PDA

View Full Version : Blackwatch 30 to upsize or not

rustymarlin
22-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I am looking at upgrading from a trailer boat to a blackwatch 30 dose anyone have any first hand inf on fuel usage (twin diesel)for a day of trolling the shelf in one of these boats. any info on ride and sea handling ability anything to watch out for and so would be appreciatedI have had a few boats now but never anything that big. Keen to understand all of the costs that you get with a boat this big.

Offshore 79
22-01-2012, 08:34 PM
G'day mate I have owned a 34 black watch witch will have very similar costs to a 30 I had 350 yanmars in mine they where a good engine but very very expensive on spare parts and servicing try and find one with cummins there are some cheap 34s around also I would fish tweed canyons and further south out of tweed for about a 10hr day for between 260 to 300 letters which I was more than happy with the BWs handle a sea better than anything I have been on for there size.I only sold mine because I was stuck on the flybridge driving all day I have just picked up my new 2700 Noosa cat hard top and love it one thing to remember when up sizing to a BW trips away from your home port are harder because you need good weather to get there good weather to fish and good weather to get back they are a great boat go the extra 4ft

Smithy
23-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Yep listen to Simon. False economy to get a 30'. That 4' makes a world of difference to the ride. They plane just as easy so can get by with the same horsepower. The 34s ride a lot more flatter. The 30s ride nose up and get bounced a bit more. Depends what is in the market place. I see Wee Jock is listed for $140K for a hard worked charterboat 34' but being ex survey will be built right and having Cummins is a good thing.

The 34' I go on all the time has the SRM33 Fiats/Ivecos (red devils) which is a 330-300-270 block depending on injectors. It has the 270 injectors in it and you can run 28Nm, troll all day, run home 28Nm for 260 litres of diesel. Running 8Nm out and then 8Nm back and live baiting all day it uses 80-90 litres. To do the same run and troll all day is a 120 litre day. A 30' I used to fish on had twin 370 Ivecos (the new bluey/green colour ones in a common rail computer controlled engine) and it had floscan so at say 20knots it was 35 litres per hour per side. At idle live baiting it was 3.5litres per hour per side and at 7knots trolling it was 5 a side or something.

The 34' with the red Ivecos cruises at say 19knots for 2200rpm but it does that all day long any sea, upsea or downsea. A Deep V 340 I used to fish on with the 315 or 350 Yanmars like Simos would cruise at say 24knots and probably had a fast cruise of 27 if you pushed it. The 30' with the 370s topped out at 34.7knots.

Also don't discount the 35' Berties. Much more roomier boat and a lot are running the 315/330 Cummins so they are going to be just a little bit more expensive to run because they are heavier but so much roomier. There is a good one for sale at the moment with Cummins here. Fin Atic. Look it up.

I'd rather an old heavier built Black Watch over one of the lighter, raised sheerline Deep Vs even though they were the same mould.

So you've got your 2700 Unit?

rustymarlin
23-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks gents very good info. trying to meet a budget. Wife has just found fishing and is keen I have 3 boys who love it also. I want to still be able to fish a full day and not break the bank. Not sure what to do 280l per day equals $450 per day at our local marina Makes fishing get costly??Any suggestions i want to e able to fish the shelf comfortably and overnight with the family . I have lokked at a couple of 30 BW and 1 34 see what you mean about difference in size but I can get a 2005 30 for 160K 34 1997 model 170K??

fisho8
23-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Found this one on boatsales running cummings deisels I was looking at these the other day. Not a bad boat for the money but with the cost of fuel and sevicing and marina fees these days can be an expensive day out. big commitment mate that is for sure good luck in your travels hope you find what you are looking for.:)

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11600466

The Woo
23-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Taking mooring and insurance fees etc away for a moment, it is my belief that you should budget whatever value is used in fuel, put at least that aside for repairs and maintainence.

Both the 30 and 34 are very good fishing boats (which in my opinion also makes them pretty good day boats), though the 34 is more desirable as you'd expect. However, personally, I'm not a massive fan of the layout of either, I just don't like stepping down into the saloon from the cockpit, and it makes both models feel quite small for their length. The purests will say it makes them more stable, and maybe fair point, but there is a trade off. Because of this design, both boats feel a little like a 28' Betram, similar "step down into" design.

I sincerely hope you find the boat that suits you. It's a discussion forum, so we're all quite happy to discuss! :)

Smithy
24-01-2012, 06:51 AM
If cost is your issue, not much middle ground other than a 28' Bertie with the 230/240 Yanmar repower. Other than that, you are back to trailerboat land as soon as you go away from twin diesel shaft drives. 2400 Kevlacats, old Haines Hunters done up, US import etc.

You could get that green towered 26' Black Watch with the tower and Volvo leg but then you are up for an air dock for anything with legs. It has had a few name changes and at various times here in South East Qld been called Squid, Watch Dog and Short Black. Just had a look on Boatpoint and it is actually the sistership Rod Bender which was from Coffs or Pt Mac I think. OB26 was for sale a while back. Single screw Cummins with bow thruster and a tower based on a Haines Formula hull. I believe the CJH26 is for sale again. Bridge deck with twin diesel screws but he would be over the $200K mark. Any of those bridge deck Cairns Custom Crafts are good bits of gear I think. Maybe finish off the 30' Pleysier with the Beluga drive. Not sure where it is. You could always buy my boat as an inbetween sort of boat. Rides like a big boat but is only single screw. Scott Thorington's old Griffin Freedom is a nice single screw thing with bow thruster. Under $100K with a 440 Yanmar. Dunno, just throwing things out there.

How much are pens where you are? Can you go on a hard stand with one of those fork lifts? Swing moorings?

Putting other things out there, the most successful game boat I know is Reel Capture which is a 7.2Kevlacat with twin 170 Yanmars. Craig Pollamounter the footy players boat pops up from time to time and it is the sistership. Keep and eye out for it. There is a commercial crab boat one for sale at the moment on a trailer that is nearly the same too. Another boat to look for from the states is Luhrs did a 25' centre cab with twin 170 Yanmar shafts. A guy in our club has one of these he picked up cheap and is still decking it out and it owes him about $60K AUD so far with a bit more to go.

Offshore 79
24-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Im not sure if your keen on cats there is a nice noosa cat 3100 with twin Suzies you could easily hard stand it or leave it in the water it would be an extreemly stable platform for the wife and kids its on boat point for 139000 it may be worth alook

Drew70
24-01-2012, 07:41 AM
As another option I have a 28' Flybridge sharkcat for sale on the water at Buddina that was an ex game / snapper boat in survery south australia. Its Short lockup cab version giving a massive flat deck space. Its sits high in the water compared to most sharkcats giving an even better ride is choppy gear. Currently two stroke low hour powered but could easily by upgrade when need to 4 strokes. Has game bases but no poles. At troling speeds its very stable on the water.

Blackened
24-01-2012, 08:17 AM
G'day

If it's any good to you... I know of a 3500 kevlacat twin shaft drive diesels, mid to late 90's to be on the market very shortly for about the $70-$80k mark.

Dave

The Woo
24-01-2012, 09:43 AM
G'day

If it's any good to you... I know of a 3500 kevlacat twin shaft drive diesels, mid to late 90's to be on the market very shortly for about the $70-$80k mark.

Dave

Really? I'd love first option on that Dave........

julian1
24-01-2012, 09:53 PM
If cost is your issue, not much middle ground other than a 28' Bertie with the 230/240 Yanmar repower. Other than that, you are back to trailerboat land as soon as you go away from twin diesel shaft drives. 2400 Kevlacats, old Haines Hunters done up, US import etc.

You could get that green towered 26' Black Watch with the tower and Volvo leg but then you are up for an air dock for anything with legs. It has had a few name changes and at various times here in South East Qld been called Squid, Watch Dog and Short Black. Just had a look on Boatpoint and it is actually the sistership Rod Bender which was from Coffs or Pt Mac I think. OB26 was for sale a while back. Single screw Cummins with bow thruster and a tower based on a Haines Formula hull. I believe the CJH26 is for sale again. Bridge deck with twin diesel screws but he would be over the $200K mark. Any of those bridge deck Cairns Custom Crafts are good bits of gear I think. Maybe finish off the 30' Pleysier with the Beluga drive. Not sure where it is. You could always buy my boat as an inbetween sort of boat. Rides like a big boat but is only single screw. Scott Thorington's old Griffin Freedom is a nice single screw thing with bow thruster. Under $100K with a 440 Yanmar. Dunno, just throwing things out there.

How much are pens where you are? Can you go on a hard stand with one of those fork lifts? Swing moorings?

Putting other things out there, the most successful game boat I know is Reel Capture which is a 7.2Kevlacat with twin 170 Yanmars. Craig Pollamounter the footy players boat pops up from time to time and it is the sistership. Keep and eye out for it. There is a commercial crab boat one for sale at the moment on a trailer that is nearly the same too. Another boat to look for from the states is Luhrs did a 25' centre cab with twin 170 Yanmar shafts. A guy in our club has one of these he picked up cheap and is still decking it out and it owes him about $60K AUD so far with a bit more to go.
Smithy are you selling the Capricorn now ? What's the next upgrade ? Something bigger ?

Smithy
24-01-2012, 10:52 PM
All boats are for sale for the right price as you know Julian! Would love Freedom as the next step up being a little bit bigger and with a bow thruster. That 2700 NC has gotten cheaper too.

rustymarlin
26-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks for all the info gents very informative. With the 27 noosa cat what sort of fuel burn do you see for the day when say you trael 24m to the shelf troll luures all day then back and the same for live baiting. I see that they have a decent cabin model that amy be ok .

Offshore 79
26-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I picked up my brand new 2700 from Noosa Cat 2 days before Xmas it has yamaha 150 four strokes our fist trip with four blokes on board was 93 nm trip out of the tweed we fished and trolled for around 10 hrs and had an hour and 20 min run home against 5knt of current and used a total of 210lt I was more than happy and they should get better once they run

julian1
26-01-2012, 05:30 PM
I have a 2700 Noosacat with a pair of 175 Suzukies and run 30nm to the shelf and troll 7hrs and run 30nm home and use around 200ltrs it works out around 1ltr to 1km or just over 2ltr per nm combined