PDA

View Full Version : Careers in the boating and marine industry

riverrat321
23-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have often regretted not persuing a career in the marine industry. Now in my mid thirties I am wondering what possibilities there are? I spoke to someone who was getting their Coxwains Certificate and I think that got me thinking again. When I was younger I was interested in doing a marine mechanic apprenticeship. Now I can't really afford to live on apprentice wages so I am looking for something else. If anyone here works in the marine industery and has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I don't really want to do sales as I need a steady income. I am kind of thinking about getting a Coxswain Certificate too but have no idea how much work is available or what the pay would be like. Again I would love to hear any and all suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Dantren
23-01-2012, 05:55 PM
What about an admin/back of house,etc job at BLA or the like? 9-5, home every night to the family, clean & tidy.
Let us know what skills you have.....

Jarrah Jack
23-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Pete, Grand Marlin on here, was looking for someone to help with installations and things not long ago. Might be worth shooting him a pm.

wirlybird
23-01-2012, 10:23 PM
As some one who worked in the industry for 20 years its feast and famine in one month i earnt 50k with the sudburry reef incident then nothing for six months. Sure you can do the passanger thing but the money isn't there. On average a coxswain will only earn a base wage so will a class 5 the real money starts at class 4 and above and so does the equivalent MED ticket. Most masters have an MED so the owner dosent have to pay for another person or ticket. Its a tough industry to get a brake in but one i will remember fondly for the rest of my life.

BM
23-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Marine in Australia is an incredibly small market across the board.

Typically, to make BIG money in the marine game, you have to invest BIG and risk BIG.

Otherwise, INNOVATE. Create a niche market within the industry and you can make some good money.

But be under no illusion that there are many other ways to make better money than marine. I love marine and will always be a part of the industry but it wont make you wealthy in my view if you are an honest operator. (No disrespect to those who may be honestly making big coin but I've never met any).

Qld seems to have a big push for "mobile" mechanics (moreso than other states) but mobile traditionally will not make good money. Too much wasted travel time and back and forth for unforeseen issues.

There are unexplored opportunities in marine and each state will have its own niche markets and also national niches.

crab man
24-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Mate do your Master Class 5 and look into LNG at gladstone and heaps of other places wages start around 130k a year marine jobs .... carnt turn your nose at that money . but its big hours etc and can be hard to get a start

kind_cir
24-01-2012, 12:00 PM
It depends on what you realy want and what you can achieve. Places in the marine industry are many and varied, and as some have said they can be sometimes hard to get a start in, or pay is only basic. The golden jobs seem few few and far between, and require more tickets and experience that requires time and money with no garentee.

I was once in the same position as you and in the end give up on the idea as i realy needed a steady income for minimal outlay and time. I got my truck licence and now drive a MR delivering turf, as well as some farm work like mowing ect when required. It suits me and it broadens my skills, and i love it but it's not forever. I would still like to get into the marine industry, maybe i will transport boats one day, and or work the forks in one of those dry rack places.

So as you can see the path may not be as straight forward as jumping straight into the marine industry. You may have to upskill in another industry to get some skills that will help you on your way to a marine industry job.

So here are a few things that may see you transition.

Automotive spray painter - plate alloy boat painter
Boiler maker - boat fabrication
truck driver - boat transport
car salesman - boat salesman

See how things pan out, you may find it better to get a job that may give you skills that will help you transition into the industry. Then while working this job, and building the skills and the $'s search intensivly and when the time is right maybe score a job in the marine industry.

riverrat321
24-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone and thank you for the detailed responses. I have been pyaying around with boats for about 25 years. Sea-al Super Skua's, Thundercats, Ski/race boats and fishing boats. I can drive them on the water and perform most mechanical tasks on them. I have been in the Electronic Security Industry for most of my time and have worked my way up to a Management position. Having a Wife, Kids and Mortgage does make it hard for a career change, but it has been on my mind for some time. I live in Sydney, but would consider a relocation for the right career. I really want a long term career and not just a job.

Crab Man, What is LNG? I have called Sea School in Sydney and spoken to them about my Coxwain and MED 3. I also spoke to someone who is advertising for Jet Boat drivers on Sydney Harbour. Unfortunatly it will take me a while to get qualified and will struggle with my mortgage. I am currently on 80K and things re still pretty tight as my Wife is a stay at home Mum.

Another thing I was thinking of was joining the Police and trying to get into the Water Police after my 3 years of General Duties. Looks like I may have to stay where I am until the Wife goes back to work, but that might be a couple of years away.

wirlybird
24-01-2012, 01:31 PM
ahh i had a 600 model skua in sydney great boats

I have a mate working the LNG area in gladstone he is on 180K for 6 months but he is like me with about 2-3million sea miles under his belt in tugboats. He was asking me to come up there to work but it isnt worth throwing in my lifestyle. He said that it has become very OHS orentated and you need your STCW also which costs $$$$$$$ and time

Mrs Ronnie H
24-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys

Any jobs on offer count me in. Been trying to get a job in the Fishing/Boating area for yonks but I am not young enough /have too much or too little experience. Think it is a hard area to get into. Great in Admin.

Wish you well.

Ronnie

riverrat321
24-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I had a few 600 series Skua's. Fantastic boats! If I saw another one in good condition I would snap it up! Wish I kept mine...

wirlybird
24-01-2012, 05:42 PM
i sold my one last year i had it for 10 years with a 30hp on the back for $2500 its what i paid for it back in the day. bloody good for a boat that lasted so long. It did two trips around Australia and i have the unofficial record for the fastest time from Hamilton island to able point marina.

I had it pinned the whole way :)

riverrat321
24-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I would have loved that boat. 600 series was the best. I was considering getting one custom built once. I wish I had of convinced my Father to buy one brand new when they still made them at Andrew Short in around 1988. Most fun boat I ever had.

Tangles
24-01-2012, 09:49 PM
i changed career 16 -18 years ago, nice comfy job. It took me 4 years to re train and a major life style adjustment, tough starting at the ground level again, how much do you want really want it or is it an i wish?

reckon if you really want it, make it happen, you will make it work if its what you really want,

If your going to make a change, make it count and no compromise as otherwise why bother....as family will need to be emotionally carried as well,

Good luck with it

cheers
Mike

Dodgemeister
25-01-2012, 11:37 AM
6 years ago at 45 years of age, and 20 years in IT/Telecommunications, I got an adult apprenticeship in marine mechanics at a workshop here in Vic, so it can be done. There are various state & federal grants/subsidies/allowances available to both you & the employer so you may have to do some research to show potential employers what they can get. Going to trade school with 16-18 year olds was an unusual situation, to say the least.
Roger

Micadogs
25-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Whilst not in the marine industry it is related. My parents, retired at 60 and couldn't handle it. They were the traditional blue collar worker and both never completed high school. Anyways, they bought management rights on the gold coast. They are located on the broadwater. It only requires one person to run the business most times, so they have a great lifestyle - boating, fishing, golfing etc.

Now they have grand kids and this job also suits that, they work at home, live on the water and have that great lifestyle.

Whilst it necessarily isnt in the Marine Industry, it has been the Sea Change they pondered. It is a fantastic lifestyle for young families (think of all the playmates comes holiday time - they come to you).

They required no experience to enter this market, have two appreciating assets (unit and the management rights) and the lifestyle.

Regards Adam

bluefin59
25-01-2012, 03:30 PM
There was a job in today's courier mail installing electronics and decals , I guess it was on new boats but have a look it maybe the start you are looking for lots of luck Matt

Lantana
25-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Gday Riverrat
Depends on what you are looking at. In the Top End, and I think right around the northern areas, there can be work available on Barges. Masters are well paid, but need a lot of qualifications and experience. Mates less so, but the quals still take a bit. Engineers like wise. Could start as a deckie which is perhaps around the $60K mark, 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off. Will need STCW95 which you can get at Cairns TAFE I think, and maybe somewhere in Brisbane.
You will probably have to invest a bit into training, but with it, it will open up opportunities. Getting up sea hours can be a challenge for some of Masters/Mates jobs, and also Coxswain as well I think.
Best of luck with it.

riverrat321
25-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks again everyone. Great advice and info. I will keep checking this out. Everyone is throwing ideas around which is great. I am going away for a outlet of days with the family to Goulburn. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to unwind and think. I need to consider the family too. I will check in again in a couple of days when I get back. Much appreciated everyone. Any and all input on this is fantastic.

Grand_Marlin
26-01-2012, 05:50 AM
G'day River Rat,

This should be of help.

http://www.marineqld.com.au/careers

They also have started an apprentice / worker part time placement scheme, but I can't find the info.

My advice is to use the skills you already have to change over to a similar job in the Marine Industry, then branch out from there as you gain extra skills and knowledge.

Cheers

Pete

MTAQ/BTAQ
26-01-2012, 07:21 AM
I completed a Restricted Coxswains ticket in the 1990s - you complete a TAFE course (Cert II Transport and Distribution) at Ithaca TAFE (Brisbane), also can be done as an external student with Wide Bay TAFE (Hervey Bay), you have to get 90 days COMMERCIAL sea time in your area of restriction and then go to MSQ for an oral assessment - if you get your act together it can be done in 6-12 months. I now have great job in the marine industry.

Taylor2
29-01-2012, 10:31 PM
join the navy as a marine technician for atleast six years. You'll get trained and paid well. If you put in a little extra toward the end to get your civilian accreditation, you'll be in demand. Enjoying the life style is the biggest catch...

myusernam
30-01-2012, 05:48 AM
you could join the customs service (ex darwin sort of like the navy)

wirlybird
30-01-2012, 07:12 AM
join the navy as a marine technician for atleast six years. You'll get trained and paid well. If you put in a little extra toward the end to get your civilian accreditation, you'll be in demand. Enjoying the life style is the biggest catch...

Navy time isnt 100% taken as sea time by queensland transport. And you will learn nothing about driving a boat as a technician, also your training isnt accredited so you walk away with nothing.

wirlybird
30-01-2012, 07:12 AM
you could join the customs service (ex darwin sort of like the navy)

You need to have a ticket to join Customs

Smithy
30-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Customs is super hard to get into but a great job. I know two blokes who have tried a few times to get into it, one is a prison guard and ex long line observer and anthor is a BF&P officer. You'd think they would have a good chance with those backgrounds but the only one I know to have got in the last few years is an ex guide off Nomad Charters as he could prove he was used to living at sea for long periods of time. One of those you virtually need someone to die to get into sort of jobs.

Wirlybird,

when I did my Coxswains the Navy guys seemed to have a walk up start on seatime which I thought was dodgey as they could have been a cook or whatever and nothing practical to do with seamanship but they had massive seatime. One guy had a stat dec from back in the Vietnam War era.

wirlybird
30-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah sea time in the navy is seen as time posted to a ship, where as sea time in commercial shipping is in days at sea that’s why they don’t credit it all. when i joined the navy i had the equivalent of some 50 years at sea they didn’t know what to do with me. It was an issue for my entire enlistment as i should have been on a higher tier from the get go it meant big bucks for them but it wasn’t until i said "I’m out of here" they dangled an 80K carrot in front of me and said beg for it.

pft losers.

I still managed to do salvage jobs on the side. They weren’t happy with me doing it but i made 10 times the wage in 6 weeks than an entire year in the navy.

And your right they could have been a communicator or a cook and never driven a boat in their life but the same thing happens to the guys on the real big ship’s. its just hard to regulate

riverrat321
30-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I just called Sea School and they said that you need a proven 900 hours on a commercial boat to get the certificate. They said it was reduced from 1800. With the hours I work it will take me well over a year to get this ammount of time up. The only thing I could do is start as a dockhand and throw my current job away. I assume as a dockhand I would earn about 50K and I would not be able to pay my mortgage. This dream may have to wait till my other half returns to work in a couple of years... I will still keep looking and investigating though. Wish I had of done this when I was younger nd not tied down!

Master4Med2
30-01-2012, 03:02 PM
riverrat321,

You need to go directly to Waterways to find the correct answers to your questions.

P.M me if you want to discuss.

riverrat321
30-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi Master4Med2, I am going in on my next day off which will be Friday. Thanks for that mate.

Master4Med2
30-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Riverrat321,
Check you P.M's
I was in a hurry when I sent you the PM, if you need more let me know.

riverrat321
01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks heaps for all your help Master4Med2. Much appreciated mate.

Smithy
01-02-2012, 10:16 PM
There are definately jobs out there. Heard of two on the grapevine today. One a deckies job here and one for a Coxswains with a mob doing big projects.

riverrat321
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
There seems to be a lot more work in QLD than NSW. I have been looking on seek etc and there is not much. I suppose lots of jobs would be word of mouth though.

wirlybird
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Its prety much how it works bud once your in you have to sell yourself on how good your last job was. Much like applying for a job every week. But as you said you need a stable income to pay the mortgage. And from all the info you got in here your probly well armed to make the right decisions no matter what the waterways jokers tell you. It took me 20 years to get to master 2 and i find i can still earn more at a land based job and still enjoy my fishing every weekend. But sometimes it comes down to a point in your life where you need a change or a new chalenge. its a bit of an itch that you cant scratch that we all can relate to.