PDA

View Full Version : What's the most popular thread that you've started on a fishing/boating forum?

Moonlighter
13-01-2012, 09:16 AM
OK, here's one where you can brag about how successful, controversial or whatever a thread that you started became on a boating or fishing chat side such as Ausfish, THT etc.

Some threads get no attention at all, others that you think a few people might be interested in end up attracting a big response! It is quite amazing what can happen from an innocent post.......

The primary measure of the popularity of your thread is how many views, and the secondary measure is how many replies your thread generated. Please put a link in your reply so we can have a look at your thread if we want to.

I will start it off with this thread that I started on our sister site in the USA, The Hull Truth, I thought a few people might be interested, but it has gone on and on and the level of interest has blown me away!

150 replies

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/286406-suzuki-nmea-2000-newtork-standard-suzuki-gauges-can-done.html

But I will bet that there will be at least 5 exec bashing threads that will beat that!

Here we go;;)

NAGG
13-01-2012, 11:26 AM
:DBragging rights hey ?

Well - let's not let this one drag out! ......I reckon I created it :-[ ...... certainly on this site

Ben Hur (Mondy Muster Part 1 & 2) ........ 3728 Posts & 115,961 views before it was (controversially) locked
I know at the time it was well ahead of the joke of the day. The Seignfeld of the forum world ;D

Chris

Shawn 66
13-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Does it really matter? Shawn

Mossy247
13-01-2012, 11:53 AM
What's the old saying. Quality not quantity LoL I don't think it really matters or a popularity contest. You could create numerous threads with titles to get the views. I know I don't care how many view replies I get.

Moonlighter
13-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Wow, Nagg, that killed my effort!

No sheepstations are on the line here, it's just a bit of fun guys, if you don't what to play, that's fine, feel free to post somewhere else by all means!

Cheers

ML

Mossy247
13-01-2012, 12:33 PM
hehehehe just playing ML. How would you grade a quality thread? As in I seen a few threads which go on and on and most of the time they are just stirring each other looking for bites. :-)

finga
13-01-2012, 01:40 PM
hehehehe just playing ML. How would you grade a quality thread? As in I seen a few threads which go on and on and most of the time they are just stirring each other looking for bites. :-)
Nooooooo. Your kidding me. Right?? ;)

pipifin
13-01-2012, 01:41 PM
It seems I am the brick wall of the "reply to thread" world. about 90% of the time I post a comment on someones thread, it seems to be the last from anyone.... Lets see if it rings true now.

Jason Killen
13-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Maybe your answers pipinfin are so eloquent and answer the question so well that others are afraid to answer for fear of embarassing themselves? :) I think a quality thread promotes a lot of discussion and provokes thought. In other circumstances a quality thread asks a valid question which can be answered quickly by a few and may answer questions that others have been afraid to ask but is not always long but gets to the point. My longest threads are still running which are a few of the polls it put up about favourite fish species and favourite tackle brands. I soon learnt that what I thought was quite an innocent poll created a bit of controversy and one of my polls made someone create a poll that bought up the question of the validity of polls altogether! I don't know if these were quality threads but it has been interesting to see peoples opinions and how they can differ so much within a group of people who have similar interests. People are passionate about fishing and everything about it so it great to see that.
Cheers
Jase

PinHead
13-01-2012, 02:13 PM
:DBragging rights hey ?

Well - let's not let this one drag out! ......I reckon I created it :-[ ...... certainly on this site

Ben Hur (Mondy Muster Part 1 & 2) ........ 3728 Posts & 115,961 views before it was (controversially) locked
I know at the time it was well ahead of the joke of the day. The Seignfeld of the forum world ;D

Chris

is that the one Nagg, where you were being your environemental self and starting fires?

Moonlighter
13-01-2012, 02:16 PM
No measures of "quality" are involved here, just volume as mentioned in my OP. Number of views, and number of replies to the original post. Content might be, and probably is, complete garbage in most cases.

Thanks Mossy, not aimed at you!

God, if we wanted to include quality in the criteria it would immediately rule out just about eveny post ever started! Dont even want to think about going there.

Cheers, and keep the posts coming guys!

ML

Marlin_Mike
13-01-2012, 02:20 PM
One of my favorites was a long time ago. I didn't start it, but was a great thread that went for a while............... White Ants in The Play Pen I think it was called.

Heres the first page. was great reading.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?66409-White-Ants-in-the-Play-Pen/page43&highlight=white+ants+play

Mike

PS....giving the curry munchers another pasting......4 for 63 before lunch....go you good thing

finga
13-01-2012, 04:46 PM
The thread of all threads was Charlie's "how to catch a feed offish in Moreton Bay"
What a corker :)
And that was the precise reason how/why I found Ausfish. I was looking at how to catch a fish in Moreton Bay.
It's a pity Charlie's thread was about 5 years too late.

And then there was the North QLD chop one and the all boats will be cats with 5hp motors on them that appeared in the boating section.

Smithy
13-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Who could forget "The Boat of The Year" that introduced us to Troy in a big way and the infamous "NQ Chop".

PinHead
13-01-2012, 06:05 PM
stop it Smithy..damn near choked on my beer.

NAGG
13-01-2012, 06:20 PM
is that the one Nagg, where you were being your environemental self and starting fires?

Someone wanted to tag that thread with it ........ but the thread started close to 2 years earlier!

Chris

rando
18-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Iank started "Sounder Reading" in 2004 so far 162000 (approx) views and 608 replies. Best post ever in my opinion.

wags on the water
18-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Iank started "Sounder Reading" in 2004 so far 162000 (approx) views and 608 replies. Best post ever in my opinion.

and it's still going Rob.

softplasticsdude79
18-01-2012, 07:02 PM
i started a good one on fishnet around 6 months ago,it was a innocent rant about how all the fishing shows are about PPB snapper,Tassie trout and NT barra,i said there should be more about blokes in tinnies with 15hp motors in estuaries,it turned into 10-15 pages of shitfight in 2-3 days and was then removed.dont know views or posts,but i remember thinking how quick it was getting a new post.

STUIE63
18-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I was going to say ants in the playpen but Mike already beat me to it . another really good one was Blaze's rebuild thread both these two should be required reading when you join .