PDA

View Full Version : 5 tonnes of oil in the river

PinHead
23-01-2012, 03:28 PM
bloody marvellous this is:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/oil-spill-hits-citycat-services/story-e6freoof-1226251208593

hooknpull
23-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Yup! Just heard it on a ad on tv... Not very good for the waterway... Hopefully they are able to contain it and clean it all up..

xrnath
23-01-2012, 03:34 PM
bloody marvellous this is:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/oil-spill-hits-citycat-services/story-e6freoof-1226251208593

I also just read about this, further information and video can be found here > http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/fivetonne-oil-spill-in-brisbane-river-20120123-1qd8o.html :( >:(

http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/120123/oilspill2_400_17hpje0-17hpje2.jpg
http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/2012/01/23/2910092/oil_729-420x0.jpg

Lucky_Phill
23-01-2012, 03:38 PM
That's disgusting... spelling Jim Hugget.......... Jum. Disgusting journalism. >:( :-?

Here's the MSQ media release.

Maritime Safety Queensland responding to small oil spill

Maritime Safety Queensland is preparing a helicopter to overfly the scene of an oil spill at Hamilton Wharves on the Brisbane River.

About five tonnes of fuel oil spilled during a ship refuelling operation at Hamilton Wharf this morning shortly after 6.45 am.

Maritime Safety Queensland Acting General Manager Jim Huggett said the flight was in addition to counter pollution measures already taken to support the Port of Brisbane’s response to the oil spill.

“We have deployed oil skimmers and placed booms around the ship in addition to measures also being taken by the Port of Brisbane,” Mr Huggett said.

“Maritime Safety Queensland will investigate the circumstances of the spill but our priority at this stage is to contain the oil and clean it up soon as possible."

The oil was lost during the refuelling of a cargo ship, the GL Lan Xiu, by a refuelling vessel, the Valiant III, at Hamilton Number 4 Wharf.

About 2000 head of cattle due to be loaded on board the vessel which was bound for Japan remain on the shore.

Environmental authorities have been notified and clean-up crews are on stand-by.

Last updated: 23 January 2012

LP

Lucky_Phill
23-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Pity Kate Jones didn;t drop a green zone there, that way the environment would be protected :-X ::) :P :-X 8-)

:whip:

LP

Lucky_Phill
23-01-2012, 06:02 PM
AND NOW channel 9 news puts up Jims name as Jim Huffett.

Is there no quality control in media these days............ ???????????????

LP

Axl
23-01-2012, 07:40 PM
That's disgusting... spelling Jim Hugget.......... Jum. Disgusting journalism. >:( :-?

Here's the MSQ media release.

Maritime Safety Queensland responding to small oil spill

Maritime Safety Queensland is preparing a helicopter to overfly the scene of an oil spill at Hamilton Wharves on the Brisbane River.

About five tonnes of fuel oil spilled during a ship refuelling operation at Hamilton Wharf this morning shortly after 6.45 am.

Maritime Safety Queensland Acting General Manager Jim Huggett said the flight was in addition to counter pollution measures already taken to support the Port of Brisbane’s response to the oil spill.

“We have deployed oil skimmers and placed booms around the ship in addition to measures also being taken by the Port of Brisbane,” Mr Huggett said.

“Maritime Safety Queensland will investigate the circumstances of the spill but our priority at this stage is to contain the oil and clean it up soon as possible."

The oil was lost during the refuelling of a cargo ship, the GL Lan Xiu, by a refuelling vessel, the Valiant III, at Hamilton Number 4 Wharf.

About 2000 head of cattle due to be loaded on board the vessel which was bound for Japan remain on the shore.

Environmental authorities have been notified and clean-up crews are on stand-by.

Last updated: 23 January 2012

LP

Not to sure where your heading with this one LP?

Pity Kate Jones didn;t drop a green zone there, that way the environment would be protected :-X ::) :P :-X 8-)

LP

Touchee!!!!

AND NOW channel 9 news puts up Jims name as Jim Huffett.

Is there no quality control in media these days............ ???????????????

LP

Nope!!!!

Lucky_Phill
23-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Well AXL, I wasn't too sure what the topic heading was endorsing... the oil spill or the amatuer like journalism.. :-?

They couldn't even ' copy and paste ' the media release correctly....... I mean... they may be using Chimps to process the goss, but surely a click of a mouse can't be that hard ?..... And, I just wanted to get to the source of the story.... always good to get the facts, rather than some vomit, spewed up by the dollar driven, ethically devoid media.

Back to the topic. bad thing has happened. Saw it on the tube and yes, the slick has travelled a fair way. Even though a " reporter " stated that the Water Police were on the lookout for 2 Pelicans that were reported to be oil-ladden, we didn't get to see that....... sort of reminds me " Choppagate ". :-X ::)

Now will there be the follow up ? Port Authority or DERM slapping the perpetrators with a clean up bill and more . I do know that accidents happen, but I believe the general public should be kept informed of any outcomes in relation to the circumstances surrounding this event and what, if any , different approaches or protocols could be utilised in the furture to avoid such problems.

LP

Axl
23-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Well AXL, I wasn't too sure what the topic heading was endorsing... the oil spill or the amatuer like journalism.. :-?

They couldn't even ' copy and paste ' the media release correctly....... I mean... they may be using Chimps to process the goss, but surely a click of a mouse can't be that hard ?..... And, I just wanted to get to the source of the story.... always good to get the facts, rather than some vomit, spewed up by the dollar driven, ethically devoid media.

Back to the topic. bad thing has happened. Saw it on the tube and yes, the slick has travelled a fair way. Even though a " reporter " stated that the Water Police were on the lookout for 2 Pelicans that were reported to be oil-ladden, we didn't get to see that....... sort of reminds me " Choppagate ". :-X ::)

Now will there be the follow up ? Port Authority or DERM slapping the perpetrators with a clean up bill and more . I do know that accidents happen, but I believe the general public should be kept informed of any outcomes in relation to the circumstances surrounding this event and what, if any , different approaches or protocols could be utilised in the furture to avoid such problems.

LP

Me niether LP:-?, as far as using chimps goes it is quite possible as they would quite posibly be smarter than the oringinator (jouralist or chimp very close):P, facts are always better then vomit;D, the parties involved should certainly get the bill;), As for choppergate we will have to wait and see:-X. Accidents certainly do happen unfortunatly, but as you have said the public should always be infrormed and if there were lessons to be learnt lets hope all parties involved have done so:D.

fisho8
23-01-2012, 08:57 PM
How many lessons have to be learned we only have 1 bay FFS simple put fuel hose in socket and watch it so it does not fall out how can some not notice fuel running out to the point it had lost 5 tonnes of fuel before anyone noticed....... friggen morons. I hope they throw the book at them.:angryfire:

chop
23-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Upsetting all around really. When I first heard about it this morning there was no reporting on what was the cause just that city cat commuters had been affected, those poor people!. It sucks but it has happened and apparently it was an accident like all the other accidents that could be prevented, It only mucks us up and the fish and the birds. Oh and the city cat users, they are after all the most important.

wayno60
24-01-2012, 01:18 AM
hey boss i spilt some oil...how the hell do you spill 5 tonne of the shit????

NAGG
24-01-2012, 06:27 AM
hey boss i spilt some oil...how the hell do you spill 5 tonne of the shit????

My guess is that this oil would be pumped at a pretty fast rate ........ just a little quicker than the diesel pump at the local garage ;)

Chris

Gazza
24-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Pity Kate Jones didn't drop a green zone there, that way the environment would be protected :-X ::) :P :-X 8-)
LPGood Plan , let's make ALL wharves GREEN ZONES !!! :D

SOOO when the LNP get-in , we can RecFisho them [one (1) line & hook accepted] ;D

Lucky_Phill
24-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Did you miss my sarcasim Gazza. ? :-X

In 1983 I penned a letter to MP David Jull pleading with him and his Government to stop allowing freighters passing in between reef systems in the Great Barrier reef for fear of " accidents ". This was not some clairvoyant type furture seeing escapade, simply commonsense.

We now have a history of ship groundings , accidents and reef destruction throught-out the greater areas of the GBRMP.

The current crop of " never worked or set foot in the outdoors " politicians running ( apparently ) this State came up with this fantastic plan to protect the ' environment '. We'll draw imaginary lines on a map and " save the Planet ".:smug:

No foresight, no research, no science........... NO >>>IDEA !!!!!!!!!! >:(

This spill may have been an accident, hopefully a simple enquiry will tell the story, but this should be cause to re-think the proceedures for re-fueling etc on water.

Let's not go down the path of over-legislating this thing, like the Workplace Health and Safety debacle. Simple learn from the mis-hap and work to improve our practices.

The Government, Water Police, Port Authority, DERM and others acssociated in the dealing with this issue have a great opportunity to showcase their ability to deal with issue slike this, their committment to advance the proceedures and to be accountable and transparent to the public. This method can only lead to better relationships between the people, and the Government the people elected to represent them.

" We don't want finger pointing and a blame game. "

Here's what happened, here's how we fix it and this is what we'll do to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Not 17,983 enquiries, no delays and no spin........... >:(

LP

robtarr
24-01-2012, 03:17 PM
uh Labor govt....some bad has happenned.....must be Tony Abbott's fault.....

Gazza
24-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Did you miss my sarcasim Gazza. ? :-X

LPNo M8 , it's just I was serious , as per below :)

Good Plan , let's make ALL wharves GREEN ZONES !!! :D

SOOO when the LNP get-in , we can RecFisho them [one (1) line & hook accepted] ;D

FNQCairns
24-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Was not the majority of the 5 t0nnes sucked up before escaping proper....that's what I heard, this info doesn't make for good copy I suppose.

Diesel is not that bad quite highly biodegradable after the volatile fractions flash/separate away, plenty of microorganisms feeding furiously upon it atm all happy as a pig in the proverbial.

and before someone goes all motherhood statement on me :)....it would have been better for the environment not to have had the spill in the first place.

tunaticer
24-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah FNQ, the vast majority was sucked up or contained within the booms, what escaped was a sheen on the water, not any of the heavy fuel oil (not diesel).

FNQCairns
24-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Jack for that, even better again for the enviro, makes it hardly news worthy actually.

Axl
25-01-2012, 12:52 PM
At least the powers that be are going after the people responsible.;D (From the Courier Mail today) http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/three-charged-over-oil-spill/story-e6freonf-1226253020457

Axl
25-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Hold the phone it looks like they have made bail and will be leaving later in the week.:-? (From the Courier Mail today) http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/three-charged-over-oil-spill/story-e6freoof-1226253026381

Oh Gee
25-01-2012, 08:59 PM
If you read the paper form of the Courier Mail today, it said 5000 tonnes of oil was spilt...I do wish they (the Courier) would get their facts and figures straight otherwise we won't know what to believe.