PDA

View Full Version : Consignment

merseybluenose
13-01-2012, 08:38 AM
If a boat is on consignment in a yard can you ask for the owners details and contact them privately?? Have seen some shocking mark ups lately - one fella wanted $5500 for his boat and the yard put $7990 on it.......

fisho8
13-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah mate some of them arn't bad you will see this all the time as most yard have differant commission rates. I had my 17ftr in at a dealer when I was selling it but still had it on boatsales at the same time and managed to sell it myself so it saved me paying the 10% commission you will find they will not give you the details of the person due to them being a client as they need to abide by the privacy act.

finga
13-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Probably not as you'll go to the owner and offer him $6,000 so he'll take it out of the yard and sell to you.
Boatyard will miss out on their commission won't they.

But I suppose you could find out who owns it by the rego papers. Ask to sell them.

Jarrah Jack
13-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Don't take much notice of the advertised price, make an offer and see how it goes if you want the boat. I had a number of low ball offers out when I brought my new boat two weeks ago. You have nothing to lose.

merseybluenose
13-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Cheers lads, thought that maybe the case but never had any experience with them.

gruntahunta
13-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Mate, if you saw the boat in the yard, the boat dealer is running a business and is entitled to be paid if you buy it, thats just good ethics. He pays to have the location and that is why the seller has put it in there, to attract buyers to his boat.

I would not dream of trying to go under handed and cut him out!

merseybluenose
13-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Grunta - Not talking about doing anything underhanded at all just wanted to knowm whether it was possible.

Jarrah - with the amount of boats I've been looking at and the prices I'm definitely prepared just to make an offer and walk away.....so many out there!!

Noelm
13-01-2012, 11:01 AM
To do a consignement properly requires a bit of work from the dealer, some however will just let you leave the boat there and charge a premium, this is not 100% legal, but goes on just the same, MOST dealers will ask the owner how much they want or the boat, and they take a percentage, they do NOT normally just add a few grand "on top", the dealers will also usually take full responsibility for the boat, it's legal owner and also detail the boat and sometimes offer a warranty, they do NOT just sell a boat and make money for nothing!

SUPERDAFF
13-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Noelm and Gruntahunta's comments are absolutely spot on. I have sold two of my boats on consignment through a local franchised dealer which has been in business more than 60 years here on Brisbane's eastern bayside. Both times the experience has been terrific. In terms of protecting the future buyer, I have had to provide all paperwork to prove my true ownership, they double checked every detail on servicing, current state of outboard tune and serviceability, hull integrity etc (all made a bit easier by them having sold and serviced the second boat all its life since new). They also looked after the boat perfectly, displayed it on their web site, took potential people for demonstration runs, secured the price which we discussed and agreed was fair value in the first place and gave me accurate feedback about inquiry levels throughout the process. Of vital importance, the transfer of ownership paperwork only got signed on the day of hand-over and payment. Cannot speak highly enough of them. I know some people on Ausfish have had bad experiences, but I guess that can happen at all levels in life. It's where brand, reputation, integrity and experience count. Life is not about who can screw the most out of whom. Oh, and when I later found a spare new reef anchor, rollers, motor cover, and other bits and pieces in the boat shed, I simply gave them to the dealership who in turn gave them to the new owners of my boat .. I got a thank you note in due course. IMO, the guys deserved every cent of the commission and when, after the first six weeks, I offered an added cash incentive for the salesperson who sells the boat, I was advised that the offer was not necessary and that they were happy with our original agreement. The boat sold a week later. Yep ... worth every cent of the commission and I still got the price I was originally seeking. Treat people with respect, courtesy and fairness and you'll find that very often, it all comes back around. Superdaff

The Woo
13-01-2012, 06:10 PM
^^^ Nicely said mate.

Marlin_Mike
13-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Noelm and Gruntahunta's comments are absolutely spot on. I have sold two of my boats on consignment through a local franchised dealer which has been in business more than 60 years here on Brisbane's eastern bayside. Both times the experience has been terrific. In terms of protecting the future buyer, I have had to provide all paperwork to prove my true ownership, they double checked every detail on servicing, current state of outboard tune and serviceability, hull integrity etc (all made a bit easier by them having sold and serviced the second boat all its life since new). They also looked after the boat perfectly, displayed it on their web site, took potential people for demonstration runs, secured the price which we discussed and agreed was fair value in the first place and gave me accurate feedback about inquiry levels throughout the process. Of vital importance, the transfer of ownership paperwork only got signed on the day of hand-over and payment. Cannot speak highly enough of them. I know some people on Ausfish have had bad experiences, but I guess that can happen at all levels in life. It's where brand, reputation, integrity and experience count. Life is not about who can screw the most out of whom. Oh, and when I later found a spare new reef anchor, rollers, motor cover, and other bits and pieces in the boat shed, I simply gave them to the dealership who in turn gave them to the new owners of my boat .. I got a thank you note in due course. IMO, the guys deserved every cent of the commission and when, after the first six weeks, I offered an added cash incentive for the salesperson who sells the boat, I was advised that the offer was not necessary and that they were happy with our original agreement. The boat sold a week later. Yep ... worth every cent of the commission and I still got the price I was originally seeking. Treat people with respect, courtesy and fairness and you'll find that very often, it all comes back around. Superdaff

If they are that good, name them so we who may sell a boat in the future will know who to go to.

Mike

finga
13-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Well said Mike.
There are some horror stories where people have had their boats on consignment.

Treat people with respect, courtesy and fairness and you'll find that very often, it all comes back around. Superdaff
Absolutely.
How do know which dealers believe in this set of morals?

fisho8
13-01-2012, 10:40 PM
If they are that good, name them so we who may sell a boat in the future will know who to go to.

Mike

I am going to take a wild guess and say either Crawford or Wynnum Marine. I looked at trading my 17ftr on a Cruise Craft down at Wynnum Marine they came and picked it up from my house transported it to their dealership did a full inspection delivered it back to me with the trade in value all free of charge and with their inspection sheet. I did not go through with the deal but I gotta say that is pretty good seeing as though I live at Woody Point. I have to say they are a pretty professional outfit.

Marlin_Mike
14-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I am going to take a wild guess and say either Crawford or Wynnum Marine. I looked at trading my 17ftr on a Cruise Craft down at Wynnum Marine they came and picked it up from my house transported it to their dealership did a full inspection delivered it back to me with the trade in value all free of charge and with their inspection sheet. I did not go through with the deal but I gotta say that is pretty good seeing as though I live at Woody Point. I have to say they are a pretty professional outfit.

In the past I have bought a boat, 2 outboards, the brother in law bought two boats form them, Wynnum Marine that is, have to agree, they are professional and excellent to deal with. Highly recommend them.
Cheers

Mike

SUPERDAFF
14-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Fisho08 and Marlin Mike
Wasn't going to mention the name, but you are absolutely correct - it was Wynnum Marine. In a related vein, Marty, a first time boat owning neighbor, purchased a new Signature from down the coast. Ten days ago, he phones me from the water saying the transducer is no longer on the transom, but now in the motor well. What should he do? Given that he had launched at MBTBC at Manly, I advised him to ring Darren at Wynnum Marine to get it checked out... Darren might be able to have a quick look on the spot. Pulls the boat out of the water, drives to Wynnum Marine. A short time later all is fixed and tested (two 'blind' bolts are thought to have been omitted in the installation). The cost? Zero. Why? He was told that as a new boat owner he shouldn't have to drive back down the coast to get something like that sorted out on a brand new rig. Marty says he didn't know what to do. So he went into the retail area, had a look around a bought a large chiller box. I've got no doubt the original selling dealer would have fixed it as well for no charge, given the fit-up guys a bit of a rev later and been sincerely apologetic. And I've got no doubt, it's the sort of thing that could have happened anywhere... and it's not the end of the world. But that's not the point - it's that there are some dealerships which continually try a bit harder to consistently out perform the rest. We can be thankful for that. Superdaff

gruntahunta
14-01-2012, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=merseybluenose;1343814]Grunta - Not talking about doing anything underhanded at all just wanted to knowm whether it was possible.

Merseybluenose....I am not suggesting you are or were...It's just that people sometimes do not think before they act and I was simply explaining what you suggested was immoral...Good on you for asking first before you went and did it.

johncar
14-01-2012, 09:20 AM
There shouldn't be any problem putting buyer and seller in touch with each other after the sale if both parties agree because it can be helpful if any questions need to be asked either way and there should be nothing to hide from a reputable dealers point of view. The Dealers are indeed entitled to a fair and agreed commission for their part in the sale, so there should be no surprises there.
Even though I hear these good results on here with consignment experiences, I am reluctant to do another consignment without taking plenty of precaution and making sure everything is done correctly and no surprises.
My experience was with a popular bayside dealer and no need to say who because it was quite some time ago now and not relevant to today.
I was possibly a bit naive back then but I asked about consignment and yes all the BS sounded OK and they agreed verbally to my requirements. My boat was pristeen as new condition and I fully detailed it prior and as they had a large under cover area they promised me it would be put there and not left out side.
I lived a fair distance away so I didn't drop in regularly as I should have to check on things and I trusted them. Anyway a month went by and nothing happening so I dropped into the yard and was quite disgusted in what I found. My boat was outside under gum trees covered in brown leaf stains, canopy had collapsed under the weight of rainwater from recent storm, the fuel tank cell was full to the brim with tea coloured water and the tank was actually under water because no one down there bothered to take the bung out. Everything full of tea coloured water!! The boat looked a mess and why would anyone buy it???.
Anyway meez not happy! went up to their office had a few words and told them I was taking it now. They said yeah you can take it after you pay for the engine report and service they had done. This came as an unknown surprise as my boat was fully up to date servicing wise and the engine was as new I just remember it was a fair sting and I was up for a lot of work and cost to repair and clean the boat. I paid them the money having little choice and got out of there as fast as I could.
So it can be bad and it can be good, I won't do it again and would rather just perhaps take a bit longer to sell than go through that sort of crap. If I was just selling a basic open tinnie I might risk it but make sure that the transfer and payment is done direct to me and not the dealer, Then pay the Dealer commission and any agreed fees. Understand the risk of presigning the transfer papers. Plus I would drop by every few days and check on the boat, make sure it is being looked after, also make sure that you are aware of any other costs such as "blah blah engine or hull inspections or reports" Set conditions with the dealer if you manage to sell elsewhere, and everything in writing and signed by both parties and the principal of the dealership not just a sales person.
But anyway successful consignments are done every day, probably only a few go belly up, just have to be careful.

Black_Rat
14-01-2012, 09:28 AM
If a boat is on consignment in a yard can you ask for the owners details and contact them privately?? Have seen some shocking mark ups lately - one fella wanted $5500 for his boat and the yard put $7990 on it.......

Do a seach of boatpoint / boat sales ect. for the boat there may be an old advertisment out there with there contact details.

Whilst surfing Boatpoint i've notiuce a few boats had been advertised privately and in a yard, may be worth a go.

gruntahunta
14-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Do a seach of boatpoint / boat sales ect. for the boat there may be an old advertisment out there with there contact details.

Whilst surfing Boatpoint i've notiuce a few boats had been advertised privately and in a yard, may be worth a go.

Black Rat....I think that suggestion is totally immoral...He found the boat in a Boat Dealers yard!!!!!!...It is like you getting a builder to draw up plans for you to do an extension for example, then use those plans to build it your self and give the builder nothing for his work???...BLOODY IMMORAL

Black_Rat
14-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Black Rat....I think that suggestion is totally immoral...He found the boat in a Boat Dealers yard!!!!!!...It is like you getting a builder to draw up plans for you to do an extension for example, then use those plans to build it your self and give the builder nothing for his work???...BLOODY IMMORAL

I'd be paying the builder to draw the plans so technically I own them ;D

Immoral ? I couldn't give a $hit ! :)

It may stem from a certain boat yard who contact me to sell my boat on consignment when I had my boat for sale publically on Boatpoint. I politley told him I wasn't interested as he had 2 other similar ones in his yard. His abuse was meet with a beep beep beep beep on the other end as I hung up on him.

SUPERDAFF
14-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Johncar
Feel sorry for you about your experience, but again, another classic example of why brand, reputation, integrity and experience are so important. Stick with the top operators. Superdaff

SUPERDAFF
14-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd be paying the builder to draw the plans so technically I own them

Black Rat, I don't want to upset you on this magic weekend (or any other day for that matter), but your thought on plans and "technical' ownership, is not legally correct. In court your assertion, would get absolutely kaboomed. The builder or the architect owns the copyright irrespective of whether you paid him and irrespective of whether the plans reflect your idea. You have one time access to them, not ownership. Unfair as it seems, legally, you cannot even make alterations to your existing house without referencing the original architect. Here's the solution: If you ever get plans drawn, make the vesting of copyright with you, a condition of the transaction. That solves the issue. In terms of an architect from yesterday and having to reference a change to your home, I would be stunned if any architect actually enforced it other than were the design for a 'landmark' home. I know it seems unfair, but don't rev me, rev the governments which made the laws. And don't start me on the dividing fences provisions, squatters rights, the ownership of DNA profiles or a myriad of other things which to a reasonable person, also have provisions which at face value seem excruciatingly unfair. Payment alone does not always confer ownership and unfettered use. Weird, but true. Superdaff

Black_Rat
14-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Black Rat, I don't want to upset you on this magic weekend (or any other day for that matter), but your thought on plans and "technical' ownership, is not legally correct. In court your assertion, would get absolutely kaboomed. The builder or the architect owns the copyright irrespective of whether you paid him and irrespective of whether the plans reflect your idea. You have one time access to them, not ownership. Unfair as it seems, legally, you cannot even make alterations to your existing house without referencing the original architect. Here's the solution: If you ever get plans drawn, make the vesting of copyright with you, a condition of the transaction. That solves the issue. In terms of an architect from yesterday and having to reference a change to your home, I would be stunned if any architect actually enforced it other than were the design for a 'landmark' home. I know it seems unfair, but don't rev me, rev the governments which made the laws. And don't start me on the dividing fences provisions, squatters rights, the ownership of DNA profiles or a myriad of other things which to a reasonable person, also have provisions which at face value seem excruciatingly unfair. Payment alone does not always confer ownership and unfettered use. Weird, but true. Superdaff

Yes the construction industry never ceases to amaze me ! Best not to make a comment on intelleuctual property rights then hey ?! :P;D

SUPERDAFF
14-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Black Rat, now you're on the pace. By the way, your response included DNA in a reference to the 'construction industry' I've not thought of it that way before but mate, you are 100 percent right. DNA is how we are built. With your permission, I'm going to dine out on that line... it's brilliant whether intentional or not. Superdaff

gruntahunta
14-01-2012, 12:29 PM
BLACK RAT says... "Immoral ? I couldn't give a $hit"......says it all hey mate....Obviously you have never owned a business and rely on morals. 2 wrongs never make a right...

Black_Rat
14-01-2012, 12:54 PM
BLACK RAT says... "Immoral ? I couldn't give a $hit"......says it all hey mate....Obviously you have never owned a business and rely on morals. 2 wrongs never make a right...
I aint your mate !

So if old mate does a search and finds it’s legitimately advertised as a private sale and is also advertised through a dealer (this does happen) he is morally obliged to purchase it through the dealer at a higher price because that’s where the boat resides ? pffttttt……… ::) His hard earned cash is better in his pocket !

A fool and his money are soon parted!

ovakil
14-01-2012, 04:15 PM
When I had bought my boat,I was first going through boat yard.I had offered a price which didn't get accepted.Later I got in touch with owner agreed on a price which was lower than dealer.Found out that dealer had told owner a price lower than I had said.Obviously trying to make more money.