PDA

View Full Version : Gladstone crocs?

clevelandv8
18-01-2012, 09:07 PM
just a quick question, are there crocs outside off gladstone?
only reason is i got a pic from a friend who said they were in gladstone and it's of a floating croc about 3 metres long?????

wags on the water
18-01-2012, 09:31 PM
There's a recent pic of a crocolog in Mackay Harbour - about said length.

snodger77
18-01-2012, 11:43 PM
i wouldnt be suprised ive herd some old tales of one once bieng caught in the logan river years ago
i dont know if there is any truth to it though

clevelandv8
19-01-2012, 12:57 AM
ok, i've not got any idea about the area but there is background in the photo i will post at work tomorrow.... thought i might have been "led on" but will show tomorrow at work.
cheers for the answers, didn't think they'd be THAT far south!!

NoBananas
19-01-2012, 01:16 AM
I've heard a couple stories of crocs at the Logan too. Last month a Barra was caught in the Logan :o

wags on the water
19-01-2012, 02:26 AM

clevelandv8
19-01-2012, 02:36 AM
ok it must be a myth thats the pic there.... sorry for sharing my being conned if its an old pic.... damn her!!!!!!!!

pipifin
19-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Cant see why they wouldn't be as far south as Gladstone. A year or so ago there were a couple on the beach at Yeppoon, not far to swim from there.... although I wouldn't try it. Croc sightings on the north western tip of Fraser too. Aren't there croc signs on the Boyne river?
The ones in Yeppoon were probably from the farm though, when they get a lot of rain they always seem to have less on display

rainbowrascal
19-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I read that from a survey/study done some months back that the first positive signs of crocs were in the boyne river. In 2010 there were sightings in the Great Sandy Straits not once but half a dozen times. After that signs were put up everywhere including River Heads and Fraser Island. I would be wary at all the creeks, rather be cautious than becoming a meal. There is also no reason why they should not be offshore if there is a food source, a spearfisherman was taken in North Qld recently whilst spearfishing offshore.

wags on the water
19-01-2012, 10:37 AM
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife-ecosystems/wildlife/living_with_wildlife/crocodiles/crocwatch/2010-archive-confirmed.html

http://203.8.128.204/wildlife-ecosystems/wildlife/living_with_wildlife/crocodiles/crocwatch/2011-archive-unconfirmed.html

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2009/12/09/croc-sighted-at-lammermoor-beach/

wags on the water
19-01-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife-ecosystems/wildlife/living_with_wildlife/crocodiles/crocwatch/2011-archive-confirmed.html

MEGA'bite
19-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Clev v8 i lived in tannum sands back in 1990 until 92, there in the boyne river up near the rail bridge and also in south trees inlet. i have first hand experience in south trees inlet. i know someone very close to me that used to use square hooks in that area, one evening one about 1.5 to 2 mtrs became interested in the fish which had been caught by the square hooks and proceded to remove the fish and the net swimming away with it . Yes they are in gladstone.

bundylundy
19-01-2012, 09:39 PM
There was a repot on the local news the other night about a croc on the sand flat in front of the 1770 camping ground. It looked quite real from a distance on TV but was only a 2m plastic replica some campers had brought along for a little holiday fun. Some people have a warped sense of humour.

Jeff

Yellowjack
19-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I remember when there was a sighting at nudgee beach of a crocodile that the free paper you get on the trains and buses in brisbane city (mX i think its called) did an article and had a picture similiar to this mocking it.

Croc Sighted at Nudgee Beach

http://i42.tinypic.com/nzg8wx.jpg

You get the idea lol

GBC
20-01-2012, 07:55 AM
According to the sites Wags posted:
1. Tannum Sands is a known crocodile habitat according to DERM, and
2. Officers saw the croc tracks returning to the ocean at Facing Island.

So yes, I'd say theres a half decent chance there's crocs at Gladstone.

Floating Rib
20-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Dont know about recent times but doing some work at the Hideaway hotel in Tiaro (just south of Maryborough) several years ago there is a historic photo on the wall of a big lizard that was caught in the Mary River, no real reason for it to be a conn as i said very old photo but thats a long way south.

Pazz01
20-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Jesus, that unconfirmed report of one at Moore Reef Pontoon on the Great barrier Reef off cairns is a good 30 mile away. You never know where the barstards will be.

Camhawk88
20-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Yep they will move a long way off Shore. The Tiwi Islands(Melville and Bathurst) are approximately 80km off the coast and they have heaps of big salties. I would have no doubt they would be found in the Gladstone area. There is no physical barriers to stop them getting down that far as long as there is a sustained run of high temps I see no reason they cant get to Brisbane.

ifishcq1
20-01-2012, 09:44 PM
There is a stack of crocs around Rocky and Yeppoon in every waterway including the narrows which runs down to Gladstone harbour
I have got photos of them all over the area including a 3m fella at wild cattle creek south of Tannum Sands but they are definitely a bit shy in heavily used waters
cheers

googarra
21-01-2012, 07:59 AM
If you can believe the global warming debate and sea temps rise just that little, like the cane toad, they were slowly work their way south. They need warmth to survive, why they bask in the sun on sand banks

Jacksta
22-01-2012, 09:51 AM
The ocean temp is getting warmer of course they are coming down. I have seen croc trails on mudflats in the passage. I'd be more concerned about them being down here sooner rather than later.