PDA

View Full Version : Boat safety ratings!!!!!

loozitt
19-01-2012, 12:33 PM
In the world of modern times, all our vechiles have certain safety ratings. Do our boats have safety ratings, are they tested buy any third body.

What makes one boat safer than another, or better than the other.....

What about design faults, I know of a boat manufacturer (not to mention) that has had a few of its boats capsized (definately something wrong there).... Is there a third body that tests designs, or is there a website, or a corparation that can tell me, information of particular model boats that have incidents, or faults, or things to be very aware of.

Every boat owner, speaks very highly about there own boat. But its not until many years after selling there old boat, do you find out the real information, that they appreciate, or not appreciate it.....

Jarrah Jack
19-01-2012, 01:04 PM
The main safety rating with any boat or car should be on the ability of the operator.

Some people could sink any boat, not naming names.;D

cormorant
19-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah a very seaworthy cat went bilge up off Palm Beach with 9 divers on it yesterday. Only a smallish swell happening and professionals on board???

Hell we don't need more rules but good companies are definately explaining their seaworthy designs and safety features.

Tickleish
19-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Couldn't agree more with the above two comments, Their always seems to be alot of cat roll overs and I think some of it is to do with inexperienced boaties buying them because of their well deserved reputation but in the wrong hands they can be just as deadly.

PS, just because I mentioned cats does not mean I'm referring to the one mentioned above in cormorants post.

Moonlighter
19-01-2012, 06:08 PM
The answer to the OPs question is no, there is no independent body that tests boats for safety, faults or nothing else.

The closest we get is the floatations statements on the Builders Plate. Even that is determined by the manufacturer, not an independant authority.

Before you can test something along the lines of what we are talking about here, you first need a "standard" that you can measure it against objectively. We have the Australian standard for recreational boats, but no- one tests anything against it as far as I know.

The best you can do is lots of research, ask questions on invaluable forums such as Ausfish, and pick something that's been around for long enough to establish its reputation.

And even then, in the wrong or inexperienced hands, anything can and does, happen.

Cheers

ML