PDA

View Full Version : Stricken Coast Guard rescue boat in need of cash lifesaver.

QF3 MROCP
19-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Redcliffe Coast Guard is calling for help after it's flagship boat was grounded needing a $70,000 engine refurbishment.

Redcliffe Commander Col Ward admitted the maintenance requirement could not have come at a worst time.

"The vessel allows Coast Guard Redcliffe to offer vital help whenever and wherever needed" Mr Ward said.

Last year, for example, Coast Guard Redcliffe carried out 83 vital medical evacuations from Tangalooma and they already estimate more than 100 are likely to be performed this year.

Another example of the worked performed by the vessel is contained in the video recording below showing it assisting the Kookaburra Queen during the peak of the Brisbane floods 12 months ago.

1BHQ6DO5p0s

Further details, please contact:
Merv Porteous - Deputy Commander
m: 0428 854 688
or email: dfc.qf3@coastguard.com.au

wags on the water
19-01-2012, 11:32 PM
If Mark R wants to help the fisherfolk - then this is the time to SHOW IT.

wirlybird
20-01-2012, 09:08 AM
You guys do a wonderful job and i would have thought that the government would have coughed up some cash from the millions of donations that both i and many other people gave at a trying time.

As a former tug master/salvage operator this video disturbs me in more ways than one im glad no one was hurt in the process.

finga
20-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes. Yes it is.
But not just for the fisher folk.
These people from VMR's and Coast Guard help a lot more people then just those with boats.

Just imagine how much money all the rescue vessels saved Governments during last years floods. And that is only one occurrence.
Now is the time to give some back. Especially seeing what the QLD does waste a hell of a lot of money on. One example....more then $9,000,000 spent on advertising last July.
Makes the $70,000 to keep this rescue vessel going sound mighty cheap doesn't it??
http://lnp.org.au/news/waste-watch/labor-splurges-on-ads-as-families-tighten-belts

Tickleish
20-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Gotta love how Mark gets the blame for spending/not spending the goverment money.

wags on the water
20-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Gotta love how Mark gets the blame for spending/not spending the goverment money.
Are you his neighbour ? Can you explain how "he gets the blame"?

fishfeeder
20-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Perfect example of the way this pathetic government allocates its funds..

Look at the prison riots.

Look at the amount of coin was WASTED getting the 3 knobs off the Japanese ship..

How about all the Pollies agree to NOT PRINT FLYERS for the upcoming election, There is the funding for over a year to all the VMR's

Tickleish
20-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah I'm his neighbor.

Mossy247
20-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Sad but true, allocations of funds is a joke. Reckon we loose millions in failed or poorly planned govt initiatives and no one is accountable that's the issue. Why are the fat cats getting pay rises when they don't meet any key performance indicators. You know 1% of a couple ministers pay cheques would fund the boat repairs.

The Woo
20-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Peter, what happened? How was the vessel grounded?

Apologies if I've missed something......

Moonlighter
20-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Wags....

Perhaps you don't understand how our parliamentary democracy works....you see, Mark Robinson MLA is in the Opposition. He would need to be in the majority party on the government benches before he could have a chance to commit to funding the work on this VMR boat.

If you're a Labor man, perhaps you would have been better off suggesting that whoever is the Minister responsible for maritime safety (this week, that would be Craig Wallace, I believe) in Anna's crumbling empire should take an interest in this issue and do something constructive for a change.

But perhaps Mr Wallace is too busy clearing out his desk and shredding files to do something constructive to in the portfolio that HE is actually responsible for???

Your comrade

ML

finga
20-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Perhaps you don't understand how our parliamentary democracy works....you see, Mark Robinson MLA is in the Opposition. He would need to be in the majority party on the government benches before he could have a chance to commit to funding the work on this VMR boat.
ML
Mark can speak out though can't he??
Make a media meal of it.....so to speak.
He seems to say a lot of other stuff the State and Federal Governments should be doing and what they should not be doing and how badly affected we are with Labor in power.

johncar
20-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Very frustrating indeed watching particularly this present Govt waste money state and fed i suggest you speak with your vote and or bang on doors right now.
Anyway it's not getting CG Redcliffe back on the water. A lot of members on here who rely on this voluntary service whether they know it or not so I hope we can all dig deep and continue to support the service. Don't wait on the Govt, I think we all know what priority they give to us Rec Boaties.

Where do all the squillions they suck off us for boat and trailer regos, GST, duties on all the sh$$$t that we buy?? Plus they are selling off everything that makes any money, should get a good price for Qld Transport..

wags on the water
20-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Wags....

If you're a Labor man, perhaps you would have been better off suggesting that whoever is the Minister responsible for maritime safety (this week, that would be Craig Wallace, I believe) in Anna's crumbling empire should take an interest in this issue and do something constructive for a change.

But perhaps Mr Wallace is too busy clearing out his desk and shredding files to do something constructive to in the portfolio that HE is actually responsible for???

Your comrade

ML

ML,

With the threads started on this forum on how voting for the LNP will help the fishing fraternity - maybe this is a bloody good way of showing it. We were all screwed last year - "There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead." So how about the pollies (BOTH SIDES) who want our votes do something constructive and worthwhile with our money.

Cheers.

Homer_Jay
20-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Well... Mr Mark says that the current govenment is screwing us with higher regos, yet his response to that "we will freeze the rego payments" (YES AT THE HIGHER PRICE) So, what I take by that is Mr Mark saying "I am going to screw you too and I agree that the labor government screwing you is a good thing" (if he didnt think that he would be saying he is going to reverse the last hike)

NOW, seeing as though you Mr Mark are going to continue to screw us with our higher rego's, now is your chance to say "hey, yes we need the money, and we are going to pump some funds BACK into the boating world"
Tell us about how you plan to support the Volunteer groups?? Tell us about the better facilities our money is going to be used for??

No, Mr Mark is not in power, (we know what the current govenment does and doesnt do for us, we have had them for many years now) but it time to put up why the LNP is REALLY going to be better off for us.

Here is a good start. What is the LNP plans for the Coastguard/VMR funding??
As mentioned, this isnt only about fishing folk, they support anyone anywhere on the water.

PinHead
20-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Peter, what happened? How was the vessel grounded?

Apologies if I've missed something......

I think he meant the vessel has been grounded (as in not in use) until the works are carried out. Not as in run aground.

PinHead
20-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Redcliffe Coast Guard is calling for help after it's flagship boat was grounded needing a $70,000 engine refurbishment.

Redcliffe Commander Col Ward admitted the maintenance requirement could not have come at a worst time.

"The vessel allows Coast Guard Redcliffe to offer vital help whenever and wherever needed" Mr Ward said.

Last year, for example, Coast Guard Redcliffe carried out 83 vital medical evacuations from Tangalooma and they already estimate more than 100 are likely to be performed this year.

Another example of the worked performed by the vessel is contained in the video recording below showing it assisting the Kookaburra Queen during the peak of the Brisbane floods 12 months ago.

1BHQ6DO5p0s

Further details, please contact:
Merv Porteous - Deputy Commander
m: 0428 854 688
or email: dfc.qf3@coastguard.com.au

shouldn't the resort be paying handsomely for this ? Does the resort have a resident medical officer? perhaps they should try helicopters if they cannot fund the water evacautions with a large donation.

Moonlighter
20-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Comrade Wags

Of course you are right.....

How foolish it was of me to think that Minister Wallace would be the first one that VMR Redcliffe should go to for help, or even to their local Labor MP Lillian Van Litzenburg to ask her to make representations with her Ministerial colleague on their behalf??

Please accept my humble apologies for my stupidity in even thinking that there would be any chance of those two doing something useful to address this situation.

As you infer, their best chance would of course be to go to the Opposition spokesperson for Fisheries & Marine Infrastructure. He might just deliver, although of course by the time Capt Bligh calls an election, who knows how many lives will be put at risk if she goes past her 3 year mandate in March and clutches desperately onto power until mid June??

But there is a bit of a problem with that idea of yours that I should point out : Ministers always avoid at all costs doing anything that the opposition advocates for, even if it is patently obvious that it needs to be done. So Mark advocating for support for VMR could, perversely, end up being counter-productive to the cause anyway. Did you think of that? No, I thought not.

At least Mark hasnt yet had the opportunity to prove himself as totally incompetent in spending our hard earned tax $ and our boat regos etc - like messrs Wallace and co have already done. So he might just deliver, you never know, given the opportunity.

Like many other former staunch Labor voters, I have concluded that this current lot shouldnt be trusted with a 5 yr old's lunch money any longer, let alone the state budget. I'm prepared to give Mark and his mob a go because, frankly, I think they will struggle to do any worse.

Best regards, comrade!

ML

Triple
20-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Is this the boat with the twin suzi 300's?

mod2
20-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Gentlemen. This is a G rated site with most threads available for public viewing hence profanities are not acceptable. I have edited certain posts to delete these. Please refrain from using these in your posts. PLUS, the personal jibes are getting close to locking of the thread. Refrain from these also please.

tunaticer
20-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Instead of the argy bargy, what is the best way for each of us to help out if we wish to?
Is there a dedicated donation portal for Redcliffe CG?

I am going down there over the weekend to drop a few bucks in the tin towards the 70k required.

I thought the original post was directed at us, the fishermen and boaties of the local area to help out rather than raising a political shitfight??

fisho8
20-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Is this the boat with the twin suzi 300's?

No mate this is a Noosa cat with twin deisel engines. They rely on this boat alot for it's towing power. I take my son up to the scarbrough ramp all the time as he likes watching the boats go out as I do aswell. This boat was out all the time..they would be suffering without it big time. I am not going to get started on this government and what I think it but from what I have been told there is still millions of dollars in donations invested at very high interest. I might write old anna a letter about this I think and see what response I get worth a go I reckon.

Triple
20-01-2012, 06:00 PM
No mate this is a Noosa cat with twin deisel engines. They rely on this boat alot for it's towing power.

Cheers, Saw op had stated flagship boat and thought it might of been their listed primary vessel kevlacat.

Redcliffe Rescue vessels

Primary Vessel - CG32
9.7m Kevlacat
2 X 300 HP Suzuki 4stroke Outboards
Equipment - Radar, GPS Chart Plotter, Sounder, VHF & 27 MHz. Marine Radios
Duration - 10 hours at 30 Knots
Secondary Vessel - Redcliffe Leagues II (CG31)
4100 Series Noosa Cat
2 X 350 HP D6 Volvo Diesel Sterndrives
Equipment - Radar, GPS Chart Plotter, Sounder, VHF & 27 MHz. Marine Radios
Duration - 25 hours at 27 Knots
Inshore Rescue Vessel - Freight Plus (CG33)
6m Hydrofield
2 X 115 HP Yamaha 4stroke Outboards
Equipment - GPS, Sounder,
VHF & 27 MHz. Marine Radios
Duration - 6 Hours at 25 Knots
Inshore Rescue Vessel - CG34
4.65m Stabicraft
1 X 50 HP Johnson 4stroke Outboard
Equipment - GPS, Sounder,
VHF Marine Radio
Foreshore Rescue Vessel - CG35
Naiad 3.8 Metre RIB
1 X 30 HP Mercury Outboard
Duration - 3 Hours at 15 Knots

gruntahunta
20-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Ok...Where is the donation tin...we certainly need this boat on the water.... Peter, has both diesel engines failed?...this is unusual or has something gone wrong and damaged them?

wags on the water
20-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Now about the donation tin....These organisations need money - so let's all put money in - ALL = everyone, including the governments. I do my bit in donating money to the VMR/Coastguards so all I'm saying is why shouldn't the government put in as well?

Tailortaker
20-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Here's the donation tin. We should all dig deep and help out. Just select REDCLIFFE QF3
http://www.coastguard.com.au/donate.html

fisho8
20-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I have just spoken to the assistant general Manager at Northside Marine this afternoon who lives out here on the penninsula about a donation tin in the dealership. I will also be going to see cunninghams tomorrow and let them know aswell and will be calling nova 106.9 fm tomorrow to see if they can mention something on the radio about it and or do a radio show out at scarbrough to try and raise money for this. I am also going to email one of the big bosses in where I work (Suncorp Insurance) to see if they can do anything to contribute aswell. I really do not want to make a media circus out of this but It might just get a message out there that these guys are here for us when we need them so why cannot the boating community be behinnd them just like any other non profit organisation. It might make the government and the businesses in the local area who's own boats to get behind them to seeing as though there is an election coming up.

xxxxhornet
20-01-2012, 09:14 PM
hey guys lets not forget VMR - they run alternate bases up and down the coast with CG and are in the same boat financially if not worse. If you need rescuing it doesnt matter if its a yellow or a white boat, whichever one/base is closer will tasked by the water police

QF3 MROCP
20-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Here's the donation tin. We should all dig deep and help out. Just select REDCLIFFE QF3

Thanks everyone for the comments and willingness to help out. I would just like to comment on a few Q&A's you have lodged;

1. The story was released in the local newspaper as a community announcement about our plight and was certainly not published for political benefit.
2. The Tanga's resort on the island is not directly linked to any operational matters regarding evcuations (they are a great help though). As all the local VMR/AVCGA bases know, we are activated for Qld Ambulance Service via Water Police. We are all a service provider to those departments and are $ compensated for the vessel running costs.
3. The vessel is not the kevlacat / 2x300. It's our older vessel the Nossa Cat - commonly known as RL2.
4. The media word "grounding" was not as Pinhead suggested a vessel grounding on the seabed - it's in dry dock and out of service.
5. Please, if you are thinking of a donation or know of any shallow pockets - big hearts, then let Merv our DFC know on the mobile phone in the original thread or phone and leave a message at the base on 3203 5522. We are there from 06:00 - 21:00 Mon/Thursday & x24hrs Friday/Sun till 21:00

6. As Mod has asked, please keep the political comments out, it would be disappointing to have this thread closed.
7. The donation link in this thread goes to National Level, so it's best to place tax donations with Merv - as in line 5
8. We have been around now for over 35 years in the "Bay" region and experienced other setbacks during that time - we'll be here for another 30.. .

Thanks again for such a response everyone.

rocklobster
20-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Both sides of government are hopeless . Professional politicians who coulnt give a rats ars about anything but themselves . Ambulance cover is paid for by your council property rates .Why not VMR . . All emergency services seem to have endless funds. If our politicians who travel overseas didnt take their hairdressers with them , the redcliffe Coast Guard could probably have 2 vessels

3rd degree
20-01-2012, 11:12 PM
A mate runs a pub out that way, and I have asked him what they can do to support the CG....

I'm not a member, but will certainly sign up to offer my support....

cheers
Jim

Moonlighter
21-01-2012, 08:54 AM
I joined my local VMR at Raby Bay several years ago, just sent in my renewal for this year a couple of weeks ago. It is something we should all do, a bit like your RACQ membership really. The more who join up, the better!

Cheers

ML

gruntahunta
21-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Not sure if Redcliffe Coast Guard is in the area I will be frequenting the most but joined yesterday anyway. $55.00 is a small amount to help but if everyone who can did it, even for this once of year, $70,000 would become a lot more achievable.

TheSaint
21-01-2012, 10:03 AM
With 106,965 members on the Ausfish site & if only half put in $2 WE could make something happen for the coast guard!!

The government won't do anything so why don't WE?

$2 isn't going to hurt the budget..

wirlybird
21-01-2012, 12:07 PM
i donate every time i buy something from BCF last time it was $50

QF3 MROCP
21-01-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks Tailortaker for the thread. I didn't realise that you could select a particular location.

http://www.coastguard.com.au/donate.html select REDCLIFFE QF3

gr hilly
21-01-2012, 05:35 PM
back in the early 1980s beenliegh air sea rescue had a caravan in a car park,we collected money at trafic lights got people to buy us bricks for $1 it was a big job and alot of top blokes put in big hours but the best day i remember was getting a donation of 2 sea farer boats it gives you a great fealing when this kind of thing happens, im to old and cranky now days to chase around knocking on doors maybe someone is not ?
cheers,Hilly