PDA

View Full Version : parsun outboard

Ryan the slayer
14-01-2012, 05:25 PM
hi everyone as most of you will probably have read i am in the market for a new 40hp outboard i would prefere a merc just because of there price and the 5 years warrenty but as i started to look i have found out that i can not get one until the end of next month was just wondering if anyone has a parsun out there and wants to tell me what they think of them. i have found heeps of old 08-09 forums about them on google saying you get what you pay for but nothing since than? i am in the markert dfmnjfvbmknknmsdfksndvfkjfnsd

Noelm
14-01-2012, 05:28 PM
my local dealer has 5 40HP Mercs "lightnings" in stock, why can't you get one sooner?

nigelr
14-01-2012, 07:15 PM
buy a 40hp Tohatsu

Ryan the slayer
14-01-2012, 09:41 PM
buy a 40hp Tohatsu
yeah might be worth a look at

winston
14-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Telwater markets Parsun outboards as Vortex. Same motor, different badge. If you want one, see a Telwater ( Quintrex, Savage, Stacer and Archer) dealer and check the price. Cheers Winston.

joey_1987
15-01-2012, 12:36 AM
40hp Merc Lightning XR and Tohatsu 40hp are same engine, just different badging. Other difference will be warranty, but they use them to race zapcats at 100km/h and flog them. Doubt you'll have any issues, Merc 5 yr warranty Tohatsu I think 2 or 3, worth double checking prices.

krazyfisher
15-01-2012, 06:14 AM
I too would look at the tohatsu

tunaticer
15-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Tohatsu are no longer Nissan engines or has Mercury adopted the Nissan make too?

Blackened
15-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Tohatsu are no longer Nissan engines or has Mercury adopted the Nissan make too?

Any Japanese made Merc is a Tohatsu.

I have a 2011 50 Tohey and it's identical to the jap mercs. (but it's that purple blue black color of course) Bit like their technology agreements with yamaha/mariner back in the 80's.

Dave

chaspion01
19-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I own a 15hp Parsun 2 stroke. Was more than a little weary at the beginning but took the plunge and bought one after a lengthy deciding period.
I have owned Mercury and Yamaha outboards prior so know them well, the Parsun has been bloody brilliant and hasn't missed a beat since I bought it. She has plenty of use and has sat in the garage for a coule of months along the way, starts first or second pull regardless. Maybe I got a good one but I wouldn't swap it for anything else.
My opinion based on experience........

cehart
19-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I own a 15hp Parsun 2 stroke. Was more than a little weary at the beginning but took the plunge and bought one after a lengthy deciding period.
I have owned Mercury and Yamaha outboards prior so know them well, the Parsun has been bloody brilliant and hasn't missed a beat since I bought it. She has plenty of use and has sat in the garage for a coule of months along the way, starts first or second pull regardless. Maybe I got a good one but I wouldn't swap it for anything else.
My opinion based on experience........

Hows the availability of parts when it requires work?

chaspion01
19-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Absolutely fine mate as they are Yammie parts

cehart
19-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Absolutely fine mate as they are Yammie parts

Good to know I was under the impression that they were chinese hence dubious quality ala great wall and spares issues

ozscott
19-01-2012, 10:21 PM
They are Chinese. We're they designed to accept yammy impellers etc?

centrefire
20-01-2012, 12:52 AM
cehart, which parts on your Great Wall have you found to be of dubious quality?
I'd appreciate your input, as I've had no problem whatsoever from mine in nine months.
Perhaps I've been lucky so far!

Cheers
Vaughn.

chaspion01
20-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Lucky you have been then! My Great Wall drove like a dream, held the road, no body roll, decent power (when you got used to it)
Was off the road for a month however on its first service 1,000kms as the brakes failed and the rear diff blew its seals. Parts came from China and took 4 weeks. Didn't miss a beat when it was repaired but left a bad taste anyway.
No such issues with the outboard though

Bull
20-01-2012, 06:59 AM
I have a 15hp parson on my tinny(impulse buy LOL).It starts first pull most times and has never let me down. It has corrosion in the leg that Im not happy with and the cowling is to lite and flimsy. Im not sure if I would recommend them to anyone though.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers Bull

The Woo
20-01-2012, 08:16 AM
I'd like confirmation or clarification from someone if they actually use Yamaha parts.

I've perused the images of the Parsuns, and I'm not seeing anything that looks Yamaha post 1985.......

I also wonder if you can actually get a Parsun apart after a year or two, or are they like some of the horrible 80's spec Jap outboards that were bolted together without any lube anywhere, with cad plated steel bolts and fine threads? Suzuki and Yamaha of that era needed heat for virtually everything to get them apart.

centrefire
20-01-2012, 11:24 AM
It blew it's rear diff seals and the brakes failed on it's first 1000km service! What in the name of god did they do to it there at the 1000km service? I'd be wanting some answers.
Was it a V, SX series 1 or 2?

Decent power only happens from around 6000km or so, from my experince. Improves a bit again at 9000km.

Oh well, we live and learn.

BM
20-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I'd like confirmation or clarification from someone if they actually use Yamaha parts.

I've perused the images of the Parsuns, and I'm not seeing anything that looks Yamaha post 1985.......

I also wonder if you can actually get a Parsun apart after a year or two, or are they like some of the horrible 80's spec Jap outboards that were bolted together without any lube anywhere, with cad plated steel bolts and fine threads? Suzuki and Yamaha of that era needed heat for virtually everything to get them apart.

If I recall correctly the Parsun's were originally advertised as being "80% compatible with Yamaha".

Check the dealer network and most importantly spare parts supply held in Australia.

cehart
20-01-2012, 04:21 PM
cehart, which parts on your Great Wall have you found to be of dubious quality?
I'd appreciate your input, as I've had no problem whatsoever from mine in nine months.
Perhaps I've been lucky so far!

Cheers
Vaughn.

I dont have a great wall but a toyota but aquantancies that have then as TOT vehicles has indicated that they are not all that reliable but then again they are bulit to a price, comparable models in the known japanese brands do cost considerably more.

Thats good to hear that you are getting a good run, goes a long way to disputing the reputation that a lot of chinese products have

centrefire
20-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Ahh... so what you've heard is all heresy, cehart. Good, you had me worried there for awhile.
Most everything is built to a price now days, including Toyota. Perhaps that would explain their recent recalls...who really knows?
What I do know is that I can neither afford Toyota prices nor do I condone them, hence my Great Wall.
Oh woe is me.

cehart
20-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Ahh... so what you've heard is all heresy, cehart. Good, you had me worried there for awhile.
Most everything is built to a price now days, including Toyota. Perhaps that would explain their recent recalls...who really knows?
What I do know is that I can neither afford Toyota prices nor do I condone them, hence my Great Wall.
Oh woe is me.

Ah yes but your great wall probably cost more than my second hand Toyota, let me know how you go after 400K

mr_boats
22-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi Ausfishers

My name is Garry from Island Marine. We are the australian distributors for the Parsun outboard range. Maybe I can help with some of the questions and urban myths.
I'll give a quick run down on the parsun's We have now been selling then in australia for over 6 years now. We currently have 40+ dealers and have sold over 3000 units.
The spare parts are in stock all you need to do is give us a call. Yes the spare parts are interchangable with some yamaha models and some Tohatsu models. They are around 95% compatible and the prices are very cheap. We now have yammy dealers buying spare from us for servicing thier yammy's because you can buy a complete water pump kit including impellor, housing, stianlees steel insert and wear plate plus gaskets for the same price as just a yammy impellor buy itself.
The other thing to keep in mind is the parts and models suit the lastest yammy and tohatsu motors NOT the early 80's models. For some reason people think they have been copied from the 80's models engines which just doesn't make sense. Why would you copy older technology?
If anyone has any questions they would like to ask me please feel free to.
Thanks
Garry

ozscott
22-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I wonder if those Yammy dealers that are said to buy water pump kits from Parsun are telling their clients that they are cheap Parsun Chinese parts going into those expensive Japanese engines....if not and if I were the client I would be mighty upset.

Cheers

gazza2006au
23-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Ausfishers

My name is Garry from Island Marine. We are the australian distributors for the Parsun outboard range. Maybe I can help with some of the questions and urban myths.
I'll give a quick run down on the parsun's We have now been selling then in australia for over 6 years now. We currently have 40+ dealers and have sold over 3000 units.
The spare parts are in stock all you need to do is give us a call. Yes the spare parts are interchangable with some yamaha models and some Tohatsu models. They are around 95% compatible and the prices are very cheap. We now have yammy dealers buying spare from us for servicing thier yammy's because you can buy a complete water pump kit including impellor, housing, stianlees steel insert and wear plate plus gaskets for the same price as just a yammy impellor buy itself.
The other thing to keep in mind is the parts and models suit the lastest yammy and tohatsu motors NOT the early 80's models. For some reason people think they have been copied from the 80's models engines which just doesn't make sense. Why would you copy older technology?
If anyone has any questions they would like to ask me please feel free to.
Thanks
Garry

please post up some pictures of the parsun engines without the cowling on so we can compare the engines to the modern yamaha engines also if parsun is a copy of the modern yamaha engine it would be breaching the patent registered design by making a copy of someone elses engine im sure yamaha would have takin out a patent in china and hong kong

pipifin
23-01-2012, 11:31 AM
please post up some pictures of the parsun engines without the cowling on so we can compare the engines to the modern yamaha engines also if parsun is a copy of the modern yamaha engine it would be breaching the patent registered design by making a copy of someone elses engine im sure yamaha would have takin out a patent in china and hong kong

LOL @ patent in China...

chaspion01
24-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm sure that all "i's" have been dotted and "t's" crossed mate. You wouldnt get away with squat these days where patents are concerned

Shawn 66
24-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I wonder if those Yammy dealers that are said to buy water pump kits from Parsun are telling their clients that they are cheap Parsun Chinese parts going into those expensive Japanese engines....if not and if I were the client I would be mighty upset.

Cheers
I would go a bit further than that , I would be fing ropeable.
Shawn

pipifin
24-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a 15hp parson on my tinny(impulse buy LOL).It starts first pull most times and has never let me down. It has corrosion in the leg that Im not happy with and the cowling is to lite and flimsy. Im not sure if I would recommend them to anyone though.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers Bull

How long have you had the motor?

trev1
25-01-2012, 08:31 AM
The chinese have been makining these things (outboards and cars, ect) a lot longer than we know. Russia is loaded with them.We havent known about them mainly because we aren't a "traditional" market for these people, we are a "speculative" market for a lot of these goods that they are only recently testing the water with. If you look seriously into the origin of lots of your goods, it is very hard to buy "Japanese" any more. Your indonesian made Hilux, Spanish made Navara, Indonesian made Triton, ect are all wearing supposed Japanese badges.

A lot of people forget the looks you used to get turning up at the boatramp with anything other than an American outboard on a Quintrex towed by a Holden/Ford.

You'll always hear the bad before the good about something, and you can manipulate any statistics you want to put across the message you want (the government do it all the time)

Bull
25-01-2012, 09:44 AM
How long have you had the motor?

At least 2 years maybe 3
Ive also got a 2.5 hp one I use on my tender it runs well too.

chaspion01
26-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Had mine for approx 2 yrs, going great guns!

mr_boats
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Hello Ausfishers
Sorry for the slow reply I forgot to keep up on this thread.
Ok here you go Gazza here is some pictures of the parsun next to a LATE model yammy. See if you can pick the differences.

i78836

Chaspion1. You are completely correct about patients these days. These manufactures know the rules and how to get around them. I bet you'll never see a parsun being sold in japan.
Shawn 66. I'll bet the Yammay dealers aren't informing thier customers they are using Parsun parts. I'm sure they would have been doing this for years with after market parts like sierra parts. There's no problem with using sierra or parsun parts they are excellent quality but the fair thing to do for the customer would be passing the savings onto them.
I have some more pictures if anyone wants to see them. Maybe I can run a little competition on spot the difference for a couple of stubby holders.
Let me know readers if you would like me to do that?

LittleSkipper
12-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Mr_Boats

Attachments won't open? They appear to be invalid attachments specified.

mr_boats
13-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Oops sorry about that little skipper. I'll have anther crack at it.
http://i43.tinypic.com/23hn85f.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/257269t.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/33lk290.jpg

I hope this one works.
Garry

tricksgonefishing
23-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Garry would the transome clamps be the same as the yammy ones aswell?

LittleSkipper
24-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Ah well!...better late than never! looks like a rather neat, compact little outboard.

mr_boats
20-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi tricks onefishing sorry for the slow reply. I dont get much time to jump on here.
Yes the clamps would fit. We have them complete which means the clamp bracket with the clamp screw, screw handle and cup for $59- But its painted black =)

ozynorts
20-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey mr boats, when are we going to see bigger HP 4 stroke parsun's? If they are so close to Yamaha then it shouldn't be too hard to get the bigger sizes made.

mr_boats
20-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Ozynorts
Thanks for your question. The larger 4-strokes are a far way off, but the wheels are turning.
I dont think they are going to copy a yammy my guess is the 60hp Suzk....

ozynorts
20-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I was looking more in the 115 to 140hp range. :)

hino310
20-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey Mr boats

I have heard that the 75/90 hp Parsun is on its way to Australia. Is this true ?

Cheers Hino.

mr_boats
21-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Hino

Yes that is true. I've been waiting since August but I do have some samples (90hp) landing shortly for me to put through there tests. Then once I'm happy we'll release them in.
Australia. We test each new model ourselves before releasing them.
Ozynorts. They'll start with the 60hp 4-stroke and work there way up from there. But it'll be around 2 years before we see them.

Jabiru658
30-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Now that the 60, 75 and 90 horse 2 stroke Parsons are here I'm curious about the price. Are these larger motors still roughly 30% cheaper than their competition (as with the smaller 2 strokes) or has the price difference shrunk?

Bremic
30-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Fisherman & Boatowner's online magazine has prices listed, guess there will be variances between dealers, but it lists $7400 for the Parsun, $10k for the Yamaha (90hp).

I would post the link to the magazine but can't seem to copy and paste the URL.

davo
30-01-2014, 08:24 PM
My experiences with them suggests that if you shop around then there is not much price difference between Parsun and a name brand. I think you should wait and get the motor you want.

chocolatemoose
30-01-2014, 08:30 PM
parsun/vortex 15hp long shaft 2 stroke. about $1830-1850
Mercury 15hp "with 5 year warrnaty. and free oil" $1899......

seems like a no brainer to mee

davo
31-01-2014, 10:02 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about. I was looking at 25HP 4 strokes. Parsun was $4200 no nothing. Mercury 25HP 4 stroke with electric and trim and tilt $4700

Jabiru658
31-01-2014, 10:09 PM
I agree it's pointless buying a Parson if they are little cheaper than the established brands, I hadn't checked the prices on them for a couple of years and it appears from what people have posted that things have changed.

mr_boats
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi Guys

Interesting thread.
I'm the Australian distributor for the Parsun outboard motors. We are constantly checking our competitors pricing to make sure we are offering great deals. These prices above I've never heard of mercury 15hp long going for under $2000. Choccymouse can you please tell me where you got that quote from?
I’ll check it out and compare to our prices and get back to this thread. We haven’t changed our prices in 3 years. With the Australian dollar dipping to new lows it may force us to change our prices but I’m going to hold on as long as we can
Safe Boating
Garry