PDA

View Full Version : Ice boxes--Quality and guarentees

Cav(J.C.)
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi guys and girls,
Two years ago--give or take--I purchases a Techni Ice box. REMEMBER THE NAME. The price was very reasonable compared to some brands from camping and fishing stores etc. It was DELIVERED to my house complete with complimemtary re-freezable flexible ice blocks.
It has been on my boat for this time, and has had it fair share of fish and bait stored. I'ts insularion properties are remarkable. the outside and inside are moulded food grade polyethelene, and really easy to keep clean.
Now here comes the good part---after my days fishing yesterday, I noticed one of the little clips which holds a rope which stops the lid from going all the way back and breaking, had come adrift.
As the company has a 1800 no. on the box, I decided to give them a ring, and see what I could glue it back with. I also wanted to know how to replace the hinge pins which were rusting.
A very helpful gentleman confirmes my purchase from two years ago (sometimes computers are marvellous things) and said because the product has a LIFETIME GUARENTEE I could pack the box up, and send it FREE OF CHARGE via Aust.post. Gave me all the details as to how this could be done, and on receipt would send me a NEW ONE with stainless steel hinge pins, and six refreezable ice modules.
I truely am so delighted. it is refreshing to give a company the thumbs up.
Now all I have to do is hope the company that distributes my ice maker has the same attitude.--watch this space.
John Cav.

Mossy247
12-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Yeah mate - I got the set of them many years ago, still going good as the day i got them. Quality product which is backed up! Can't ask for any more.
Cheers, mossy

Mrs Ronnie H
12-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi
Thats really good service. Bet you're happy with that.

Ronnie

tropicrows
12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Got to be happy with service like that.

john b ward
12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
your comment's sold me. checked out there webpage will have one for the easter trip away
thanks

Boat Hog
12-01-2012, 03:51 PM
J.C. that is bloody brilliant;D A lot of places would have just sold you the replacement bits or sent them out under warranty for you to fix yourself!

Now ... if only they made boats .....

Cheers,

trymyluck
12-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Its great to hear a story of not good service but great service from an Australian company. I'm the same, want a small esky for the boat and a larger one for a live bait tank and I know where I'll be getting them from.

Mark

scuttlebutt
12-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I got one last year. Brilliant esky, paid $140 delivered (100 litre). A country mile in front of anything else on the market, good to hear their warranty is solid as well!

datamile
12-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Same here. Mine got a crack in the corner. Took pictures, they said send it back (freepost) so that they could do some quality analysis. New one in the post a few days later without any issues.

NAGG
12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
That's exceptional service ......

Chris

Linedropper
12-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Cheers. I'll grab a 70L off them when the credit card looks a bit healthier.

hilta1
12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I should have brought those instead of the 3 Tropical ones i purchased,2 of the tropicals have problems and they never wanted to know about it!!! Tecni ice were half the price! Moulded hinge on back of 1 looks like it has burst and the other you cant keep the bungy chord that keeps them shut attached! Tecni ice for me next time

robsue
13-01-2012, 06:10 AM
i have techni ice 40/120/200 litre, great for camping and saving on buying ice, with the ice lasting a lot longer

ozscott
13-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Yep - I have 3 of them that are about 6 years or so old now - fantastic items. I have a custom made alloy one made from cold room material and rarely use it now - too heavy and sharp corners. The techni ones are great in a boat - get yellow, if you go down its a good colour to bob around on...

Cheers

Peter4
13-01-2012, 08:40 AM
your comment's sold me

Yep, me too. Have ordered one for the boat.

You should ask for a spotters fee mate!;D

pipifin
13-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Just checked their website and I have a problem with them.
Their prices are so good that I keep thinking "I'll just go up a size cos it's only an extra few bucks".... now I'm at a point where I'm not sure I will have room for it LOL. A this rate I will be trying to fit the 1100L model onto my 3.7mtr tinny...... hmmm maybe I will just attach the outboard to the 1100L model and flick the tinny.
Thanks CAV

Cav(J.C.)
13-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Peter4,
Just so good to say something nice about a product and service. Aus. suppliers of all goods and services should take note, that accolades are money in the bank.
Dont want a spotters---just want to be happy.
Best wishes,
John Cav.

Brightsbane
13-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Hmmm... Definitely going to order a pack but what size? I have a 5m Half Cab and was thinking the 100L for the boat and 60L for general purpose. Anyone with the 100L? Is it to big for my boat? Will need to fit ice, drinks, lunch, bait and macs/snapper.

Jarrah Jack
13-01-2012, 11:47 AM
A mate uses them for his business. At last count he had about a dozen of them going up to the largest size that you could hide a body in. They get very rough treatment and are constantly checked by various health inspectors. He hasn't had any trouble with them after years of use.

Cav(J.C.)
13-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Same here. Mine got a crack in the corner. Took pictures, they said send it back (freepost) so that they could do some quality analysis. New one in the post a few days later without any issues.
Hi datamile,
As a matter of interest, did you have any trouble with Aus. post using the "reply paid " system set up by Techni ice for return of product.
I had a big problem with the local post office, quite rude actually, so had to ring Aus post business branch which organised---- after two hours of negotiations a "one off" return of the ice box. Totally refused to contact Global Nat. Aus.--The main company, to check on the contract details.
I believe Global Nat will be asking for an explanation
Cheers,
John Cav.

Peter4
13-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Hmmm... Definitely going to order a pack but what size? I have a 5m Half Cab and was thinking the 100L for the boat and 60L for general purpose. Anyone with the 100L? Is it to big for my boat? Will need to fit ice, drinks, lunch, bait and macs/snapper.

Dimensions are on the website, both base area and lid area (plus height)...

Suggest you measure your available space and purchase accordingly (that's what I did!)...

datamile
13-01-2012, 04:51 PM
John . Don't remember any dramas at the PO when I sent it back.

Esky Size. Do check them. I have the 120L, and its larger that I thought it would be. Takes two to carry when full for camping. Use the icepacks too when just taking a few beers out.

littlemac
13-01-2012, 06:06 PM
now that is what i call true customer delight, great to hear of the type of business

cheers

brett

MyWay
14-01-2012, 12:33 AM
how good is that
that is excellent customer service

cheers

Blackened
14-01-2012, 07:06 AM
G'day

I too have the techni ice boxes.... a 70L and a 90 or 100L(long skinny one), both been abused and are fantastic but alas, the hinges are also rusting badly. May have to give them a call.

Dave

theoldlegend
14-01-2012, 09:23 AM
A mate uses them for his business. At last count he had about a dozen of them going up to the largest size that you could hide a body in. They get very rough treatment and are constantly checked by various health inspectors. He hasn't had any trouble with them after years of use.

What's his line of business? Funerals? No, best you don't say. :-?

TOL

Triple
14-01-2012, 09:42 AM
For fitment in your boat, using measurements will give you an idea but you may underestimate the hazards of walking around it and sitting on it etc
Get the measurements from the website and go out the back of your local cnr shop and "borrow" some large cardboard boxes. Knock it up to the same dimensions to check, that way you know exactly where and how it will fit and where you can move it around the boat when loaded with more people or gear. You don't want to spend a few hundred $$$ and then find it is too big or that you should of got the bigger one.

Kevin Ferguson
14-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Good info & great customer service. Company noted for future reference / purchases. Might I suggest that all who are intending to purchase make the company aware of this post and the influence it had on your decision to purchase their products. Gotta give them credit where it is due & will establish a " cost benefit " of this service for the bean counters further down the track. Cheers Kevin

champion
14-01-2012, 08:58 PM
When i next but an esky it will be a "Techni Ice box"
Its not hard to offer a good product will follow up service !!

This thread alone to date will make them $1000. How do business' get it so wrong ?

waterbouy
15-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Ice Kool in Caloundra are great for replacement parts, But their new ice box's delaminate! The 1st we bought was a 80L is in better cond than the 200L which delaminated after the 1st trip. The 25L and 130L also newer models are delaminating, which I dont think is good for holding the ice. Gonna touch base with them and see what we can come up with. Will let u's know. We purchased the techni ice pack (re useable) - $120. They said the packs would arrive by the time we needed them, but didn't. Indians where running the show then/ where based in VIC somewhere, dunno about now. But the re-usable ice packs explode in the freezer and fall apart (the gel/jelly goes everywhere), so they are ok for the lunch box for a day at work.

Tailortaker
15-01-2012, 02:55 PM
I used my 70l for the first time this week, Went camping for 4 days and the ice was as good when i got home as it was on day one 1. A big difference from my old ice boxes that i needed to renew the ice daily !

Muddy Toes
15-01-2012, 03:19 PM
We purchased the techni ice pack (re useable) - $120. They said the packs would arrive by the time we needed them, but didn't. Indians where running the show then/ where based in VIC somewhere, dunno about now. But the re-usable ice packs explode in the freezer and fall apart (the gel/jelly goes everywhere), so they are ok for the lunch box for a day at work.

What the hell did you do with them??? I've had the same 15 techni ice packs for years and I've done nothing in the way of looking after them, stuff gets thrown on top of em, they get thrown on the ground, thawed out, re freezed you name it I've done it to them and they are still like new.Just don't put them in your fish/bait esky as they absorb the fishy smell in the end.

Cav(J.C.)
17-01-2012, 08:18 AM
What the hell did you do with them??? I've had the same 15 techni ice packs for years and I've done nothing in the way of looking after them, stuff gets thrown on top of em, they get thrown on the ground, thawed out, re freezed you name it I've done it to them and they are still like new.Just don't put them in your fish/bait esky as they absorb the fishy smell in the end.

I don't know either "muddy toes". I've had mine for about two years, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Use them both for keeping fish cold, and wrapping around coldies in a round insulated container. More efficient than an ice maker (I have one) easy to hose off, and if they do smell, a soak in VERY light nappy san will do the trick.
John Cav.

David Ambler
17-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes John I found them to be a mighty good outfit also. I purchased four Techni Ice iceboxes ( Huge to large lunchbox size) in one of their package deals on the internet one Sunday about twelve months ago. I think they cost me around $800. Can't quite remember. I received them from Melbourne to home here in Queensland the following Tuesday!!! Very well packed. Fabulous quality. Money very well spent I am sure. Proud to know they are Australian made.

We took the big one down to the Ballina Fisherman's Co-operative in the back of the StrangeRover and purchased 100kg of fresh mullet for $1.30 per kg around Easter last year. That is the main reason I got them. Really only wanted one huge one but the package deal was too good to pass up.

I noticed Woolworths had mullet fillets on sale at $15.99 per kg last week. Must admit I would much prefer to be eating self caught Redthroat or Coral Trout. Just gotta sell up here and move to the coast with a good offshore outfit.!! If I get my act together sooner rather than later I can use the mullet fillets for bait...

Cheers!! Dave.

David Ambler
17-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Yep yellow is the way to go. I reckon if the boat sank the wife and I could probably fit in the big bruiser we purchased in the package. Just massive.