PDA

View Full Version : MARKHAM DOMINATOR 4.3M ...feedback please!!

insideout
17-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi again all, need to pick your brains again.. can anybody give me feedback on these little cats? Good and bad is needed for me to help make up my mind, so dont be shy. Thanks!

The Woo
17-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Great little boat if you're not too heavy, and don't expect too much of it just because it's a cat. It's 4.3 mtres, and isn't meant for punching through bars.

They're quite weight and trim sensitive.

Having said that, I would absolutely love to own one, with a pair of new 30hp engines on the back. The singles are ok, but you can't trim them as well as a twin rig.

A mate of mine in Tassie owns one and would sell, but cost is prohibitive to get it to Qld.

frankgrimes
17-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey mate - john buoy on here has(Or did have) the 4.9 and rates it highly...dont think hes fond of the 4.3 though(porpoises apparently)...might be worthwhile flicking him a pm.

Mick

perko
17-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Hi Dan, I had one with twin 30 hp once. Not a bad boat but light years behind your Borger. It use to porpoise a bit and was pretty slow.

hilta1
17-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Hey Perko,did you have a kevlacat 2400?

perko
17-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Yep, had way too many boats. Sold the KC and bought insideout's borger a few months ago.

hilta1
17-01-2012, 06:56 PM
can i ask the reson you sold the kevlacat?

perko
17-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Sold it due to lack of use. I have done more hours in the borger in 3 months than I did in 2 years in the KC. Not the same quality of fishing now in the smaller cat but average fishing is way better than no fishing.

Catweb
17-01-2012, 08:27 PM
The 4.3 Dominator is an entirely different hull to the old 4.3 Whaler. Can't say if any better however as not been in one. Did own a 4.9 years back and it was OK but used to take greenies over the nose at sounding speed. It sat very low in the drink particularly in the nose. Many a wet day in the old girl was had.

insideout
18-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Missing that boat like crazy perko! But can only spend a little due to house going up this year...hence looking at little cats ect!

catcrab
19-01-2012, 07:33 PM
hi, i had one of the older 4.3's markham i think they were a bit narrower than the dominators, anyway very weight sensitive, i rolled mine over in moderate conditions, i had 4 people on board, and a mistake by me in trimming the motors, one hull dug in, a shift in passenger weight because of the mistake, a strong gust of breeze under the the exposed hull and walla she just rolled over. imo a ok little craft for 1 or max 2 up once you master her round hulls. i also had a webster and it was streets ahead of the markham in all aspects.
Drew.

John Buoy
20-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi again all, need to pick your brains again.. can anybody give me feedback on these little cats? Good and bad is needed for me to help make up my mind, so dont be shy. Thanks!
The Good ,Stability Gr8 for a 4.3mt craft punches above its weight as most 4.3 monos could fit inside it,
gets up on the plane effortlessly, soft when driven correctly, has the security of twin everything!!
The bad most owners forget they are a 4.3mt, do have porpoising issues due to weighted sterns,
Short nosing water over the top when on the troll.
Other than that handy little weapon for it's size !!
Regards frank