to etch your name and town you live in on the plastic PVC support for the frames of the pots.

If anyone steals your pots then others will know the pots are stolen & do not belong to the crab pot thief.

hodges4
03-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Seeing there's an election coming up, and an opposition candidate looking keen to get the fishing vote, why not put it to him as to what resources and methods they will put towards this increasingly expensive theft/damaging of crabpots.
Introducing laws and heavy fines means nothing without enforcement so I hope he has some new ideas.

kind_cir
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
An exploding dye pack attached to your pot would turn a thief purple when he lifts your pots.

The banks use them in stacks of money and they are activated via radio signal. If you could have one that you can deactivate via remote when you lift your own pot, or if not deactivated it would explode on contact of air, that would be good.

A deterent tag attached to the float would allert people that a dye pack is fitted.

Imagine a pot thief turning up to a ramp covered in purple. ;D

fisher28
03-02-2012, 10:13 PM
better still imagine the phone call from a fisheries officer after pulling up your pot to see if it was correctly marked,or in the way because of a large tide!!!!!;D

Louis
09-02-2012, 11:51 AM
This is just an idea but it might work.

I believe that global positioning devices can be made very small these days.

And obviously they can be made water proof.

Why can’t the Police or the Boating and Fisheries Officers attach some device like this to a pot in such a way that it looks just like part of the pot and then monitor these pots via computer at the office etc. When the pot moves, particularly to an on land position, the Police or Fisheries are automatically notified. They can then meet the offenders at the location of the pot.

I can’t see any reason it couldn’t work.

What is everyone’s ideas on this matter?

Louis

pescados
09-02-2012, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=Louis;
This is just an idea but it might work.

I believe that global positioning devices can be made very small these days.

And obviously they can be made water proof.
Why can’t the Police or the Boating and Fisheries Officers attach some device like this to a pot in such a way that it looks just like part of the pot and then monitor these pots via computer at the office etc. When the pot moves, particularly to an on land position, the Police or Fisheries are automatically notified. They can then meet the offenders at the location of the pot.
I can’t see any reason it couldn’t work.

What is everyone’s ideas on this matter?

Fully agree with you Louis but dare say Canberra would have to get involved in this and taking into consideration
the kindergarden is very busy slinging mud at one and other, I would not hold my breath.

The idea of kind_cir is not bad either, preferably if dye can be used without tipping the offender(s) off
and the harder it is to remove the dye, the more chance they get caught.

Triple
13-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Just a reminder to anyone crabbing.. If you use 60ft of rope in 12 ft of water, use less rope or PUT SOME LEAD ON THE ROPE A METRE OR TWO DOWN FROM THE FLOAT to keep the rope underwater low enough to clear props.
I bet alot of people say their pots were stolen when they have had the rope chopped by props due to so much rope floating near the surface 30ft away from their float.

BOMBIE
13-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Just a reminder to anyone crabbing.. If you use 60ft of rope in 12 ft of water, use less rope or PUT SOME LEAD ON THE ROPE A METRE OR TWO DOWN FROM THE FLOAT to keep the rope underwater low enough to clear props.
I bet alot of people say their pots were stolen when they have had the rope chopped by props due to so much rope floating near the surface 30ft away from their float. Yep, and a 4/5 ltr oil bottle with 1/2" rope on a 2kg pot ,,,,,,dont stand a chance in a 4mtr gallop out tide !

skipalong
16-02-2012, 08:22 PM
shane i got a direct number for a fisho officer he can sort it out he looks after me with all the theft i report weekly to him !! it usually winds up being one of the sme guys i have since got a bit of my gear back.

castlemaine
16-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Was at Noosa River couple of Easter's ago and saw four pots in a line but was not attended to over four days. So my mate decided to pull one up (under my very strenuous protests) to see the name of the owner.
He ended up ringing the owner and the owner had thought his pots were stolen but was washed down a couple of kms down river. Funny they were still in a set row. My mate brought them back to Brissie and the owner came and collected them.
For the record there were no crabs of size in the pots.
I thought it very dangerous to pull up pots even if you think you'd be doing the owner a favour.
On another point ... With heaps of pots using 150mm ball floats it's sometimes not real easy, in a busy area, to see if it is your float until you get right up to it, so don't assume if someone hovers over your float that they're about to check it.