PDA

View Full Version : Great day fishing in the rain

Yellowjack
24-01-2012, 04:05 PM
NOT!!!

Headed out to my new favourite bass spot for a ''whole day'' session in the rain after hearing of a mate get his pb bass last night in the rain.

Got there, put on the ''waterproof jacket'' got the rods out and set off along the path.
As I was walking down to the path I saw the uhhh water over the path moving very quick. Shocked pulled out my phone took a picture and sent it to a mate. Lots of floating branches and stuff running past, decided to give it a miss and go to my ''original spot''. When walking back to the car, I pulled out my phone to take another picture of the flooded area when I realize it is off, a few attempts to turn it back on with no luck. *insert rage*

So there goes my phone... lasted me a good 4 years... its currently in surgery (in a bowl of rice, apparently it fixes them)

Flooded Path

Determined to not have wasted breaking my phone for nothing, I set out for another spot. After plenty of traffic, lunatic drivers and a completely fogged up back window, I get there. ( my demister is broken LOL)

Well, what do you know, its FLOODED ASWELL, the whole carpark under...
So I pull out my phone to take a pi....oh wait its broken....

Absoloutly fuming drove home...

So broke my phone, got saturated and wasted alot of petrol for nothing but a big SOGGY DONUT. (not really a donut because i didnt spend any time fishing.)

Looks like nothing but youtube fishing vids the next couple of days...

Cheers,
Jack

ps. How long usually till the flooded areas are back to the original water level?

pps. Any tips for keeping your stuff dry whilst fishing in the rain, I had a spray jacket sort of thing on that kept me dry but not my phone...

Mossy247
24-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Snap lock bag.

chop
24-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I allways carry ziplock bags to keep valuables dry even if it doesn't look like rain. I may have to go wading and not want to leave anything on the bank etc.

john b ward
24-01-2012, 04:36 PM
i use a snap lock lunch box one wiht a o-ring for camera and phone .....

softplasticsdude79
24-01-2012, 04:38 PM
i use a snap lock lunch box one wiht a o-ring for camera and phone .....

yep,same as i do

xrnath
24-01-2012, 04:44 PM
NOT!!!
pps. Any tips for keeping your stuff dry whilst fishing in the rain, I had a spray jacket sort of thing on that kept me dry but not my phone...

There's certainly plenty of rain about SE QLD this week, still rather be out there than at work!

I used to use zip lock bags but have since moved to waterproof pouches (great for keys + phone etc) or waterproof cases (for your phone). I bought an iDry ($17 delivered) for an iPhone and it's 5M waterproof, it's been extremely reliable for about a year now and doubles as an underwater video camera.

marty+jojo
24-01-2012, 04:47 PM
I once waded out to retrieve a snagged barra with my old nokia x6 in my pocket, i did not realise for about an hour. I left it in a container of rice for 24 hrs and it came back to life. Shame yo didn't get any bass.
Marty.

Dicktracey
24-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Headed out to my new favourite bass spot for a ''whole day'' session in the rain after hearing of a mate get his pb bass last night in the rain.
Some mate Jack as if he would set you up telling you a crock of shit like that ;) ?

(hope you cannot identify my spot from the pic lol!)
Not unless your a local :) :)

Yellowjack
24-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Snap lock bag seems to be the best for me, I got a green alvey bag (the one from bcf) that I use when I go bass fishing, so a lunchbox type container might be too oddly shaped to fit, I will have a look around though thanks for your suggestions.

xrnath - The Idry sounds good though pity I dont have an iphone :( (maybe if i bring my ipod haha)

Marty - I would of had a flick but the water was moving fairly quick with branches and crap floating past, didnt wanna risk my new lures :D - i also have my phone in some rice aswell, will check in 24 hours to see if the surgery was a success

Dick - :P the rain wasnt too bad last night, I saw a pic of my mates pb, boy it was big haha.
I might have to go check my car to see if there is any red lights flashing. I'll be on the lookout for spy drone planes next time im out hahaha

Cheers,
Jack

sharkymark2
24-01-2012, 05:24 PM
My LG went through the washing machine. I pulled it out and rinsed it under warm water and left it out to dry. About 4 days later I plugged it in and everything came back to life :). Life was good after that.

Gon Fishun
24-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Now, if you said you were in such n such area, I could tell you when the water level returns to normal.;D

chop
24-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I use snaplock/ziplock as they are cheap and don't take up any more volume than the contents and even less volume to carry around empty and you can double or triple bag the contents if you're that worried. I reckon the glad bags would have kms of water resistance depth unlike the 17 dollar 5 meter one. But I don't know about the contents holding up to that amount of under water pressure :P If you want to pay more for your waterproof bag bring it over to me and I will initial it and charge you 10 bucks ;D another 5 if you want me to provide the bags.

Si
24-01-2012, 08:46 PM
good effort though mate. at least your having a go.

you are giving too much away mate. you have worked hard in finding out a good spot for you, dont make it easy for people.

Dicktracey
25-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Water was twice as high in there this morning Jack,hope you told your bass to stay put ;)

Chas & Clarry
25-01-2012, 06:47 AM
NOT!!!

ps. How long usually till the flooded areas are back to the original water level?

Hey Jack
Sorry about your mis-adventure. Hope the phone recovers!
In terms of how long before the flooded areas return to the previous water level; I used to commute to work by bike a lot. When "those" areas of the South pine used to flood it could take up to a week for things to return to normal and for fords to be dry again; especially after a deluge like this - even longer.

There is a part of the BOM site that gives you river levels on a graph so you can see how it is going. You can check a few spots to compare and get an idea of the area you are thinking of.

See the following link for Cashes Crossing (which I DON'T think was the area you were)..You can work out how to get to a better MEasuring station for your purposes (eg you can then go to "previous" or "next" water height measuring station via the buttons below the graph and track down or up river to get the best indicators for your area. http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65389/IDQ65389.540415.plt.shtml

Tim

Yellowjack
25-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Update on the surgery - Phone is working again :)

That rice trick really does work ;D

Wooooo

Cheers,
Jack

Chas & Clarry
25-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Update on the surgery - Phone is working again :)

That rice trick really does work ;D

Wooooo

Cheers,
Jack

Didn't work when I dropped mine in the loo.

Gon Fishun
25-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Now there's an opening for some good Aussie wit.

Gon Fishun
25-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Water was twice as high in there this morning Jack,hope you told your bass to stay put ;)

Where was that place again ???.
No, just kiddin, the creeks and water holes up here are full of Bass and Cod.
Rumor has it there are Bass in Caboolture.

Yellowjack
25-01-2012, 11:10 PM

May have been because it didnt land in water ;D... HAHAH just kidding mate, that sucks :( , after about 24 hours it would turn on then turn off, gave it a couple more hours in the rice now it is working full speed.

Where was that place again ???.
No, just kiddin, the creeks and water holes up here are full of Bass and Cod.
Rumor has it there are Bass in Caboolture.

Heheh there sure are, I am looking at getting a Kayak so I can access more places, boy there is a huge selection..