PDA

View Full Version : calamari cobe

carnster
13-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Paddled my local (GC) this morn on my trusty surf ski. It was pretty quiet until i caught a couple of squid on pillies and decided to put one down live. Nothing happened for at least an hour, but i had faith and kept slow trolling. Finally i hooked up and landed a 1.2m cobe. Had two hits and misses on the way back in. Fun times.

frankgrimes
13-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Nice work mate! How was it out there this morning? Any birds/mac's about?

Mick

blue_rogue
13-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Top effort Carnster... Nice Cobe

carnster
13-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Didn't see any macks caught this morn but i thought that the hits on the pillies on the way back in were macks. I have only caught a few macks and yft this year.

rabbi
13-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Could I have a couple of bucks worth of chips with that calamari and cobe please, and a slice of lemon;D

Bull
13-01-2012, 12:08 PM
well done you are a machine
cheers bull

pipifin
13-01-2012, 12:13 PM
The missus keeps telling me "size isn't everything"..... but jeeez I wish I needed a brag mat that big.

tropicrows
13-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Top effort. On the first picture is that the gaff thru the squid or the hook used the catch the cobe. ;D

carnster
13-01-2012, 12:30 PM
It is my gaff, i had a speculatory shot at him while he was hanging on to my pillie and got lucky twice considering how skinny they were. The second one was gaffed on the edge of his skin so he was really alive until he got smashed. Kept the first squid for dinner. The cobe had a small ray and 2 yakkas in his guts.

RAGINGBULL
13-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Last year caught a large Cobe, its stomach was full of small rays, puffer fish and
shovel nose sharks pretty odd I thought as these are all the spiky creatures
Nice Cobe and nothing like catching it on a Paddle ski
You do very well Carnster, in my younger yeas and in a different country that,s exactly how I fished and the results were much better in comparison to a boat, I recon its the noise that puts fish off some-times...
On a Kayak you are hands on and in touch with every-thing.

Cheers Mark

carnster
13-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Last year caught a large Cobe, its stomach was full of small rays, puffer fish and
shovel nose sharks pretty odd I thought as these are all the spiky creatures
Nice Cobe and nothing like catching it on a Paddle ski
You do very well Carnster, in my younger yeas and in a different country that,s exactly how I fished and the results were much better in comparison to a boat, I recon its the noise that puts fish off some-times...
On a Kayak you are hands on and in touch with every-thing.

Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark, sounds like another Safa? Plenty of my boets are south african. What sort of paddle ski did you have? Yak fishing is effective but tough compared to the luxury of a boat.

two dogs
13-01-2012, 09:14 PM
getting struck wildly like a couple of main oaks